Zoom G3n/G5N platform, tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ballynally, Feb 1, 2017.

1. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Member

That'd work too, but it's bigger and has options I don't need.

I like that the ms50g does all I need in one small pedal with one button.

I don't have it yet though...

Moe45673 likes this.
  2. Older Than Dirt

Older Than Dirt Member

Hey RetroBoy-

Keep us posted on how that works out for you.
    I bought the MS50G for simplicity then later the G5N. Haven't tried them both together.
    My fav effect on the MS50 is the "Zoom Clean". It has all the benefits of a dist pedal but remains entirely clean.
    Can't figure out if it's a compressor or "tube like" pre amp, it has properties of both.
    Was hoping it would be added to the fx list of the G5n, but looks like they've stopped updating it.

Would love to hear what kind of fx chains work and what doesn't

thanks

RetroBoy likes this.
  3. ReeceM

ReeceM Member

I figured out what was causing the horrible static when running an external overdrive before the G5n. Having a compressor in the effects chain was causing the issues. Removed it, and problem gone. Ideally it would be run before the overdrives, but if running external drives it would therefore have to be external also.

RetroBoy likes this.
  4. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Member

Well I got the ms50g yesterday and I am really impressed with it.
    It's so well done, how they can fit so many options into what looks like a one button stomp pedal.
    It's easy to work up a patch, easy to change what's in there (both done much like the G3n, G5n).
    Easy to assign the memory order on the fly. Tweak real knobs, re-save manually or autosave.

I connected the usb and fired up Zoom's Guitar Lab, but it didn't recognize the ms50g.
    I tried the awesome ToneLib editor and it found it no problems!
    So it's even easier to set up and name patches, change parameters, view effects list, play around A-B'ing different effects.

It's amazing how well it all works. Although I do get some static noise when plugged into the USB slot.
    I tried different cables with varying success, but can't get rid of it. I just have to put up with it while editing on the computer.

So, I've made 2 simple patches so far - to go in front of my G5n.
    One has:
    ZNR
    Compressor (set fairly low and not boosting volume)
    RC Boost (set with low gain - around 6) to use as a volume booster pedal. Nice and smooth.

The other patch is the same, but I have an EQ at the end to boost my volume, specifically for using my Telecaster, which is much quieter output than my LP type guitars.

I have the RC boost visible and use the stomp button to turn that on/off. All others stay on.

So, that's it - for now. It's enough to give me back my ZNR, which I had to ditch on the G5n on a few patches where I wanted things like Wah or HPS or Phaser, but ran out of room or DSP.
    It also frees up another slot as I always have a compressor on in front.
    It give's me a nice clean boost as a bonus to my OD in the G5n patches.

I'll use a spare slot in the G5n as a volume pedal now, which I'm looking forward to.

There's PLENTY more I can add to the ms50 patches yet.
    Things like Octaver, HPS, Slow attack, Autowah, Vibrato, Mod delay, Organ can all go up front, for those times you want to bust them out.

Older Than Dirt, Moe45673 and Beehive like this.
  5. Older Than Dirt

Older Than Dirt Member

Thanks for the progress report Retroboy;)
    Wondering if you've checked out the Zoom Clean yet.
    Cool use of the MS50G so far.

I used it in a way that I would switch patches rather than individual fx.
    I had a string of 4 patches assigned to the A-B function-
    Makes total sense to have it set to toggle a specific effect w/ it going into the G5n

Good to know that it works w/ the Tonelib too!
    thanks

RetroBoy likes this.
  6. RetroBoy

RetroBoy Member

I haven't checked the Zoom clean yet, but I will do.
    And I will assign patches to cycle through within memory mode, once I've got some more set up and dialled in.
    Not sure if you've updated the firmware, but this came with V3 installed which has a ton more effect sims than when originally released. A lot are what's in the G5n already, and some different ones too.

I took it up to band practice the other night and ran it off batteries no problem,
    But I'll just daisy chain it off the power supply. (I have a 1.6A 9v supply)
    It's great that it's so small, you can just sit it on the G5n expression pedal when you move it.

7. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Member

Any transparent OD should sound good in front of the G5n, as long as you don’t run out of headroom.

My Barber LTD is great with it...

8. Cwire

Cwire Member

Looking for some advice. I have a Zoom G3n and am running it through a Traynor tube amp. I'm looking for a good distortion sound with good sustain. My band mostly plays 80's rock but we also play some metal like Ozzy, Priest etc. I've tried the Gold Drive and it just doesn't sound right, a few folks have mentioned to use the Red Crunch but it's still not a clean distortion sound. Just looking for some tips and tricks...

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

The marshall plexi amp is excellent. Set it to edge of breakup and goose it with the tubescreamer. What works in real life works with the g3n.

You are running into the fx return of your amp, right?

If you absolutely cannot do gain staging, a good alternative is the RAT model ("squeak", i think). Set the gain to taste but also set the dry signal to 12:00 (or whatever is equivalent to bypass volume). High gain but cuts through the mix.

