Zvex Box-o-Rock! Another "this pedal rocks" thread

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mr.mattphisto, Mar 12, 2008.

1. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

I know that there are already a few threads like this..but I thought I would add another one with my personal spin on the pedal...

Signal Chain (as of today)
    Tele > Vexter Zvex BOR, RC Booster, Volume Pedal, Cusack Trem, DD-5 > Vox AC15 amp

(small setup, but I do add other pedals depending on what I am doing. that is the basic setup).

This is my first ZVEX pedal, and I was really interested in this pedal to compliment my AC15. I wanted a marshall like grind to go with the vox chime (available at any time).

I really enjoyed the MI-Audio Crunch box but wanted a tamer version of it. At the settings I was using, the Cb sounded weak. The CB is meant to be cranked all the time. The Cb is a great pedal, but just not for what I was looking for.

So after buying one from a fellow TGP'er and BoR arrives at my house, hair tie and towel intact. I started out by using just the BoR in my chain to test it out. Once I stepped on the Rock side, I was amazed. I does sound like a marshall!

It was the OD sound I was looking for. It had that Marshall thing going. It seemed to me to be more touch sensitive than most pedals I have used. I personally like the flat eq of the pedal because it did change my tone when the pedal is on or off.

the Boost side is great too. Extra volume, a little sparkle (to my ears), and that is it. I really like using the boost without the OD side for cleaner leads, or just pushing the Vox to do its own thing.

It turned my Vox into a three channel amp, with lots of options.

After placing it onto my board and gigging with it, I am still extremely happy with this pedal. I find that the pedal works really well the the RC Booster after the pedal. I use the RC booster to fine tune my EQ and make my Tele sound..."bigger".

The BoR is a great pedal. Top notch design (take look inside and Zvex pedal and enjoy the handy work), and it looks cool to.

Shortly after I got the BoR, I grabbed a Fuzz Factory...:crazy:dude

so I am becoming a bit of a zvex fan now...

2. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

Cool! Funny, but the 3 pedals you mentioned are the ones on my board. I love the RC, Zvex BOR and the Crunchbox. I've been through dozens of boutique OD/distortion pedals and those 3 are the ones I landed on. The BOR flat out rocks!

3. mr.mattphisto

mr.mattphisto Member

Yeah...the CB and the BoR can cover a lot of ground (80's cover band pedal setup!)

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

funny, the BoR (though one of my favorite pedals) just didn't work with my ac30. The bass boost really just killed it IMO - and i actually like a pretty bass-heavy sound. It ended up just getting muddy and indistinct with the open back vox cab. Sounds great if you run it closed back though.

5. jgyn

jgyn Member

The Box Of Rock does sound best with closed back cabinets- I use other pedals with my Fender DRRI.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

I've had a Crunch Box in the past and when A/B's with the OCD, I favored the OCD and sold off the CB. I'm also on the wait list for an Emma when Musicians Friend gets them in. And I may be trading my G2D Cream-Tone for a Custom Overdrive.

In the meantime, I was looking at picking up a BOR or Jetter. I have an open back cab with Scumbacks and bass is already pounding.
    Would the Jetter GSB, GSG, or GSP be a better alternative.

7. msh1283

msh1283 Member

Just picked up a BOR at lunch time. Dying to get out of here and go plug it in.

8. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

I mixed sound for a band and the guy had a EJ Strat into a BoR into a Classic 50. What a great sound.