Zoom G3n/G5N platform, tips and tricks

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by ballynally, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Mark McPheeters

Mark McPheeters Member

I did something similar.

I recently acquired a Deluxe Thinline Tele and the bridge pickup is sorely lacking in low end. I use an MS50G in a looper for a variety of FX, then I have an MS70CDR at the end of my board for general ambience. I just wrote an extra patch on the MS70 for that guitar/pickup with a boost around 100HZ on the parametric EQ. Worked like a charm.....Still gonna swap out the pickups though....

Johnny88 likes this.
  2. mojah

mojah Member

You can have banks of patches for compensation. That's what I do. I'm playing 3 different guitars and now a bass too. I set up banks of 3 patches for each guitar. One guitar gets 2 banks. I use it more. Most have the same amp and fx with different gains and eq settings.

johnhager25 and Johnny88 like this.
  3. Codger12

Codger12 Member

I posted some G5N patches over @ guitar patches.com. Some may not be using the exact model it theoretically should to get the sound. I use whatever amp model gets me the closest. Hope you enjoy and I'll probably post some more later. One is posted under my real name (Randy.)

Graeme and Johnny88 like this.
  4. Codger12

Codger12 Member

Oh, there was a small update to a few effects in guitar lab. They were updated to versions 1.10.

Johnny88 and johnhager25 like this.
  5. ballynally

ballynally Member

if you're using an MS pedal you can dial in all the parameters including eq without having to put it in a patch like you would with the G3/5n coupling it up to an effect, freeing up a slot on the effects unit.
    You can do that with other pedals of course but the MS is great as you have 50 patches available and 24 (A-Z) designations, all changeable according to need.To give you an insight: yesterday i did a gig w my nylon string guitar which uses patch 12-16 (pure-chorus-slap-hall), designated A-B-C-D, eq-ed for my mobile rig, and left the G3n at home.Tonight i take my ES295 to do a gig with a western swing trio, amplified to a guitar amp (Traynor DH15) through the MS50g to the G3n.For that amp and specific speaker i use only one slot on the MS50g so i will remove the ABCD from yesterday and use slot 30 as A. As i have multiple instruments and amps/cabs, acoustic and electric, the MS50g is simply great for general setup. I feel that without it it's a waste of space on the G3n but if i had the bigger G5n that might be different.
    I would still probably take my MS50g to the gig.plus, you can use it on its own as a multi effects pedal.
    It's just so versatile...

Johnny88 and Moe45673 like this.
  6. TimCaesar

TimCaesar Member

This is exactly what I do. My MusicMan guitars and Brian May have separate banks. Same effects, same presets but with different gain structure. There are plenty of slots!

mojah likes this.
  7. TimCaesar

TimCaesar Member

I played a New Years Eve show last night with my G5n direct into the PA. I used my powered monitor so I could hear it on stage. The place was packed out and everyone had a great time!

You all will be relieved to learn that not a single person commented on the fact I had not loaded custom IR's as part of my signal chain. Or the fact I had to use a $20 DI box to connect my G5n into the PA. Or the fact I could not assign individual parameters to the expression pedal. Or that the amp modelling was not as accurate as a Fractual. ;o)

8. SocProf

SocProf Member

So I guess the lesson is: feel free to use the G5n when the audience is too drunk to tell the difference. :D

Seriously, everyone knows that guitarists agonize over tone way more than normal people.

Jimmyno and Beehive like this.
  9. NJEric

NJEric Member

Are you having the problem with stereo fx's?

10. Johnny88

Johnny88 Member

Here's a patch I did for the intro to "Don't Dream it's Over" (Sixpence None the Richer style). I feel dumb but I'm having trouble with (A) getting the pics uploaded here and (B) I uploaded the patch to guitarpatches.com but I can't find it anywhere (does it take a bit for it to show up on the site??

Until then here are the settings typed in by hand:

AMP: MS45os
    Bass: 40
    Mid: 71
    Treble: 82
    PRSNC: 55
    Input1: 12
    Input2: 12

CAB: MS 4x12AL
    Mic: ON (did this on headphones)
    Mic position: 50
    HI: 56
    LO: 45

MOD DELAY
    TIME: 361
    F.B: 10
    MIX: 40
    TAIL: ON

HD HALL REVERB:
    PreD: 10
    Decay: 45
    Mix: 62
    Tail: Off

Beehive likes this.
  11. Codger12

Codger12 Member

It should show up right away

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  12. Codger12

Codger12 Member

Imagine if more people posted presets on that site... I have a dream.

13. Johnny88

Johnny88 Member

I still don't see my patch on guitarpatches for some reason. I uploaded it twice to the G5n section. Codger, I was only able to get one of your patches to load (FenderCln). Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I have G5n and I know you did a lot of them on G3n so maybe that's it?

14. Codger12

Codger12 Member

Nope, uploaded them with my g5n to the g5n section. I also did not upload a fender clean to the g5n so you must be looking at the g3n section. Maybe thats why you cant upload as well.

15. Codger12

Codger12 Member

Let us know if you get it figured out.

16. Johnny88

Johnny88 Member

FINALLY figured it out. My great "error" was that I had spaces and apostrophes in my titles :rolleyes: Oh well, hopefully someone can make use of it. May need a bit more feedback on the mod delay. I did this one with headphones on since I am on vacation and don't have an amp with. Here's the link:

http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=G5n&ID=10467

17. Johnny88

Johnny88 Member

Yep, guess I was in the G3n section after all. I forgot that you can't load G3n patches onto the G5n (kinda dumb if you ask me, since the G5n obviously will have the horsepower to run anything the G3n can run. I was able to download a couple of your patches and load them onto the device. I will try them tonight.

Codger12 likes this.
  18. Johnny88

Johnny88 Member

Just dialed in a patch for the 1968 song, "Crimson Clover." I will try to upload it in the morning if it still sounds right to me then (after listening to a loop for 45 minutes, my ears probably needed a refresh lol) am liking the Hiwatt 100 and corresponding cabinet.

I feel like I'm getting a better command of the unit. It's becoming easier/faster to dial in a sound. Playing the dry sound into the Looper helps a LOT! I then add an amp model and get the amp settings to my liking and then I add in the cabinet with usually minor adjustments to the low and high. Only after I have my basic stripped down sound do I start adding in effects and dialing each effect in as well as I can before moving onto the next effect and so on. Reverb is the cherry on top that really spruces up the sound greatly.

Took me probably an hour to dial this one in. Not very fast, but faster than my first attempts and I'm only going to get faster with more experience.

I enjoy the simplicity of fewer parameters to tweak. I'm getting the sounds I want without getting completely buried in swapping out virtual tubes, endlessly loading/tweaking cabinet IRs, and having so many parameters to tweak that I'm uncertain as to what each adjustment does and which ones are the most important.

Really liking the G5n for dialing in lush cleans. I feel like this is a strength of the unit. The delays on some of these cleaner sounds are fantastic!

Nevets, jimfist, RetroBoy and 2 others like this.
  19. Beehive

Beehive Member

I had an issue with the looper playing back at a lower volume than my original. It was messing with how the amp sims reacted. Did you have the same issue? Maybe I bumped the level setting or something.

20. jimfist

jimfist Member

Yes. +1

steve_rolfeca and TimCaesar like this.