Zoom G3n/G5N platform, tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ballynally, Feb 1, 2017.

1. ballynally

ballynally Member

i cant recall what i set as the general output level but i remember noticing a little signal loss prior to that.Like you said, when you go into individual effects or patch levels one has to re-adjust to get to parity.What i do now is to use a clean boost prior to the G3n so the level going into the unit and further into the amp is a tad higher also, even compared to a dry in signal.
    I think that's a good idea in general when using mfx units, or even pedals..

jimfist likes this.
  2. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Member

Thanks for the clip, sounds good for sure.
    You mention at the end that you also use a Zoom MS50G, to help when switching guitars.
    Can you explain that a bit more?
    What do you typically use on the MS50? and where does it go - before or after the G3n?

I have a perfectly good Digitech RP355 that has a good looper and other nice sims like pitch shifter, reverbs, pedal etc. I haven't considered it before, but I wouldn't mind adding it to the G5n if I could work it in there.

3. blinkroot

blinkroot Member

Hi! I have a question about wah pedals in zoom g5n. What does PFreq and Dry knobs on wah pedals do?

4. Dante35

Dante35 Member

Hey people. I still have driver problem with G5n on Windows 10. Do you guys had any issue with G5n Asio Driver?

I regularly search for an update on Zoom website but never got updated.

The problem always is that Reaper or any of DAWs can't play with Zoom G5n Asio driver. In Reaper error message is that "Error initializing Asio buffers"

I don't have any issue with the chain of Guitar>G5n>Scarlett Solo>PC. Reaper instantly recognizes Scarlett drivers and plays without a problem. But I want to connect my G5n "directly to PC via USB"

Months passed away and still no luck :( And Zoom doesn't do anything when I contact them. No respond.

5. Dante35

Dante35 Member

And the other question is that, how you guys get the stereo effect sounds in recordings? When I use for example PP Delay, I can't get that stereo ping pong delay sound in recording and all delay sounds come equally from left and right. Is there any quick tip you can give me?

BTW I always connect Scarlett Solo from the output of R (Stereo) G5n

6. ballynally

ballynally Member

i have my Zoom ms50G as the first pedal before anything. I use it to set level gain between various guitars, i finetune specific pickups/amps/ speakers combis w the para and graphic EQ and use that for acoustic guitars both steel and nylon string, slide, mandolin etc as well.
    If you look at what it does it's actually amazing f such a small pedal.noise reduction, EQ, boost, compression, level control, effects, etc.Your main multifx unit in a stompbox for 80 $! And with a tuner.
    The great thing is that you can designate slots to A-Z for specific gigs, de- designate it for other gigs.so, if i gig w both Telecaster and Les Paul (which i have controlled to get level parity) i use those pre slots to A and B.
    I actually have a separate EQ setting for the tele neck pickup so A,B and C.
    Then the next gig i play western swing/rockabilly w my ES295 P90s i put that to A or with the same boosted for B, etc.
    It's just such a great small pedal i can't help b tell everybody about it.
    It also has amp sims which i hardly use.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  7. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

It doesn't make any difference in your tone putting 2 multifx together (G3/MS50G)?

I'm seriously thinking to buy the MS70 CDR to run together with the G3Xn, but initialy only as a modverb and shimmer. My only concern is if the thing become too harsh or too digital.

8. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

In my opinion you should use both outputs of G5n into the Scarlett Solo.

9. ballynally

ballynally Member

not in my experience.maybe in case of certain effects that do not sound great anyway (like the flanger imo).
    I think people make too much out of the digital vs analog debate.
    Digital effects are so good nowadays that it really becomes a nitpicking exercise imo, especially for use in a band setting.
    One caveat, and this is generally excepted w multi fx (especially budget units like the Zoom): drives like OD are still better with analog.That's where the difference really becomes apparent..

10. Dante35

Dante35 Member

And how can I out from two outputs to one input (On Scarlett Solo)

And what I know is that G5n's L output is mono and R output is stereo.

11. efrisch

efrisch Member

If your interface is mono (which it appears it is), there isn't any way for you to get stereo into it from the G5n. You need to patch both the L and R outputs for that (typically, the L would be used if you only need mono). That also explains why you aren't hearing both sides of your stereo delays.

12. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

That's what I do. Analog drives/distortions and modulation/delay/reverb from Zoom, it sounds really good for me.

My only complaint is that the new G series should have more updates, as modverb and shimmer and stuff like that.

13. Dante35

Dante35 Member

Yes Scarlett Solo is mono.

Then it seems I REALLY need to connect my G5n directly to my PC to get stereo signal, right?

When I connect my Headphones to G5n I get a great stereo tones, but when I put Scarlett Solo between these, I can't get the same tone.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  14. viden

viden Member

The G5n has an audio interface via USB. Just hook it up to your computer that way and you'll be fine.

15. Dante35

Dante35 Member

As I wrote above, I can't use G5n as an interface. There is a problem when I open Reaper says "Error initializing Asio buffers". I am trying it Windows 10 and installed 1.1.0 version of G5n Asio Drivers.

16. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Member

FWIW, my G5n works fine for me with Reaper via USB. But I have Windows 7.

I just connected them again now.
    If I switch Off the Zoom, I get that error message "Error initializing ASIO buffers.
    But, once on, it works well.

Audio System is set to ASIO
    Zoom G5n Asio (1.1.0)
    Enable inputs ON - everything setup for the Zoom In/Out.

Could it be a bad USB connection?

17. Dante35

Dante35 Member

I just fixed finally. Nope it was not a bad connection I tried every port on my PC including 3.0.

I was disabled the microphone settings early to deny any program to use microphone. I have allowed the microphone usage in privacy settings now. It just works. Now it plays and records beautiful in Reaper.

But same question comes again. When I record my playings in Reaper I can't hear the stereo effects but all the effects comes equally from left and right. Is it because of the single track? I hear the stereo effect while playing, but can't hear the same when I listen my single recorded playings.

18. Roseweave

Roseweave Member

Is there a complete list of all the effects you can download for the G3n? How many additional effects are there room for? Can you get rid of some of the existing ones?

I'm wondering if I can get a good shimmer and particle verb effect so I can get rid of my M5.

19. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

You can get rid of some of the existing ones and add any additional you want, all this works through the Guitar Lab software. I think the most recent document they offer is this:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_G5n-V2.0_FX-power-chart.pdf

And no, there is none shimmer yet, I had to made my own, based on what shimmer effect is (ambient reverb + octaves/fifths) and the ParticleR is the same of the Line 6.

20. Roseweave

Roseweave Member

it looks like a shimmer should be easy enough to do with the Ice Delay and church reverb. thanks.

going to have to think about this, lack of synth really bothers me, I had some nice Synth patches on my G3 though I should be able to recreate most of them as they used fuzz + bitcrusher etc.