Zoom G3n/G5N platform, tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ballynally, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

It is weird. I think most modellers display it like that. Why actual effects go from right to left is pretty obvious (although lefty guitarslingers get screwed :/ )

2. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

No, it's not. In the older G3 you could invert the display, in the N series you don't.

valvestate likes this.
  3. mac jones

mac jones Member

Thinking about it, actual pedal boards HAVE to have it go right to left as you plugin from the right. So the MfX plug in from the right, but from there can go either way.

And left to right is likely a tradition that BOSS (or someone) probably started, bless them.

I remember I was really confused about this with the G1on. I couldn't figure out which way it was going because it sounded so God awful I thought it was going backwards. G1on. (not that the G1on is bad sounding.)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    valvestate likes this.
  4. DG_Griffin

DG_Griffin Member

I'm looking to move on from the pedal rat race and get an "all in one" solution. I typically play in the worship setting.

I have been gassing for the HX Stomp, maybe keeping a few pedals around for flavor. I am just realizing more and more that regardless of if I use $200 Wampler pedals, or $30 Donner pedals, I still just sound like me. I have an MS50G that I use for Delay & Reverb that I really dig. I'm just wondering if the cost of the HX Stomp vs. the G3Xn or G5n is worth it. I have actually used my G1xon live a few times with pretty good success.

What might I get out of the extra $300-$400 for the HX Stomp that I don't get from the Zoom? That extra coin could easily be put towards another guitar! :JAM

5. mojah

mojah Member

I use a G3NX just for FX most of the time now. If you take the time to make sure your levels are matched it works great. My needs are simple Wha Dirt (the violet is my fav, it's really versatile) Choruses Delays Phaser and trem. I do have FRFR patches using the amp sims but it's easier and more tone satisfying for me to lug a small tube amp, either a combo or head and 2X12. I also own a g1on and the g3nx just sounds way richer, more low end and clear top. I never liked Line6 hd fx's except the tube screamer. ymmv

6. valvestate

valvestate Member

Yeah I know right. I also have a MS70 and MS50G and the order of effects appears to be normal. :dunno:confused:

Curious if this also the case with more expensive multiFX units like Helix?

7. godoy.rafa

godoy.rafa Member

Bought a Donner DI pedal, to use its analog Cab simulation direct to PA. Someone here tried this and said it was good!

8. ferte to prioni

ferte to prioni Member

digital cab sims are better than analog due to complexity,it is one of the things where digital wins.

9. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

I almost got an Aroma DI pedal, which is the same **** for all these chinese brands, how about in terms of fidelity in FOH compared to Zoom or other cabs simulations?

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I own a monoprice DI, which looks identical to these. The cab sim is usable, especially if you're not monitoring yourself from that signal. Unfortunately, the 1/4" output jack also has the cab sim applied to it as well.

The Zoom's Bogner cab is an excellent IR and the one i use. Much better than the Monoprice. The monoprice is, OTOH, much better than the cab sim built into my Boss ME-80

11. m0rsti

m0rsti Member

Are the Zoom g5n/g3*n cabs really IR?

12. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Yes

mojah likes this.
  13. The Toneaholics

The Toneaholics Member

For me the Bogner is the better in terms of clarity, most of my clean sounds and some drives too have this cab, otherwise I use the first Marshall 4x12.