Zoom MS-70CDR for All verbs & Bypass issue question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phats, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Phats

Phats Senior Member

I was thinking of getting a Space but realized, as much as I love reverb, I don't need all the presets and stuff it does. I've also read that the MS70 has a Blackhole type setting, which might get my close enough without having to buy a Space.

First question: Is the MS70 good for Plate, Spring, Hall, other stuff or does it excel at one type of reverb? Does it do lots of things really well, or just do lots of things at an average level?

Second question: I've read some people comment about how the bypass isn't that good on the MS70, that there is bleed through of effect even when bypassed.

I wanted to know if owners have experienced this? If it is a design flaw or maybe some of the posters that had negative experiences had a bad pedal/messed up software.

Thanks.

2. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I remember that topic.

I think that three people said they had issues, and other said they had none.

Put me int he none column. I regularly use the MS70CDR, G3, B3, B1xon and B1xon and don't any bleeding. All my effects are going straight into the amp, not the effect loop. The OP of that topic found the issue went away when he moved his into the amps effect loop.

Since i never experienced such a problem, it's hard for me to figure out what those three people were doing, or what the cause of the noise was. They didn't even comment on whether they had reverb and delay tails enabled.

I didn't find a lot of topics on this subject in a Google search, really only two topics on TGP that mention the idea, both started by the same person. I suspect it's not something people have been experiencing in general. The second topic just has the guy mention the issue he had, and even in that first topic discussing it, I think that there wasn't even a majority of people agreeing with the OP.

I'll go with the numbers on this and say that only three people out of the huge Zoom user base have noticed an issue.

3. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

I use a pair of MS-70CDRs on a board that I run primarily into a pair of clean Peavey late 80's Bandits. I'm primarily playing clean with med output humbuckers or single coils and I use them in a shoegaze/spacey context.

IMHO the reverbs are amazing. I have a Boss GT-100 I use in my band Mercurial Void and the GT reverb sounds like reverb but the MS-70's are far better. Bigger, clearer, deeper and in several flavors from Spring, Hall, Plate, Modulated, w/Trem, Particle, Cathedral, Air ( adds subtle ambiance ), Reflection ( adds an in-the-room effect ), Ice, etc, etc.

I have never owned a Wet, Space, or Big Sky so I can't compare them but they're outstanding and worth the price of admission. Tails are optional on some of the flavors which I thought kinda odd. Seems to me that would be an option on every flavor. Maybe that is decided by the model it's trying to cop?

As for the bypass quality, I hear no noise, signal degradation, no FX trails... nothing. I've got a T-Rex Crunchy Frog OD and an EQD Hoof in front of them and they don't add any noise to either/both of those dirt boxes. I haven't used the MS-70's in the FX loop of an amp very often but I have never heard artifacts from them when bypassed and certainly not when the loop is bypassed on the amp.

As for the other stuff these pedals do well, again, IMHO, chorus and digital delays. The tremolo, ZNR noise gate and the EQ are good. I find the phaser, pitch effects and 'analog' delays lacking compared to the quality of the verbs and digital delays. Being able to stack up to 6 fx in a patch and bypass it all in one stomp is pretty handy. I don't know of any other device out there that sounds as good, works as simply and powerfully and is as inexpensive. I obviously love the MS-70CDR, I have 2 of them.

4. Onemileguy

Onemileguy Member

I've had 2 MS-70s, the first pedal I bought, had a weird "ghost" tone that could be heard when the pedal was bypass mode. It sounded like it was underneath the sound, barely noticeable at all but I was being anal at the time and took it back to the "national big box store." When the sales person plug it up the issue was not present, I insisted they give me credit and I found a bought another MS 70... Which by the way has NO ghost tones or bleeding while bypass. Who knows why the first pedal had the issue intermittently, maybe it was the one spot I powered it with or maybe the wiring/phasing issue in my old house. Bottom line, the zoom still lives on my pedal board, their are awesome reverbs and delays I could never have without shelling out major money for. Great pedal if your on a buget, just play before you buy...

5. Phats

Phats Senior Member

6. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I had an MS-50G and a CDR. I thought the reverbs and delays were great for the price. The pedal's bypass might have killed my top end a skooch. It was very slight and you might not even notice it. I never incorporated them into my entire rig so I don't really know the severity of what I might have been hearing as far as the bypass tone goes.

They sounded good, regardless.

7. kboman

kboman Member

I used to own an MS-70cdr. For the money, the effects are ridiculously good to the point of being unreasonable. You want value for money? Look no further. Zoom really did that part right.

What they did not get right was (IMO) mainly the bypass system - you have to either put it in a TB loop or include a bypass slot in your patches. I also got a very high-pitched, glitchy/digital background noise that I couldn't get rid of no matter how I powered the thing. I am primarily a looper so it just got too noticable.

8. Echoes22

Echoes22 Member

I was the OP from that thread. I am glad you're not experiencing any of the bypass issues but if you actually take a second to re-read the thread you linked, you'll notice that 3 out of 6 zoom users that participated in that thread reported bypass issues, so that's 50% which isn't a great track record. So if you're actually going by the numbers I'd caution that a good portion of zoom users have experienced bypass issues.

9. LaoTzu

LaoTzu Member

this is interesting because the ms70 has presets aswell it may not be as indepth as the space but your doing a similar thing. i own a space and a friend owns a ms50cdr. the algorithyms on the space are so detailed and have so much depth on them. but for functionality and price point the zoom pedals are very good value. especially when you start hooking it up to a usb host device which you can convert its usb into usable midi.

my firned who owns the zoom pedal loves it because of all the options you have for a very good price. you cant go wrong with either really id say the question is if you really care about your tone being like 20 to 30 % better. if so get the space.

10. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Okay, so looking at the numbers, you have one website with two topics (both started by the same person), with three people reporting problems.

If we look at people reporting problems, the original run of Klon KTR pedals had more TGP members reporting problems than all of the Zoom product line users.

If you look using Google, there are substantially more total topics wherein TC Electronic users report footswitch problems with the Toneprint pedal line than total people (3) reporting bypass problems with Zoom gear. That's looking for Zoom bypass problems across the entire interwebz.

I'm sorry about the experiences of those three people total who reported problems. But I have more pieces of Zoom gear which have no problems than there were total reported problems in that one topic.

And there are more people who like the MS70CDR in just the 8 TGP topics which name the MS70CDR in the title than the 3 members total who said they had bypass issues. Heck, there are more positive *topics* than total people who complained.

So yes, the numbers support that those three people are a very, very small group, and that the odds are greater in one's favor than for TC Toneprint users, or Klon KtR users, and so on.

11. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

^ That's an excellent point.

Can't notice that bleed thing on mine either, so make it 4 or whatever.

OP, just get the Zoom if you don't need the bells and whistles of the Space. Being owner of both units, I can't stop recommending the Zoom as an affordable alternative that does the job pretty damn good.
    And the fact that you can "stack" different modes in a preset, it's a killer feature that Eventide should implement on their $700 multi effects pedal.

12. megatonic

megatonic Member

13. Thedude99

Thedude99 Member

No bleed on mine either.

14. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

A bit outdated, but didn't notice any bleed when I loaned a friend's unit for a few shows/practice sessions/recording.

The effects sound great, and not just "for the money". My only gripe is the modulated reverb, which is rarely done right, or at least half as right as Boss.