Zoom G3n/G5N platform, tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ballynally, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Gam59

Gam59 Member

G3n/G5n are not meant to be used with third party impulse response.

I can't get the same response like I have on Helix Native with the same amp and the same IR. It's too muddy and flat.

It's sounds better with an internal cab (BGN4x12) mic off and a bit of extra top end.

godoy.rafa likes this.
  2. godoy.rafa

godoy.rafa Member

Mic off even when plugging in line?

3. Gam59

Gam59 Member

indeed it's a bit weird, it works way better for me... but honestly no better than the internal one.

I mean it's not like the Helix. If you use the same Irs it will sounds roughly the same.

But not straight of the box with Zoom. You will need some extra work.

4. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

Really interesting. I thought it could sound better in a recording using only the amps without cabs and free IR's via DAW.

But, for live applications without any cab simulator/pedal the internals are enough, for me the BGN4x12 is the flatter one, really "transparent", I use mostly for the cleans and mic off too.

I want to try some Mooer Micro Preamps before the G3n/G5n using the internal cabs to see what happens.

5. Beehive

Beehive Member

I disagree and personally prefer using impulse responses instead of the Zoom cabs. I don’t have anything bad to say about the Zoom cabs, but I have a few impulses that I really like and I can’t seem to match. IR loaders also give you some more control such as HPF and LPF.

So, do what you want. If you already have some impulses that you like: an IR loader can work for you. If you like the Zoom cabs: use them.

6. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

7. godoy.rafa

godoy.rafa Member

How do you use the IRs? Do you have an IR pedal, or do you use computer software?

8. Gam59

Gam59 Member

There is no fx loop.
    That's mean modulation, delay and reverb before IRs/cabs will never be optimal.

9. Beehive

Beehive Member

Optimal is in the ear of the beholder.

godoy.rafa likes this.
  10. Beehive

Beehive Member

I’ve only used it on the computer. I personally use NadIR with Catharsis Fredman impulses. Both are free.

godoy.rafa likes this.
  11. viden

viden Member

Well... Still this is how all pedal boards for real amps are set up. You'll never have those effects post power amp cabs and mic there so I wouldn't consider this as a problem. Heck a lot of players don't even put them in the loop of there tube amp 'cause they're running it as a clean platform...

12. Gam59

Gam59 Member

I'm saying. An Irs will cut some frequencies on your delay and reverb and You will loose clarity.

That why a lot of brands advise to use after IR.

Now, do what you want to do.

13. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Member

Like most people (I guess), I used to put my delay after the cab, in my Zoom G5n patches.
    But recently I've now moved it in front of the amp on most of my presets.
    Mainly so the Delay is visible when I'm in stomp mode (I always am).

So, a typical patch for me is:
    Compressor (on and hidden at front of chain)

Then, say, Wah (or other pitch shifters if needed).
    Then Overdrive or booster.
    Then Delay.
    I save the patch so those 3 are in view and easily switchable when I engage that preset.

Then Amp, Amp, Cab, Reverb,
    NR either end of the chain.

The downside of the G5n is there's only 4 visible stomps without scrolling.
    The upside is, it's dead easy to move something in the chain and hear what difference it makes in a different place.
    To my ears, placing the delay before the amp sounds about the same as after the cab, so I'll put it where I can see it.

godoy.rafa likes this.
  14. jimfist

jimfist Member

With delay/echo before the amp, your preamp will have an impact on the echo to some degree. If you have a lot of amp model preamp gain, then you're distorting any echo signal that is strong enough to be overdriven at the preamp stage. Whether this is a good or bad thing is purely subjective, and having effects and echo BEFORE an amp's input was pretty much the only way to do it back in the old school days (reverb could be supplied by the amp head itself - spring reverb). The guitar sound I always refer to is guitar solo in the Flock of Seagulls "I Ran", which seems to me to have a key part of the sound being the echo distorted by the amp.

If you want the echo to only repeat what is given at it's input with the utmost "clean" signal, then you would put it post-cabinet (sim), if that's what you're going for.

Keep in mind that for years, the Echoplex and Roland Space echo were ubiquitous delays used in the 1970s and early 1980s, and their preamps and tape saturation were just part of "the sound" guitarists were going for with their amp rigs. U2's Edge is a big fan of the preamp in the Korg SDD 3000 delay.

IMHO, if you want to use an external IR device for cab sims, then just put the delay after the amp (preamp) model, and then the cab IR following. It will - for all practical purposes - sound pretty much the same as if the echo were after the cab IR.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  15. ballynally

ballynally Member

and to add: i now have 3 basic use for the 3 footswitches (FS) i use for all my patches:
    FT1: EP booster, FT2: RC booster, FT3: compressor. Basically 2 boost pedals plus compression for long sparse solos.There might be other effects in the patch but the screens/FTs show the 3 main ones i turn off and on.

16. Beehive

Beehive Member

I opened the folder but there’s nothing in there. Maybe the files aren’t “shareable”?

17. ballynally

ballynally Member

i will take a look..

edit: i did make a shareable link.
    here it is again:

i do realise there might be a problem playing the track but it can still be downloaded.
    Im not sure..
    but you might be able to click on the top right popup to open it

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Beehive likes this.
  18. Beehive

Beehive Member

Sounds good, my friend! I really feel like this unit leaves little to be desired in the effects department. The HX effects are only marginally better to my ears (though they are the ears of a simple man).

19. ballynally

ballynally Member

Thanks! if i were in an 80s band with a lot of phaser/flanger/chorus i would look elsewhere.
    If i'd be relying on amp sims and/or overdrive ditto.
    Luckily im more into reverb/delay and they are very good, from a short reflection verb to a tape echo, digital delay and beyond, all acceptable.I was surprised that both the vibrato and tremolo effects,both of which i use extensively are also good.And im a Fender Vibroverb guy!
    Plus, the boosts are really good (EP/RC).I use them for solo's sometimes if im not using my Timmy.
    The G3n takes a little off the original signal but you can compensate that by either boosting the volume on the G3n or, like i do, have a clean boost between my drive pedals and the G3n..

20. jimfist

jimfist Member

Do you mean the overall signal level? With all effects/blocks bypassed in a patch, did you try to match the "original" using the Patch Settings "LEVEL" setting? It's the setting on the same screen on the Main Menu as where you re-name a patch.

If memory serves me correctly, I was able to level match my G5n (and B3n) so that bypass signal through the pedal was virtually the same as if I weren't using the pedal at all (used a digital mixer for metering and visual feedback, and recorded one of each to cross-check results).

All bets are off, though, with individual effects or blocks engaged.