ZVEX BoR...do I need one???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, Jan 27, 2008.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Ok guys...I am looking for a nice crunchy tone that sort of pickups where the Distortion channel on my King of Tone leaves off...something wiht more gain than the KoT but also a more crunchy gain...think first album era Billy G or Beck on Truth...maybe a little Clapton.

Im thinking a BoR might be the ticket but here is the hitch...I don't play through Marshalls...will this pedal do the trick through small Fenders...a Brown Deluxe and a tweed Super to be specific?

I hear the BoR has a bump in the lows that might help me out dealing with open back combos...

What do you think, is this the pedal for me...yes/no? Got any other ideas???

2. Mantis

Mantis Member

I was in the same position your are. I have a 65 fender bandmaster and a 50 watt marshall copy combo amp, but I wanted more gain.

I was recently at a music store in Chicago and tried out the BOR having never heard anything about. I was sold instantly and I tried about 12 other similar pedals. You will like it.

3. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

Which music store in Chicago?

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

couldn't get it to jive with my fender.... its marginally better with my ac30, but I did play it through a JTm45 once and it was heavenly.... got that "on 10" volume when I was really on 3.

5. Ohzoso

Ohzoso Member

I was wondering if the BoR can do the same JTM45 trick in front of a Tiny Terror....

6. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

I never tried the BOR but I'm interested. The only thing I can tell you is that last saturday I had the chance to test a KOTB (that I own) and a WMB side-by-side with a Fender Twin Rev Reiussue. Like the BOR the WMS is suposed to emulate a JTM45. Believe me it was amazing!!!! I bought the KOTB because a lot o people said that at low gain (I never push it) it was not different from the WMB/BOR but more versatile. A lie!!!!!!!!!! The KOTB is great but the WMB has tones of natural warmness. In the end I don't know if it's better than the BOR but I can sincerely suggest you to test the WMB or even the OCD v.3...

7. teXum

teXum Member

I have both the KoT and BoR. Allthough the BoR obviously have more gain on tap than the KoT, they are a lot different, tonally. A little bit more mids ala TS-9 on the KoT, the BoR sounds a bit more open in the mids, but has more low end, as you are already aware. I'd also say that the BoR (due to less upper mids, also does a more crunchy sound, since IN MY EARS, crunchyness is equated with less mids=less round tone.

I've also seen that Zachary Vex states that the BoR will do the JTM45-sound the best with a Marshall amp(or, at least, a Marshall-voiced amp). But, IMHO, he should also be careful to add that the BoR is a fantastic pedal with other amps as well, although perhaps in a less "Marshally" way.

I use my BoR with either a Victoria Victorilux or a Vicky 5112, which pretty much gives me both the brown and tweed sound, and I love the BoR with both amps, although I feel it gives me more of the crunchy tones already in the amps, than a direct Marshall sound. That being said, a tweed amp, with extra crunch and bass from the BoR, isn't really that far from a Marshall JTM45?

What I'm trying to say is that the BoR IMO is more of a transparent pedal with Fenders in general, with great touch sensitivity, a very useful low to mid gain range, great boost channel, all this lets the voice of the amp/guitar come through, but also adds a bit of its own vibe. The Menatone pedals are said to do a more "correct" Marshall sound with Fenders, but I haven't tried those.

Will have to listen to the Truth record again, but in regards to early B.Gibbons, in the studio, wasn't that mostly tweeds? If you aren't dead set on a "true" Marshall interpretation, I'd suggest you try out the BoR, with the amps you mentioned.

8. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

I posted this in another thread. Box of Rock into a DRRI.

Here's a little clip i put together this afternoon of the Box of Rock through my DRRI. I read a few posts asking what the BOR sounds like through a Fender, so i put this quick one together. Excuse the sloppy playing LOL
    The BOR is not just for Marshalls, sounds pretty good through a Fender too:BEER

Box of Rock volume & boost @ 9 o'clock, tone @ noon, gain @ 1 o'clock.
    DRRI volume @ 2.5, treble @5 bass @3 no verb.
    Guitar was Gibson Les Paul DC P90.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6209262

First part is the BOR without boost. Second softer part shows how the picking dynamics are, and how nicely this pedal cleans up. The last part i have the boost engaged.

