• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Zvex BOM...not just for metal...

Joe Porto

I've had a hand painted zvex box of metal for a while. I'm not really a gain head, but wanted something that could give me a quick metal sound for the studio. Basically, I would use it with the gain on 0, and it still had an over the top high gain sound IMO.

So I was revisiting the pedal, and when putting in a battery, noticed there was an internal pot. So, I plugged in and started turning it. Turns out it's a gain knob. I ended up turning it down as low as it would go. I'm really loving the pedal now. With the external gain knob anywhere between 0 and 1/3 the way up, I can get some really nice rock tones. What's really great is the EQ, which allows me to get a really sweet mid hump. Kind of like a BOR with a 3 band EQ. The gate is still handy when stacking in front of another OD too.

Joe Porto

OK, first off, I will get some clips in the next couple days, because I'm actually really excited about this pedal now.

As far as gain, with external gain all the way down, the pedal can get completely clean with single coil pickups either picked lightly, or with the guitar volume down a bit.

I'm comparing it to the BOR, and further experimentation has shown that the BOM is more like fuzz/distortion, where the BOR is more overdrive. The BOM has more treble bite. The B/M/T controls are more like bass/treble/presence. These two pedals are actually very complimentary together, and stack really well with the BOR at the end of the chain. With the internal gain down, the BOM is also now a really sweet boost pedal to push an amp. It's actually become quite versatile at the lowest internal gain setting, where before it was pretty much a one trick pony.

Trending Topics