Zoom G3n/G5N platform, tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ballynally, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Yes. You have to setup the input to be stereo on the track you're arming

2. Roseweave

Roseweave Member

Does the Gn series have any sort of monosynth type thing like the G3? I really want to recreate my G3 patches and one of them involved a saw wave bass.

3. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

I would recommend you to take a look at the Zoom MS-70CDR instead the G3n.

4. Alec246

Alec246 Member

As a Owner of a Zoom G3N, I like the sounds I´m getting through my Headphone. The issue is volume.

Following recommendations to set Gain correctly to avoid internal Clipping, the sound of my Stratocaster is too low. The way I check it is using the Output from Tuner, Master Level at 120. It´s playable, but I wanted it louder.

If I adjust the Vol of the Amp, for example, Fender Twin, for the volume I want, I will be clipping the signal, from what I understand, since Patch Volume + Amp Volume should not exceed 100. If I try another amp, like a Marshall, with High gain, I get way more volume, but it´s due to Gain in Amp. If I want a clean sound, I don´t see how.

Is it because the Heaphone Amp on this unit is weak? Or Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

5. jimfist

jimfist Member

Are you just going by numbers in determining that there's internal clipping going on, or are you HEARING internal clipping?
    Are you comparing the guitar through the bypassed level of the G3n with the level of the guitar with the G3n removed from the signal path entirely - in order to compare their respective levels?

6. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

What headphones are you using? Perhaps your headphones are higher end and require a strong signal.

These are the specs of the headphone out jack:
    Headphones 15 mW +15 mW (into 32 Ω load)

(FWIW, I checked the G5n specs and they're 20 mW +20 mW (into 32 Ω load) )

7. Alec246

Alec246 Member

It's 32Ohm and 96dB Headphones. TakStar Pro 82. If you check Head-Fi, they´re considering this Chinese one of the best competitors for up to 300 dollars Headphones from big brands. It´s really amazing what this sounds like. And easy to drive. I Listen to music from my Laptop at Volume 40 Max.

I´m using numbers, I don´t hear clipping. From what I understand, the level from Tuner Output is the same as the Guitar Level into any pedal or sim? Zoom G3N isn´t doing anything to it, if Master Level is at 100?

8. Gibby77

Gibby77 Member

Yes the tuner output level is the same of a patch without effects or amps etc...is the guitar level!

9. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

10. Codger12

Codger12 Member

I know right, Hooray!

11. benxiwf

benxiwf Member

Does anyone know any way to do a "hold" type effect on the G5n? I'm looking to recreate the sound of the EHX SuperEgo. If you don't know the pedal, it is kind of like a shimmer reverb but you can "freeze" the sound. So say play a chord, hold the pedal down, and you have that sustained while you play other things. Is that possible?

12. Beehive

Beehive Member

Holdverb

13. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

I tried to play the g5n again after so long with the HR and the GT-1000. The effects are still up there at the top, and the drum machine is great but the amp models are miles off the quality of the flagships.

Still, it's decent for its price and I have to remember that it was relatively cheap.

godoy.rafa and Beehive like this.
  14. Beehive

Beehive Member

I feel the same way. I am working on using the Zoom after my HXS for more flexibility with effects. The effects sound every bit as good to my ears.

viden and FuzzFacetious like this.
  15. ReeceM

ReeceM Member

Has anyone tried running separate overdrive pedals into the G5n? I have one and love it, but would love to run some extra pedals before it to free up some processing power and switches. I tried one tonight but it produced a hideous static noise when plugged in. Anyone had similar issues?

16. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Member

I tried it with a little Joyo OD pedal in front of my G5n.
    It sounds a bit too harsh for my ears, even with gain down to zero it affected the tone in a "not good" way.

I could probably start a fresh patch and get it to work better if I added EQ at the front of the G5n, but my existing patches all have an overdrive built in that already sounds much better.

Having said that - like you, I would like to free up some room on the G5n.
    So I've just ordered a Zoom MS50g pedal to go in front.

I think it's Ballynally here that says good things about them. You can use up to 6 affects in one patch on that unit, and scroll through patches with the one footswitch. I'm intending to set up a base patch with Noise Reduction, EQ, Compressor. Then subsequent patches that add say overdrive or modulation like autowah or flanger, HPS, Detune - the sort of things that sit in front of the amp on my G5n.

I think this will work well. It's small and even if I just use it for the first patch with 3 effects on, it will free up enough room on the G5n. Then there's the bonus of being able to have more effects in the chain(s) if I want.

Older Than Dirt likes this.
  17. ReeceM

ReeceM Member

That sounds like a good idea. I’ll have a look into one of those.

18. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Member

They do look really good.
    https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar-bass-effects/multistomp/zoom-ms-50g-multistomp-guitar-pedal

And they are cheap and they are small and they run off batteries.
    I have a Digitech RP255 with expression pedal here which I set up in front of the G5n to offload some of those front end effects.
    It's good, but a bit too big all up both together. Although, the extra expression pedal would be useful as a volume pedal, and it's a good Wah ready to go too.

But the small Zoom ms50g will work well I'm sure, and I can use the G5n pedal for volume pedal, or a lot of other pedal effects, now with a spare slot.

19. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Why not the G1 Four?