Zoom MultiStomp tips / tricks / settings - Part 2

BeeBaa

Now that the Multistomp thread is being rebooted, I'd be curious to hear which models you tend to go back to time and time again. Just curious to know how people are using their MS's, and what models have become go-to's.

In general, I use standalone stompboxes for fuzz and distortion. So the MS fx I tend to gravitate toward include:

• Vibe (slow speed and low bias — great throb that works well in front of fuzz)
• Mojo Roller (also works well in front of fuzz, love the way it builds in intensity)
• Roto Closet (on the slow setting, adds a subtle flavor when used with fuzz [did I mention I love fuzz?])
• AnalogDLY (the Memory Man model — I put this after my amps for a little bit of warm delay)

Have recently started messing around with the Slicer. Think it could work well with drum machines for home recording.

And although I generally avoid the Zoom distortions, the Rat sim is surprisingly good. Have been using that more frequently lately.

Which MS fx do you reach for most often?

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
The "added-on" drives have what been attracting me more and more: Centaur, TS Drive, RC Drive, Sweet Drive. All of them are top notch. As for non-dirt, the Carbon Copy model is once I keep using, as well as Ambience and Shimmer Reverb. They are really doing a great job with this series.

Tmidiman

Any Idea why the OCD model was removed from Stompshare? They seem to not acknowledge the release on the website.
http://www.zoom.co.jp/news/page/1/
I was just going in to I purchase the unit tonight and watched it disappear from Stompshare! I see it was removed from the news as well.

At the moment I'm pissed, but I will wait to see if it makes a return. I hope no one sees the unit disappear from their 109BT if they already purchased it.

jrockbridge

Now that the Multistomp thread is being rebooted, I'd be curious to hear which models you tend to go back to time and time again. Just curious to know how people are using their MS's, and what models have become go-to's.
I too tend to use separate stomps for distortion but the Sweet Drive in the MS100BT is an exception. I've been using it quite a bit.

When using amp modeling, I favor the Fender Deluxe with Two Rock 112. The Marshall model is great but I needed somebody else's patch to truly appreciate it.

I like the graphic eq, auto wah, basic tremolo, flanger, analog delay (dlx memory man), multi-tap delay, spring, and plate on 100BT. I use the basic phaser to get the JPJ No Quarter effect. Phaser + tremolo can create a wild effect. I like the reverse delay with wet mix at 100 to blow people's minds. The univibe sim is excellent but I have an EX7 which has an expression pedal controlled vibe and I own a Mojo Vibe, so I only use the Zoom vibe when I grab my PT Nano board alone. I also use the Roto Closet on my Nano board but prefer my EX7 Leslie sim on my PT Jr board. I favor the Rack Comp for compressor but find most of the compressor models to be good.

Bennihana

Ive had my MS50's for about a year, I think. They are both going strong. I will say, as I think it has been mentioned before, but I keep forgetting when Im creating patches, be careful where you save them. Take your time. I have saved new patches over some really good ones that I loved because I was going too quick and not paying attention. Though most know this, continuing to spread the word to keep up awareness.

Zofu

Advice please

Flashing screen on start up?

I've had my ms100bt for 3 days and hardly used it

I used the batteries supplied but today when I plugged in the Zoom logo appeared but then kept flashing

Any thoughts?

Thanks

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
Advice please

I used the batteries supplied but today when I plugged in the Zoom logo appeared but then kept flashing

Any thoughts?

Thanks
What did you power it with? Is the supply the correct power for it (the 100BT requires 500mA). Note though that the recommended 500mA is for normal usage, but it MIGHT power up without that much...just not work correctly.

Zofu

@superdave
Thanks for the reply

I used the batteries supplied

I also tried some no-brand batteries afterwards and got the same result; flashing screen

Cheers

Tmidiman

Advice please

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Sounds like a defective unit. Get it replaced.

Zofu

Sounds like a defective unit. Get it replaced.
Problem solved!

The flashing stopped when I fitted some high quality batteries (doh)
The issue all along was having poor batteries

Cheers for the input

I love this gizmo

jrockbridge

Virtual pedal chain order.

I've always assumed that the virtual pedal-chain order in the MS50G and MS100BT was oriented right to left (3rd < 2nd < 1st) as it is in the real world. So, I thought the far right effect is first in the chain and far left is last. Is that correct? I just realized this was simply an assumption on my part. I can't find anything in the instructions that clarifies this point.

I've noticed that on the G3, the pedal order is oriented left to right (1st > 2nd > 3rd), like reading a book. Is it the same or opposite on the MultiStomp pedals?

jrockbridge

On the g3 you can set the direction in the settings. Ms100bt I don't know. .

from my Galaxy Note 3
I'll bet a Zoom preset will give us a hint. I've never paid any attention to the presets. I always make my own patches. However, the pedal order of a preset could give us the answer.

Multicellular

Virtual pedal chain order.

I've always assumed that the virtual pedal-chain order in the MS50G and MS100BT was oriented right to left (3rd < 2nd < 1st) as it is in the real world. So, I thought the far right effect is first in the chain and far left is last. Is that correct? I just realized this was simply an assumption on my part. I can't find anything in the instructions that clarifies this point.

I've noticed that on the G3, the pedal order is oriented left to right (1st > 2nd > 3rd), like reading a book. Is it the same or opposite on the MultiStomp pedals?
The CDR and MS50g are definitely right to left.

I don't know if you can change it.

ChrisVereb

I was confused about this on the G1on as well. There's a lot of presets with drives on both sides of the amp sim so it wasn't very clear. I made a patch that went "tremolo - auto wah" to sort it out....if the wah tracked to my strumming the effects order went right to left and if the wah tracked the tremolo the order went left to right. G1on turned out to be left to right (like reading a book).

Related to this - I was messing around with a preset yesterday using a non-convential effects order that I really liked. The preset used a Muff -> Octave Down -> Auto Wah. I turned off the auto wah and was really surprised at how well the octave down tracked with the muff before it. Pitch tracking isn't Zoom's strong suit, and i'm used to trying to hit pitch tracking with a clean neck pickup signal with the tone rolled back for best results. This big-muffed signal seemed to track the initial portion of the notes much better, but things would still get fluttery in the note decays. It definitely made for some fun heavy riff-age.

TL;DR - For those looking to get a distorted octave down tone, try dirt -> octave instead of octave -> dirt.

Multicellular

Related to this - I was messing around with a preset yesterday using a non-convential effects order that I really liked. The preset used a Muff -> Octave Down -> Auto Wah. I turned off the auto wah and was really surprised at how well the octave down tracked with the muff before it. Pitch tracking isn't Zoom's strong suit, and i'm used to trying to hit pitch tracking with a clean neck pickup signal with the tone rolled back for best results. This big-muffed signal seemed to track the initial portion of the notes much better, but things would still get fluttery in the note decays. It definitely made for some fun heavy riff-age.

TL;DR - For those looking to get a distorted octave down tone, try dirt -> octave instead of octave -> dirt.
wow that is surprising. I'll have to play with it.

MikeNiteRail

Anyone using the Tape Echo 3? I haven't purchased it yet as I switched iPads and while I restored purchases, it doesn't seem to have worked.

I use the Bass Booster model all the time. I am wondering if the Tape Echo 3 can match the same preamp sound from the Bass Booster with the Echo. I'd have bought it already, but I am worried I am going to lose purchases if I try to sync to my new iPad...if the Tape Echo 3 is a great model, it might be worth the try...

Trending Topics