Zoom G3x problem - constant reverb

thelespaulman

Hey Guys,

I decided to purchase the Zoom G3 multieffect unit (the G3x version with expression pedal) after reading all the positive reviews. I'm an old-school tube amp guy, I've been using vintage Marshalls and Les Pauls all my life and this Zoom is my first multieffect pedal. After unpacking the thing I plugged it right away in front of my practice amp and started to discover the sounds. I immediately noticed that there is a constant reverb effect on all of the presets, even when each of them are being disengaged. I can't seem to turn off this reverb, it's constantly running in the background of every effect and amp sim.
The tone coloration is also noticable with this unit. The reviews said that the Zoom G3 - while not True Bypass - doesn't really alter the tone of the amp. This is definitely not the case with mine. Even when all of the presets are turned off, the tone of my amp is not the same, it seems kind of weak and muddy besides the mentioned reverb effect.

Another problem I noticed is that in the looper mode, when I'm jamming to the recorded loop and I strum a note heavily, there is some nasty clipping (slightly audible).

The Zoom G3 is plugged in front of my combo, in passive mode, I haven't messed with any of the adjustments. Have any of you guys encountered with a similar problems? Any ideas what could be the culprit? Is it possible that I received a faulty pedal?

Last edited:

taylordguitar

Hey Guys,

I decided to purchase the Zoom G3 multieffect unit (the G3x version with expression pedal) after reading all the positive reviews. I'm an old-school tube amp guy, I've been using vintage Marshalls and Les Pauls all my life and this Zoom is my first multieffect pedal. After unpacking the thing I plugged it right away in front of my practice amp and started to discover the sounds. I immediately noticed that there is a constant reverb effect on all of the presets, even when each of them are being disengaged. I can't seem to turn off this reverb, it's constantly running in the background of every effect and amp sim.
The tone coloration is also noticable with this unit. The reviews said that the Zoom G3 - while not True Bypass - doesn't really alter the tone of the amp. This is definitely not the case with mine. Even when all of the presets are turned off, the tone of my amp is not the same, it seems kind of weak and muddy besides the mentioned reverb effect.

Another problem I noticed is that in the looper mode, when I'm jamming to the recorded loop and I strum a note heavily, there is some nasty clipping (slightly audible).

The Zoom G3 is plugged in front of my combo, in passive mode, I haven't messed with any of the adjustments. Have any of you guys encountered with a similar problems? Any ideas what could be the culprit? Is it possible that I received a faulty pedal?
Dude same I got mine today... Same problem with the constant reverb. Every patch every effect. No idea. I emailed zoom support now :/

taylordguitar

Hey Guys,

Email zoom with the same problem

sonic1974

You can have 6 effects running at a time, but only 3 are displayed. So 3 are "off screen" .

Is it possible that you have a reverb effect which isn't displayed?

To see the "off screen" effects, hold down the center and left switches at the same time for a couple of seconds.

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
I would say RTFM but it's Christmas. (see scrolling replies above)

jrockbridge

You can have 6 effects running at a time, but only 3 are displayed. So 3 are "off screen" .

Is it possible that you have a reverb effect which isn't displayed?

To see the "off screen" effects, hold down the center and left switches at the same time for a couple of seconds.

This would have been my response as well. I don't own a G3 nor a G3X but I do own a few Zoom MultiStomp pedals (MS50G, MS100BT, MS70CDR).

Perhaps, you should start by building a patch from scratch....

thelespaulman

Guys! The problem is solved! One of the effect slots was invisibly engaged (HD Reverb) just like most of you suggested. This activated Reverb was also the cause of the other mentioned problems: the perceived muddiness and the tone coloration. The pedal is perfect now and I'm really impressed by it!

The interesting thing is that I have not 6 but 12 effect slots. This must be the latest update?

JCW308

Silver Supporting Member
Guys! The problem is solved! One of the effect slots was invisibly engaged (HD Reverb) just like most of you suggested. This activated Reverb was also the cause of the other mentioned problems: the perceived muddiness and the tone coloration. The pedal is perfect now and I'm really impressed by it!

The interesting thing is that I have not 6 but 12 effect slots. This must be the latest update?

Say what? 12?

thelespaulman

Sorry only 6 effect slots on mine too. I'm a noob with these multieffect stuff, still a lot to learn. Thx for the great help!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom