Zoom G7.1ut vs. TCE G-System

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnrea_77, Mar 9, 2006.

1. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

Impressive to say the least. I'll even go a step further. I've used two different Boss GT units (GT-5 and GT-6) and my main effects unit is a TC Electronics G-System. Let my say a few things about the G-Sys vs. the G7.1ut. Keep in mind I already had the G-system and also considered the Korg 3000G before picking up the Zoom.

First - The G-System:
    • The G-System lets you use your own distortion pedals in the pre-preamp loops. That could be considered a plus or a minus.
    • It can be tricky using the four-cable method and you have to work on getting the levels right, same way it was with the Boss GT's. Basically you have to program the loop 5/insert loop to use an amps effects loop
    • The G-System wah is one of the better ones, but nothing replaces the real deal on any effects unit I've tried. Some come closer than others.
    • The G-System is well built and EXPENSIVE.
    • The version 1.05 fixes many issues from the early production units. One issue was a delay in the programmable relays. The new firmware update brings that down to 50 ms instead of 300ms. TC Supports seems to be on par with a high-end manufacturer.
    OK - Then there is the G7.1ut.
    • For $300 I don't think anything else can touch it. That goes for the quality of the sound and construction. I really like the footswitch design, solid feel! If I had to change anything I would've made the LCD larger/clearer. I would've paid $100 more to have a color LCD.
    • VERY transparent sound. I've heard my share of "tonesuckers" and this isn't one of them. Yeah, you are going through A/D and D/A, but it is top notch quality.
    • There is negligible delay in changing patches. No dropouts and smooth transitions.
    • Versatile - Put it in front of an amp and just use the effects, it sounds great. Use the preamp and then run it into an effects return on a tube amp or use a Tech 21 Power Engine and it sounds great as well. Use the function controls to change the application.
    • Here's a biggie - I *really* like what Zoom provided in the overdrive/distortion department. It doesn't have that buzzy/digital crap that plague 90% of the multieffects on the market. It’s probably the tube energizer that makes this happen.
    Both units have great tuners built in. No issues at all with either and if I had to pick I'd say the G-System is easier to read on stage.

Both units have quality digital effects. I have better luck programming the Zoom's expression pedal to do just about anything I want. On the G-System's side I like the "auto-on" wah that activates when you use the pedal and you can program when to stop the effect with a time parameter.

If you are using the G-System and need overdrive/distortion not available by switching amp channels then you probably need a couple to put in the loops. I would say one tube screamer/Boss OD or Bluesdriver type and something like a Keeley modded Boss MT-2 for the over the top stuff. That would cover a lot of ground.

Summary - If I had the Zoom G7.1ut first I honestly think I would not have purchased the G-system. When you throw everything into a G-system (expression pedal, stomps for the loops, a carrying case to protect the gear, you can easily spend $2K ! Although the G-system sounds incredible and is loaded with features, I’d say the $300 for the Zoom G7.1ut and a $40 padded carry bag is a better option.

2. Electric I

Electric I Member

Have a G7 & agree on all counts. I use it into the clean channel of a tube combo & it does the trick.

I'm in the process of building a pedalboard for future use, but right now the Zoom is just so easy to work with.

And with the best processing numbers in it's class, the sounds/features make it the best bang-for-buck in a multi floor unit.

3. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

That's what I've been trying to tell people here all along about the G2 which is way smaller has less amp sims and effects but fits in my gig bag. By the way , what amp sims do get on the G7? I plug straight into the PA and get very usable Boogie and vintage Fender tones. Delays and verbs sound good (not as good as Lexicon or TC) but very usable. It just hard for most people her to believe you can get happening tones for $99. The factory presets suck so it is hard to judge the quality of this unit if you are just demoing it quick at the store. You have to start from scratch and make your own presets, that is the key with these units IMHO.

Steve

4. carltonh

carltonh Member

So is there a website with details on this pedal yet? What about the G9.2? What all computer compatibility does it have, and assuming it comes with software, how well does it work and what all functions can be done with a computer?

5. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Will the G.whatever output only 100% wet signal, for use in a wet/dry rig?

6. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

Although there are full parameters for mix, I haven't found a way to remove the dry signal entirely. I don't have a dry/wet rig. I know on my delay patches it seems like I have to push the wet mix higher than other pedals i'm used to.

I've been concentrating on the G-System. I Picked up a Keeley mod MT-2 through TGP (Thanx Steve). I'm getting that incorporated into my working patches for this week's gigs.

FWIW - I have a Thursday gig at a High School dance. My 13/15 kids are freaking because in my band we are all in our 30-40's. Gotta play with no breski or cussing. What a change from our routine!

7. fakeox

fakeox Member

Picked up a Zoom g2.u1 yesterday. Presets are mostly pretty over the top.. I'm gonna dig in tonite.

8. JohnnyM

JohnnyM Member

does the g7 have tap tempo for delay and a
    mod delay?