Zoom multi-Fx USB midi controller - update!

drdashdot

Aeons ago, I posted about a Zoom pedal USB controller:

Zoom multi-stomp, multi-effects USB control (MS-70CDR, G1on etc)

I'm about to start small scale production of a revised model which does away with the inbuilt touchscreen but interfaces wirelessly to Android, iOS, Windows, macOS or linux devices.
Some details on youtube:
A preview: (No audio)

An overview: (In 3 parts, with the third still to come. It's a talkie!)

Works with G5, G3, G3X, B3, all MS pedals (except MS-100BT,) G1on/B1on pedals.
Possible future expansion: G5n, G3n, other manufacturers: Kemper, Amplifire, Fender etc, plus a general purpose midi footswitch capability which is easy to program via graphical interface.
Assignable soft-touch footswitches (up to 12)

4 expression pedal inputs

Very simple but powerful and flexible graphical programming

Stand alone operation in default configuration. (Defaults can be programmed to any configuration.)

Control all parameters by wireless connection to ios, android, windows, macos, linux or using hdmi screen plus mouse & keyboard

Controls multiple pedals, with "scene" control (a combination of patch settings for the pedals plus footswitch, expression pedal and MIDI input configuration.)

Master tempo control: set tempo of MS series, G5, G3, G3X, B3 pedals. Any pedal (including G1on/B1on series) can be used as master. Master tap tempo can be assigned to a footswitch.

Midi controller (usb) interface – programmable remapping of midi input to any function(s) – similar to programming footswitches or expression pedals.

Compact cast aluminium case: 1590BB 120x94x35mm (4 switch)
Uses standard 9v supply

Practically unlimited configuration storage (not limited to 8 or 16 or 32 or even 1000 banks/registers/commands/messages/etc.)

First units should be available by the end of next month. I'll post more info in the manufacturer's forum when available.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

sixeight

Excellent work. The user interface is looking very good. Very impressive work.

Is the footpedal built around a Raspberry Pi?

Last edited:

drdashdot

Part 3 of the overview is up on youtube. It shows:
- footswitch programming from 0:04
- master tempo control from 1:33
- expression pedal function from 2:45
- MIDI input translation from 4:07

Not shown yet (either because the software still has hairs - or is only a concept) are things like
- scene control for single or multiple pedals (by defining patch, footswitch, expr pedal and midi setings per scene.)
- general purpose midi output (with easy graphical interface programming)
- interfaces to other pedals that can be controlled by usb or midi (perhaps Kemper, Amplifire, newer zoom G5n/G3n, Helix, Fender, etc...??? ) Any suggestions? Would a multipedal USB scene controller be useful to very many?

Anyway, here's part 3, which I hope you like:

Regards
Dave

kidbs

If you can make this control the Boss GT-1 and the MS-70CDR in a patch style mode that would be the incredible!

drdashdot

Excellent work. The user interface is looking very good. Very impressive work.
Is the footpedal built around a ?

Thank you for your kind words. It's not a Raspberry Pi, rather an Allwinner based SBC. The RPi is not as suitable, I think, for several reasons.

Very cool, was just tinkering with mine last night...great sounds.
Hi flcmcya. They are very cool, and easier to tinker with when you have all controls at your fingertips.

drdashdot

If you can make this control the Boss GT-1 and the MS-70CDR in a patch style mode that would be the incredible!

It should be possible to control anything that accepts a midi input. From what I've seen of the GT-1 (which is not a lot,) that should be possible.

Is there an online midi reference for the GT-1?

drdashdot

Bump for any updates!

Edit: Wonder if it'd be compatible with the A3 as well!

Thanks for the bump. Load testing has shown up a wee problem with 1 series pedals (which seem to have fewer resources allocated for UI functions.) That's fixed I think. That's delayed things a bit, but still looking to gear up at the end of this month.
(I really must start up a Facebook page for this ...)

I don't know about the A3, but I'd not be surprised if it is controllable. How much control is the question - the guitar and bass pedals have a lot in common, but the A3 looks quite different. It isn't in the plan at present (and I doubt that it will be, except insofar as it can be controlled by generic midi commands.)
Have you looked into controlling it via midi command? Zoom says the USB is for firmware upgrade only, but they say that about the MS and 1-series pedals too...

drdashdot

A couple of questions. 1 is this available for purchase. 2 is there a cheap way to get 5 pin midi into this thing?

Hi MartyReasoner.
Yes (well, almost) and yes (, but ...)
A few have gone out, but there's now a delay due to Zoom's latest updates (MS-60B and MS-70CDR). This is a good thing!

It will be 1 or 2 weeks until these updates are added.
The MIDI user interface is not quite complete, but will be at about the same time.

Follow the face book page for more updates:
https://www.facebook.com/zoom.control/

To interface 5 pin midi, you will need a usb-MIDI interface. I have one like this:

s-l400.jpg

Cheap as chips: $10 (or less!) Works perfectly well for my purposes which are quite basic, but I expect it should do anything required of it. It's a pretty basic bit of hardware.

I found it by searching for "usb midi" on one of those well known sites.

drdashdot

Good question. I just tested patch changes and the pedal responds to any channel. As far as I know, there's no way to change that. (Not that I've looked into though.)

drdashdot

Bump. What is the current status of this product. Is it still being made? Are any available for sale?

Yes, still being made and available. Still keeping a low profile at present (but almost ready to take over the world!)

Last year's release was delayed by Zoom's update to the MS50G, then again by the updates to the other MS pedals.
It now has some added functions, including a class compliant USB MIDI controller interface to talk to a DAW (such as Ableton) - allowing control of the DAW by the footswitches or control of the Zoom pedals by the DAW. Basic general purpose MIDI i/o is implemented also, so other midi devices can be controlled too.
There are still a few things missing - mostly midi continuous controller assignment, and documentation is a bit light on.

I've had to increase prices a bit - US$187 for the base unit (plus shipping.) Send a message via the facebook page for more information (or ask away here...)

Dave

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom