Zoom G3n/G5N platform, tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ballynally, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Codger12

Codger12 Member

Speaking of my patches, I woke up today and started playing . For some reason they all sounded like **** to me. Then i noticed the tone knob on the g5n was at 10:00 ( I usually keep it at noon). Really messed with my head. It did inspire me to make a couple new presets though.

2. Johnny88

Johnny88 Member

Good to know. I also pretty much always keep tone knob at 12 as well. Lower than that things start to sound muddy. Higher than that it's either a bit thin or doesn't make enough of a difference for me to change from 12 noon.

Codger12 likes this.
  3. Davey 1 Kenobe

Davey 1 Kenobe Member

Hi there guys. Hoping this thread isn't totally dead. Just got a g3n to use for modulation/delay/verb. Questions : why am I only hearing mono out from the headphone output? I've tried 3 different sets of phones, all studio quality. I'm only getting sound in the left ear. I thought it was stereo phone out?
    Other thing, does anyone have problems with tone suck? I plugged it into the fx loop on my Marshall yesterday, but I found it really altered my tone in a not good way. I had tried it on my pedalboard, but it didn't play nicely going into the front of the amp and introduced a lot of noise and tone alteration, as it has to be left on in order for the signal to pass through. I'm thinking I might have to get a patch loop so I can take it out of my sound chain when not in use?! Bit disappointed by the tone suck/alteration, but maybe I'm missing something?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

4. alissonvilela

alissonvilela Member

Have you checked the quality of all your cables, individually? When someone speaks of tone suck, that's the first thing that comes to my mind. Maybe the extra cable used for the g3n is to blame.

Davey 1 Kenobe likes this.
  5. Johnny88

Johnny88 Member

Yes, I also am experiencing tone suck when plugging into the FX return on my amp. My problem could be my cables as alissonvilela said. However, I am experiencing excellent results going through the front end of my Fender Princeton chorus. But the amp does make a difference. Just for kicks, I plugged it into my 1x8 15 watt Crate and it didn't sound very good (although it was the best that amp has ever sounded by far).

6. Johnny88

Johnny88 Member

Could you please elaborate further on indicators of cable quality? I typically use fender cables.

7. Beehive

Beehive Member

The headphone issue might be a bad unit. Mine is always in stereo.

I haven't used my G5n in the effects loop of my amp yet, so I don't know how it reacts to the preamp of an amp vs. just bypassing the preamp. Is your effects loop foot-switchable? That might be the easiest solution. You might be clipping the input with your preamp send... maybe try a eq with the level set lower at the beginning of the chain on your G3n?

As far as going into the front of the amp, make sure your levels are good. There is a lot of gainstaging in this box, and if your patch level is set too high it will cause terrible noise.

Davey 1 Kenobe and Johnny88 like this.
  8. TimCaesar

TimCaesar Member

I use the Tube Booster as a mid range control. If I need a bit more grit, I typically dial it in there. I normally keep mine around 8 O'Clock unless I need some extra umph.

Johnny88 likes this.
  9. TimCaesar

TimCaesar Member

The sweep on that tone knob is very drastic! I use mine to fine tune between different guitars, and only a small tweak does a lot!

I keep mine at 11 O'Clock on the whole.

Johnny88 likes this.
  10. Codger12

Codger12 Member

My kid was playing with the wah pedal as I was playing. He must have inadvertently turned the knob. You're right, a little turn of that knob goes a long way.

11. nzdutchie237

nzdutchie237 Member

Davey T, I use two mono's out of my G3nx to a 3/8 stereo jack to headphones to get a stereo sound. The manual shows a picture of a stereo jack going into the left output but they must be mono outputs.

12. nzdutchie237

nzdutchie237 Member

Maybe just for the B3n December's offering...
    NEW AMPS + CABINETS
    EBH360 - This models the sound of the EBS HD360 bass amplifier.
    EB4x10TW - This models an EBS ProLine 410 cabinet with four 10" speakers and a tweeter.
    NEW STOMPBOXES EnvFilter – This models the MXR envelope filter.
    UPDATE EFFECTS CloneCho – Compatible with the B3n. LoopRoll – Compatible with the B3n.
    Dual DLY - Compatible with the B3n.

jimfist likes this.
  13. mojah

mojah Member

My G3nx plays stereo with just the left jack through headphones.

Davey 1 Kenobe and Johnny88 like this.
  14. Beehive

Beehive Member

Ohhhh, I didn't know the G3n didn't have a dedicated headphone out. My bad.

15. RandyFackler

RandyFackler Member

Hello All,

I am thinking about getting a G3n with some holiday cash I received yesterday, but I am coming from a G2 which I currently use and need to know if the G3n can do what I am used to doing (and would still like to be able to do.)

