ZOOM G5 in a live situation........

ToneZappa

Recently used a Zoom G5 for some gigs straight into the power amp of a Boogie MK111 and was quiet surprised with the results. I programed a couple of sounds within one patch just on headphones. But unfortunately the rehearsal was miles away (another country infact) and I didn't use any of my gear until the gigs.

Here is a very rough clip from the first gig.... I forgot to switch the zoom tube on and it was the first time Id used the control pedal which feels very different to my normal volume pedal.

MetalGuitard

I ran my G5 the same way all of last year. Aside from a few switching mishaps I always had great sound/experiences with mine as well.

ToneZappa

The G5 amp on this clip was the "FD Vibro" modeled on a "63 Fender Vibroverb"

Here are the settings.
Gain 40
Tube 84
Level 50
Treb 61
Mid 51
Bass 70
Pres 17
Cab FD Vibro 2x10

The guitar vol was at 7 ish. (Fender Jag type put together out of ebay bits.... every single bit)

Bub.

ToneZappa

I'm pretty sure you enjoyed the G5 and lotta more in Italy ..(my beloved country)

;)

Mo
Yeah the G5 was very dynamic and sounded great I just used one patch with two different amps in it, delay and reverb and a reverse delay for one track. It was a very basic setup I didnt really have anything to do just doodle around in the background. I always like playing Italy, the food and the people are great.

Bub. :aok

ToneZappa

Check out the Ashbass mods, makes the G3\G5 a lot better for live use.
Thanks for the tip. I had seen his site and all the mods he does, seems like a very clever guy. But I just got the Zoom G5 to play at home really. It was really cheap and I thought with these gigs I only needed one sound really so I gave it a go and really thought it did a good job. I have since got a really good "Larry Carlton" sound out of it. But I do hate the very limited realtime control and lack of an FXs loop..... but what the heck for that price its cool.

Bub.