Enjoy. Discuss.[​IMG]

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Oh yes, the KotB and WMB are definitely different beasts... as are the WMB and BoR!! The WMB is closer to the BoR, but it's also clearer in that you can hear more of 'your guitar' through the WMB, and it also sounds a bit more 'open'. The BoR does have better sustaining qualities though. So it all sort of depends on what application you're gunning for...

-Ben

10. StratDB

StratDB Member

I have a BoR that I use with my Peavey Delta Blues - pretty much transforms it into a Marshall and sounds heavenly. I've tried it with my DRRI and they didn't go together too well but after hearing Blues Jr's clip I think I'll try it out again.

11. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Mine sounds great through a '67 DR, '61 Bandmaster, and a JCM 800 Marshall 4104 combo. It does rock, and a real nice crunch too.

12. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

The BOR sounds awesome on my Carr Slant 6 which is very Fendery! I know what you mean re: KOT higher gain can sound fizzy on a Blackface type amp. No such issues with the BOR.

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Hmm...thanks very much guys! It sounds like this will be added to the list of must buy/try pedals! I really need something for more crunch than the KoT gives me alone...sometimes Im able to really crank my smaller amps but when I can't or when I've got a bigger amp with me I need a source or nice crunchy rock tones...this sounds like the ticket. I might pull out my pedal stash and see if anything catches my eye but if not I'll be on the look out for a BoR!

14. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

Interesting, the WMB huh? I've got to find me one of those sometime.
    Damn, i need to sell a guitar or two to get all these pedals!

15. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Yea- the WMB is a really neat pedal. Not an 'all-in-one' type thing, but great at what it does. And I just want to clarify as well that I only have experience with the PTP 6-Knob version, not the newest version.

16. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

The BOR is two SHO's (mosfet booster) with filitering for tone right?

17. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

The BOR is not two SHO's... you may be thinking Super Duper 2 in 1. The BOR is overdrive with level and tone and a Clean boost similar but not the same as the SHO... it's more of a vol boost where the SHO ad's some sparkle and highs...

18. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheHarakiriEnd [​IMG]
    No it's Brown sound in a box. Ed Guidry made it. I think it's a Bsiab with a Amz boost in front. Not sure though. I just didn't know that the Ocd was supposed to be a Marshall in a box.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheHarakiriEnd [​IMG]
    Isn't the Box of Rock just a Bsiab? If so then the Ocd failed to beat it. The ocd isn't marketed as a Marshall in a box is it (not sure)?

Total ********. I've been dealing with this rumor for months. The BSIAB uses a radically different circuit with mu amplifiers (push-pull). The BOR is all true class A circuitry, cascaded super hard-on circuits with filtering.

There is no comparison. They are two completely different animals. Anyone spreading this rumor is showing their ignorance.
    -zvex

I read this in another forum and it is what I based my statement on.

19. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

Interesting analysis of my comment, but there's several cascaded SHOs in the BOR and there's lots of other stuff too. 8^) The Super-Duper 2-in-1 is two SHOs with no filtering at all. The 47K bleeder resistor on the output of channel two is replaced with a 50K pot that gives you a master volume if you want to use it.

20. clunk

clunk Member

Zachery you make one dam fine pedal. The BoR is still my favourite OD on my board.
    I know others have commented they preffer it with single coils, my personal preference is with a Les Paul or humbuckers. To each his own.
    I remember a while ago stumbling on a few video clips on the net of Andy Aledort, of Guitar World, doing some blues instructional video. What struck me the most was the sounds he was getting plugged into a Louis Electric JTM45 1X12 combo amp with a quick one repeat slapback delay with his Les Paul. Anyway after experimenting with the BoR, Les Paul and an 800 Marshall I can say that this set up gets me very close to that sound. It doesnt nail it but does do a pretty good job of almost impersonating that JTM sound, or i should say that Louis Electric sound. Thats my take on the BoR anyway.
    I have used it with other amps too. Still sounds great. My personal preference is with a Marshall though. Thats just my taste. Im a Marshall guy.
    Anyway, keep up the good work Zach.

Clunk