First off, I do not care at all about built in presets–never used them and never will. I like to create my own custom patches and that is all I use. With the G2, I love how I can have a bunch of my own custom patches and I can switch between them instantly with the stomp of one button. I came up with a system so that my even numbered patches were generally my clean sounds, and odd numbers were my overdriven sounds, so things would look like this:

A0 - basic clean tone
    A1 - slightly overdriven/crunch tone
    A2 - basic clean tone
    A3 - heavy overdrive
    A4 - clean tone with tremolo
    A5 - slightly overdriven/crunch tone
    A6 - clean tone with long delay
    A7 - heavy overdrive

So I would look at everything as a bunch of matched pairs (A0 and A1 go together, A2 and A3 go together etc.) So I could strum some rhythm stuff on A0, then when it came time to do some bluesy lead stuff, I would just hit the right-side button with my foot and then instantly switch to A1, on the exact beat that I want. Or let's say I'm playing "Say It Ain't So" by Weezer - I strum the verse with A2 and then when that heavy distortion bar chord part comes in, once again I stomp the right button to engage the overdrive, then stomp the left button to switch back to the verse.

So...can I still do that with the G3n?

16. ichsan

ichsan Member

Definitely, it's gonna be much better since you'll have three footswitches to select between 3 patches plus two foot paddles to scroll to another 3 patches.

17. Davey 1 Kenobe

Davey 1 Kenobe Member

Hi there, and thanks for your answers.
    First : cables are all hand soldered Somer cable tri xxl (German high quality cable) with gold tip high quality mono jacks and they are exceptionally good (much better than store bought fender and planet x cables I've had that cost me twice the price).
    Second : the fx loop on my Marshall DSL 401 is a parallel loop and not foot switchable (that would save me a lot of hassle). And I've checked gain/level settings and am only using stompbox effects (no cab/amp sims from the zoom when in front of the amp or in the fx loop).

Still wondering about my headphone problem.

Merry Xmas to all.

Dave

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  18. Davey 1 Kenobe

Davey 1 Kenobe Member

Johnny 88 : for questions on cable quality and the like, this site is a bit of an eye opener. I bought quality cable by the meter and good quality jacks and the result is quite astounding. My tone is MANY times better.
    http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/introduction.html

19. TimCaesar

TimCaesar Member

I use my G5n in preset mode when I play gigs.

I use 4 sets of 4. Each one has a crunch rhythm on #3 and lead boosts in various flavors on #4. Also my various cleans live in the #1 slot and the all the wacky stuff lives on the #2. Makes it much easier to navigate. If I get stuck, I can always hit #3 and its a sound I can use for almost anything.

ichsan, Johnny88 and Beehive like this.
  20. Johnny88

Johnny88 Member

Not to beat a dead horse here, but I'm wondering why the G5n doesn't get more respect. I'm vacationing down in the Nashville, Tennessee area. I was at a guitar center and they had the Headrush, Helix, and the PodHD 500, but no zoom G5n or G3n. I talked to one of the reps and I briefly mentioned my G5n and put in a good word for it as a budget mfx alternative to the helix and the headrush. He didn't say anything, but I could tell he wasn't buying it or maybe had a negative experience with zoom or didn't have a favorable opinion on it or the G5n.

I didn't push the issue, but it kinda bugs me that people think it's necessary to drop $1k+ on a unit just to have some decent effects (And, admittedly, a bunch of sexy bells and whistles).

So far I've been pretty happy with my G5n. The effects are really nice and I can get some really lush tones. The distortion and drives seem to be a but trickier as far as dialing in a sound, but even so, I doubt it's worth the extra $750 to $1,250. That being said, I deliberately chose not to try out the Headrush or the Helix when I was there. I'm happy with my G5n and if I am missing something, I don't have the means to upgrade even if I felt it was THAT much better, so u can call me a chicken if you like, but there's something to be said for being happy with the gear you have.

Just not sure why some people won't give the G5n the time of day. Maybe if you are someone who dropped $1-1.5k on a Headrush or helix you may not want to try out something way cheaper for the opposite fear that the G5n might be close to as good as far as overall sound and you don't want to feel like you wasted a ton of money? I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Anyway, as I have been happy with the sounds of the G5n so far (and have seen professionals and amateurs alike get awesome sounds out of this unit on YouTube) I'm convinced that I can get just about any tone I want out of this unit. And good grief, if I felt like I needed a few "real pedals," I could use the 750-1,250 I saved to buy a select few pedals AND have the G5n for the added flexibility.