• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Zoom MS70CDR - strange bypass?

Echoes22

Silver Supporting Member
I have been playing around with the Zoom MS70CDR for about a week and have been finding the bypass to be strange. When the pedal is not engaged it seems to do some unpleasant things to my signal: it seems to make everything a little more flat (less dynamic and not as much sustain) and I can hear some strange overtones when playing totally clean.

Has anyone else noticed any of these things with their pedal? Is it possible that I am not totally bypassing the Zoom (maybe I missed something in the settings section)? Thoughts?:confused:

NewDr.P

i have the ms50g and think the bypass is totally fine (in my rig at least). if theres any doubt if youre actually bypassing the whole pedal put the boss line selector model first in your chain and turn it off using that.

if the ms70cdr doesnt have that model im not sure what to suggest.

MetalGuitard

I have 2 MS-70's and I've not noticed any such issues. I would guess it's either a power supply issue meaning it's always there. Or, your unit is defective. Or, maybe there's an effect still on off-screen.

Gemart

I used to have an MS70CDR and MS100BT and I remember having the exact same issue. It wasn't terrible, nor was it anything to be noticed when with a band, but I noticed it; especially the way it affected distortion. It had a sort of high end sheen that almost leaked through distortion pedals when placed before them. When placed after it wasn't as bad. Again, it wasn't unusable by any means but it bugged me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echoes22

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have an MS70CDR and MS100BT and I remember having the exact same issue. It wasn't terrible, nor was it anything to be noticed when with a band, but I noticed it; especially the way it affected distortion. It had a sort of high end sheen that almost leaked through distortion pedals when placed before them. When placed after it wasn't as bad. Again, it wasn't unusable by any means but it bugged me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, this is exactly the problem I am having.. not sure yet if it bothers me enough to return the Zoom or to explore other options (like throwing the zoom in a loop)

Vulteroz

I have Zoom MS70 CDR and i have same problem when bypassed. When i play clean on the low strings there is like some cliping in the background, strange overtones. Not very noticable... But still noticable. The lack of dynamics i dont notice.

Yeah, it bugs me but what can you do. A LOT of great delays, reverbs and choruses, tap tempo that doesn't speed up like on my Line6 Echo Park...

Echoes22

Silver Supporting Member
I have Zoom MS70 CDR and i have same problem when bypassed. When i play clean on the low strings there is like some cliping in the background, strange overtones. Not very noticable... But still noticable. The lack of dynamics i dont notice.

Yeah, it bugs me but what can you do. A LOT of great delays, reverbs and choruses, tap tempo that doesn't speed up like on my Line6 Echo Park...
Yea it's definitely on the low strings that it happens the most. I tried it twice last week in a band context and could definitely hear the change of tone whenever I was playing clean (which is how I play 2/3 of the time). I have a little bypass looper that I might be able to cram on my pedalboard - if it doesn't fit I think I will probably return the zoom. This issue really is a shame because some of those reverb settings are awesome (my favorites being Space Hole, 63 Spring, and Particle Reverb).

Vulteroz

It's not that bad, some people dont even notice it. I'll keep mine, still offers a lot of inspirational sounds.:aok

Vulteroz

Hey guys, i have my MS70-CDR in effects loop now and that strange noise is gone.:cool:

It's a Fender Blues DeVille, don't know if it's series or paralell eff loop but it works like charm now.

Top Bottom