ZVex Box of Metal Love?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dewman, Aug 26, 2008.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Anyone using these?

2. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

Im not using one, but the clips Ive heard either dont do the pedal justice or it does not sound very good. Bassy and woofy. Maybe its just the crappy internet medium. I wont spend that much on a pedal unless I'm absolutely sure that it sounds excellent. Stores don't carry them so I cant try one out.

3. blood5150

blood5150 Member

i have one... it rules, especially the on board noise gate..

4. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

I have used one a fair bit. Admittedly not at stage volume, so maybe it is a different beast at significant voume. I was not that impressed.

It wasn't metal enough for me - or maybe not the kind of metal I wanted.

It was very fuzzy and not focused enough for me. I did not like playing with the gate on and I did not like the noise when the gate was off.

It was not a bad pedal, just not that great - especially when you compare it to the rest of the Zvex line, which, IMO, are really excellent at what they do.

The other problem I had with it was that it didn't seem to like humbuckers as much as single coils - metal pedals need to play nice with humbuckers IMO.

5. fyler

fyler Member

i've got one of the new import vexters, and i love it. the clips online don't come close to capturing it's ferocity. it would probably be too fuzzy for someone looking for super tight, scooped triple-rec type sounds, but it's perfect for me. the three band EQ makes it extremely tweakable, and the gate is killer for staccato parts. honestly, i bought it out of curiosity, thinking i'd probably flip it quickly, but it's not going anywhere.

6. goldie-gold

goldie-gold Member

This just goes to show that I do not apprecieate it for what it excels at.

Just not my bag.

7. eclipseall

eclipseall Member

after this description i wont be getting one. Not my cup of tea for a high gain pedal. Ill still be using my T Rex Bloody Mary which I love.

Thanks for the descriptoin!

8. cube

cube Member

i have one, i like it it helps me get the recto type sounds its a beast , i dont like the gate , my rig is pretty quiet on its own .. i like the gate for start stop type riffs and thats about it ..
    all in all its worth checking out . its different than the clips .. and it loves humbuckers

9. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I got one a few days ago, and I must admit that I do love the Box Of Metal. It does everything I need it to do. If I stay focused on my playing, and I don't get too sloppy, then theres no problem at all.

10. Canadian Steve

Canadian Steve Member

I have a Fuzz Factory, Box of Rock and a Box of Metal and I find myself using the BOM the most. I didn't like the idea of the gate before I bought it but now I think it's essential! I've had a Boss Metal Zone and a Keeley Metal Zone and the BOM blew both of them away.

11. TaZMaNiO

TaZMaNiO Senior Member

Sounded too much like a fuzz pedal to me, perhaps good for classic/stoner metal but definately not modern metal.

+1 on it seeming to prefer single coils to humbuckers, I think it's the tone stack design...

12. benjammin

benjammin Member

Well, can someone make a clip of it that doesn't suck? :)

13. fyler

fyler Member

see, that's a good thing for me.
    sounds great with my humbuckers; but as always, we all have different ears and expectations.
    i did notice that (much like several other zvex pedals) it gets finicky if there are any other pedals before it.

14. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

The BOM does not like other pedals in front of it because it needs to see the guitar directly to make decisions about the gate.

15. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

Please let me know if this one sounds good enough. It's a direct recording using cabinet emulation...Jet Bycraft BOM.mp3

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  16. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

Did you get a chance to listen to the clip. Any opinions are welcome...Mr Vex?

Jet Bycraft BOM.mp3

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  17. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

The speaker in my Macbook Air is extremely tiny, so it's not useful for reference, and I don't have any headphones that will fit into the bizarre plug that comes with this computer. The audio jack is slightly recessed and requires a very slender cord. Sorry, I can't listen to it critically at this time!

If I thought the audio quality of the video samples I made for the BOM was not up to snuff, I would have redone them immediately. In other words, I'm satisfied with the quality of those samples. As with any pedal, beauty is in the ear of the beholder.

18. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I've had quite a few Metal Pedals and I think that the BOM beats them all. I think that the the audio quality of the video samples that you made for the BOM are up to snuff! If you get a chance to listen to the clip of my recording with some headphones or good speakers, please let me know if you think I got a good tone from your pedal. Remember, It's a direct recording using cabinet emulation. I think it sounds great! Thanks for the reply.

19. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Not a bad clip, but rather bass heavy.

20. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

Menatone's got a new pedal on the way called None more black. I heard it at the NAMM in January. It sound amazing and it doesn't use a gate.