Zoom H2 WAV or MP3?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by lscott, Feb 25, 2008.

1. lscott

lscott Member

I bought this mainly to send sound clips of pickups,amps etc.What are the advantages,disadvantages and differences between WAV and MP3?One more thing,can I download pre recorded clips from the recorder to my computer or do I have to use the recorder to record directly to the computer.Oh,and yes,I am an idiot.

2. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

WAV is an uncompressed format. MP3 is compressed. WAV will be a larger file but the sound fidelity will typically be better. MP3 files will be smaller and generally less high fidelity.

I don't know anything about the Zoom H2 itself but I would imagine that if it is a portable recorder there is likely some mechanism for getting the files from the recorder to the computer.

3. jawjatek

jawjatek Member

I have an H2 and always record in .wav for best sound. You can always use Audacity + Lame to convert the .wav to MP3s later, and both are free.

The H2 comes with a USB cable for transferring files to and from your PC, but it is a bit slow for large files. I find it is much faster to simply remove the SD card and use a card reader. HTH YMMV

PS: RTFM! http://www.samsontech.com/products/relatedDocs/H2_user_manual.pdf

4. SGNick

SGNick Member

Having tried both, I find the results are much better when recording to wav and then converting to mp3 than recording direct to mp3.

if you're recording a band fo a few hours, mp3 is the only way to squeeze em all on though.

5. isfahani

isfahani Member

Unless you buy a larger card to put in. Shell out for a 2GB card, you get over 3hrs at 44.1/16 which is decent quality.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Recording in mp3 on the H2 seems to cut off the high end over 16k, so as SGNick said
    As an experiment, I recorded mp3 @ 320k on the H2, and compared that to recording .wav at 44.1/16 and transcoding it on my PC (using CDex) to mp3 @ 192k. Even though the mp3 setting was on the marginal side @ 192 it still sounded better than the 320k on the H2.