Zoom G3N vs. DigiTech RP 360

Pablomago

I'm looking for a simple modeling pedal to plug into my monitor speakers for late night and home practice. These two pedals have caught my attention. Pros? Cons? Any others I should look at in that price range?

I think both of these would work fantastic for you. I've gotten good sounds out of both Zoom and Digitech gear.

I think for the price,either of these would be your best bet. They've got good amp modeling and even an expression pedal so you can get your wah pedal or whammy pedal going if that's your bag.

MoonshineMan

I have the G3Xn (with the expression pedal) for bringing out on the ships with me and it’s Ok, I guess.
The amp models aren’t great, the effects are “fine” for what they are.
My biggest gripe with it is the looper. In mono, it’s a 40 second looper, with a 1-second pause between loops. I don’t know how these things even shipped with that. Also, you can’t make a loop with one patch and switch to another to jam over it. Kinda lame.
So, as long as you don’t need a looper (there’s no place to plug one in, externally), the G3X is “fine”, at best.
I’m a tube amp guy, though, so take it all with a grain of salt. I just got this because I’m on container ships for 4-5mo and I wanted to bring something with me.

MoonshineMan

I think both of these would work fantastic for you. I've gotten good sounds out of both Zoom and Digitech gear.

I think for the price,either of these would be your best bet. They've got good amp modeling and even an expression pedal so you can get your wah pedal or whammy pedal going if that's your bag.
The expression pedal is pretty good. It’s not “smooth as buddah”, but it works fine. The “chrome wah” (Vox) and “Black wah” (crybaby) are both fun to use, and have adjustable parameters. The pedal can also be used with rotary to toggle between fast and slow, and with the vibe, as well as with some of the delay patches (but I never use them). It’s a decent volume pedal, which is fun with my lap steel. I think it does a few other things as well, but I pretty much only use these. It has a toe switch, but you have to press down pretty hard to get it, but you can also use the regular foot switch, if you want.
I would totally get the one with the expression pedal. It’s worth the little bit of extra size and cost.

MoonshineMan

If you have a Apple product, garageband works great
It does! I have the iRig and sometimes plug either straight into the iPad or use the G3 into the GB amps and reverbs. It has WAY better drums and looping, you can basically build a jam track. I spent more time than I care to admit having a blast with the bass and organ, using the iPad’s touch screen.
If you do that, you can clear up three blocks on the zoom, and use all 6 for effects and really have a good time.
I just get really lazy and just use the Zoom.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
There is the new Zoom G1 four pedal, I’m debating buying one to replace my G3.

The only thing is the Digitech stuff is sort of kaput as a company. I did have an RP360 a few years ago, but I liked my Zoom G3 more than the digitech.

MoonshineMan

I’ll add (since I’m already doing like half of the posting in this thread;)) that the pedal dirt is better than the “amp” dirt. The fuzz cleans up pretty well with my Strat, and the compressors are decent. In fact, running a comp really makes it easier to dial in. I kinda wish they just had a setting for “compression on or off” in the menu, so you wouldn’t have to waste a block. But they have about 5 compressors to choose from, and I use maybe 3-4 of them without problems.
The delays are all pretty good, as are the reverbs, but I’m not a true aficionado of either, so take that for what it’s worth.
When I get home, just for fun, I’ll have to actually plug this thing into an amp, and see what I can do with 6 free blocks.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
for my set-up i have my Zoom G3 going into a Keyboard 60 amp (15" speaker, I just prefer the sound of it more than most guitar amps), I do like the sound of most of the amps in my G3, but I also have some post processing options if I need them, right now I have after the G3: EH Russian Muff, SA Multi-wave Distortion, DOD Gonkulator...and I rotate in and out various Fuzz and Distortions options that I have...sometimes I think the digital options can be lacking at times, but mostly I like them, but I like to have options for adding more....for me putting it after it sort of adds some Hair-i-ness to the distortion sound that I want....if that makes any sense...

Pablomago

I bought the DigiTech. I haven't dug too deep, but it's working great for what I need. The drum patterns aren't bad either. It's a tool for me to practice with things on my computer and general learning. The interface software is really good. I just need to find where I put the right USB cable.

There's an optional footswitch for it but it's like $40 or so. I found a schematic and videos on YouTube and I can make one for less then $20. A few switches, diodes and a jack and a case. Simple.

Trending Topics