For more metally tones, you can do the same trick with the big muff model..... Or turn the gain higher on the rat

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  10. robdean

robdean Member

The 'Red Crunch + Boost' has a gain switch missing in the single unit Red Crunch, which might help. I usually find that if I audition the OD/Distortions I can find what I need somewhere: the stock settings tend to be ridiculously loud and high-gain so I dial them all back.
    Parametric Eq can really change the character of distorted sounds: try boosts in the range between 1k & 3k to find rhythm 'grit' & solo clarity, Q around 1 as first guess, or cuts in the 300hz - 500hz kind of range for 'scooped' rhythm, narrow boosts around 500hz to 800hz range for 'cocked wah' solo sounds.
    Sustain derives from compression. A compressor before the dirt will add sustain. Use slow compression attack to keep punch to the sound where the settings allow it. Different compressors have different character & it's often a trade-off: the most 'sustainy' circuits and settings are often less natural sounding, such as the Gray Comp which offers crazy sustain but which 'ducks' volume with pick attack before swelling the decay back up.
    Comp -> Dirt -> Parametric is a powerful chain for rock sounds... a great solo sound can often derive from a variation with increased compression and compressor output volume plus extra parametric high-mid boost rather than cranking the dirt stage.
    The Enhance effect can sometimes bring Zoom sounds alive at the end of a chain like that, especially palm-muted rhythm sounds, though the bass & treble controls need to be used subtly in adding thump and grit. If you have dialled in a fizzy top end or muddy lows, Enhance will show it up painfully, but often flattening the earlier pedal EQs is more effective than giving up on Enhance, which for example can bring a more focussed bottom-end thump than many simple dirt pedal tone controls can.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  11. Older Than Dirt

Older Than Dirt Member

Great post robdean!
    Was thinking about posting something similar but you beat me to it
    (But I think you mean "Exciter" when you say "Enhance effect", right?)

To Cwire-
    robdean's post is spot on, I'll add a bit on the the same points-
    Comp>OD>EQ is the way to go for that heavy sustain distortion sound.
    I prefer the Graphic EQ to the parametric though. I especially like the A/B function, kind of a 2 fer 1 imo.
    But I actually chain it differently (OD>comp>EQ) more about that at the end
    As he said- every combination of a comp/OD will give you a different result.
    They can all be made to sound good, so it's kind of subjective what you'll prefer. You'll have to experiment.
    I've been liking the Violet and Zen drives for more sustained sounds- but the Gold and Sweet are pretty good too.
    The ODs w/ a separate boost are really cool, I think it's just the Red Crunch or the TS Boost- but...
    You can get good (similar) results from using a "boost" type OD before a heavy one
    That would be RCBoost, EPStomp or SpotBoost, but you can probably get something good out of many dist combos
    I've gotten good results from most of the comps, but I prefer the cpu intensive ones when I can use them.

As to my preference for the reverse order (OD>comp>EQ)
    If you dial the comp just right, the volume on your guitar can control the amount of distortion.
    That's actually the way I used my hardware pedals, always liked that particular order.
    The Diezel Drive Amp sim seems to do the "guitar volume knob as dist amount" thing, but it's more distortion than I personally want.

The other thinng you need to figure out w/ this pedal is good gain staging.
    You don't want to get into digital clipping.
    Easiest way to do it is to match each effect volume to the volume of "Tuner Bypass"-
    That way you won't get into an ugly digital distortion sound

good luck

robdean, BrickWall and RetroBoy like this.
  12. Pat Wu

Pat Wu Member

Did you try the Dynamic Drive? Try it with the TS Drive in front or behind it if you need more gain. There are a few other high gain stomps but off the top of my head can't remember what they are.

Moe45673 likes this.
  13. Roseweave

Roseweave Member

have there been any more effects added recently? Where can I see the full list of downloadable effects? Not quite ready to scrap my G3 until it has some synth effects. Also, does the GCE-3 have a looper? It's form factor is better for me but I'd like to be able to attach footswitches when necessary, or even just by hand/very careful foot movements use it

14. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

They've ended the support now... Maybe randomly down the line they'll do one last surprise update but for now they're no longer receiving updates.

Moe45673 likes this.
  15. mataks

mataks Member

is there an effect in g5n that can have infinite sustain?

16. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

There is a hold reverb and a looper, maybe it would be useful for you.

17. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

For me the GCE-3 is just a desktop interface, you could use any effect of G3n to G5n to B3n. But you can't control with footswitches.

18. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Anyone have any tips on getting a good swell sound on the G3N?

19. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I think the G5n sounds swell out of the box!

godoy.rafa likes this.
  20. .50 Caliber Bob

.50 Caliber Bob Member

Hi all,

I've just bought a G5n second hand, a large part of what made me purchase is due to reading all 113 pages of this thread! The previous owner said he did a factory reset on it to clear all of his presets for me. Does anyone know how to check which version of Firmware the unit has? I don't want to try to upgrade it if is it already the latest version (I'm worried about bricking it). Any help would be really appreciated, thanks!