Zvex Box of Rock Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mtmartin71, Jan 3, 2008.

1. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

I have a two amps. One is a Mesa LoneStar Special and I mate that with my Strat. The other is a Marshall 2061x/cx mini stack and I mate that with my Les Paul Classic (w/ Antiquities). Application is classic rock-type tones a low volume in an 8-person band (2-3 guitars going at any one time). My current pedal board which I'm only using with the Marshall is Bud-Wah -> Crunch Box -> Throbak Stone Bender -> ZVex BOR -> CMATMODS Deelay -> amp. The Crunch Box, Wah, and Delay are staying. What I can't seem to get along with is the BOR and possibly the Stone Bender. With my band setup, I need something to come out of the mix with a lot of people and was using the boost side of the BOR to get that with my CB. The problem with the BOR for me has been cut in the mix. The CB would sit fine and you could hear it very well. The BOR on the other hand sounded mushy and woofy in my live setting and turning up the tone and volume did not change that. I wanted the following setup of clean - dirt 1 (vintage crunch) - dirt 2 (higher gain via the CB) - Lead Boost. Need the clean and dirt volumes to be near unity. Not sure if I'm going to keep a fuzz pedal or not. I had thought I could use it as a lead boost but it did not sound so good in front of the BOR. Too much compression to where it'd fall out too much.

To help guide your suggestions, here's what's been suggested to me before that doesn't work. Running the 2061x flat out and riding the guitar volume is out. I can only run the volume at just over 2 (or just over a 1/4) without getting out of the realm of the stage volume the band will accept for a base level from me. That would mean I'd have to run everything clean and then turn up for a lead. Even then, my lead would probably be too loud.

So I've had the Timmy mentioned to me. That would be cool if I could find a used one and it fits my "dirt 1" application. I've also heard the OCD but I get mixed reviews to the point it sounds like it is too close to the BOR in that it doesn't cut live and can get too woofy. Keep in mind that I'm using my "dirt 1" sound for rhythm work.

Barring any breakthrough with a pedal, I may just go with the CB only and use the amp in a cleanish state for everything else. I'd use a boost for the CB leads and then a fuzz when going from straight amps to a fluid lead tone. Not sure if the Stone Bender will be the right one for me there. Anyhow, long post but hoping for some good feedback/confirmations.

Matt

2. RickB

RickB Member

I say try a GT-500.

3. SFW

SFW Member

While I have not played one, the G2D Custom Overdrive sounds amazing in the clips on their site. I plan on ordering one in a few weeks.

If you like the CB, you may want to check the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive. It sounds so close to the CB that the CB came off of my pedal board. The J&H also has a built in 808 circuit that you can use as a boost for solos. With the Dist and OD engaged you can dial in some wonderfully creamy tones that will sear through the mix. It's the only OD/Dist pedal that I haven't gotten rid of in five years. It's not always on my main gig board, but when I need a grab and go unit for a studio gig it's what makes the bag of tools.

4. mtmartin71

Interesting...I hadn't thought about that one before. I'd like to A/B that with my CB too.

Matt

5. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Well the timmy is an amazing rhythm crunch machine but IMO its more suited to lower gain tones like "Alright now" or Alt country tones as opposed to "back in black" type crunch. I use mine for the just breaking up type of sound which is where I think it excels along with being a clean or dirty booster.

I would look at these pedals:
    Barber Direct drive
    OCD
    Boss OD-3

6. KennethC

KennethC Member

Don't think you'll regret it... i've played it quite a number of times, and it does sound good. My friend who owns one says it's killer live.

I'm still amazed by my Dyna Red for classic, open-sounding, amp-like rock tones tho.

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

+1!
    I have the 6-knob version and after A/B-ing the BoR and the WMB, the WMB was the winner for me for that vintage crunch tone, and a more 'authentic' tone overall. Not to mention there are plenty of EQ options on it so that you don't get 'lost in the mix' as you mention had happened to you with the BoR.

-Ben

8. mtmartin71

Cool. I didn't know this one even existed. Looks like a BOR with more options and perhaps a different voicing.

9. SFW

SFW Member

The CB sounds identical to how I have my J&H setup. Where the J&H wins is in the versatility department. It can do the hot rodded Marshall tones in spades, and you can also got some nice Boogeish tones from the pedal. the contour knob makes a huge difference in the overall tone and feel of the pedal. The 808 side has a switch for the "classic" 808 tone or a flat response tone. The tone control on the 808 side has a much broader rande than a standard 808, so you can really dial in the cut factor. And the volume is just insane. From subtle to "jump out and bury everyone in the mix"... it's in the dial's range.

The only reason that it isn't currently on my board is that my Legacy doesn't play well with opamp circuits. Otherwise it's what goes to the gig.

10. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

The voicing is similar in some ways, since both the WMB and BoR are both advertised as shooting for that JTM45 type tone. Anyway, glad you're taking a look at the WMB, it's a fantastic pedal and I hope you get a chance to play through one soon!

-Ben

12. justonwo

justonwo Member

Another option would be the Menatone King of the Britains. It has the same basic functionality as the BoR, but with more gain on tap, a full EQ, a presence knob, and a voicing toggle. The boost can be activated independent of the drive channel. I would think the EQ would allow you to stand out in the mix.

13. hamfist

hamfist Member

The BoR is just a bit mid-scooped for my liking. I haven't tried the WMB yet, but if it's very similar to the BoR, but with a mid control, it would seem like a good bet, if you like the BoR tone but are just failing to cut through in a band situation.

Just imagine a BoR with full 3-band TMB EQ. Yum Yum ! I think a lot of folks would be very interested in it !

14. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

15. mtmartin71

I've seen this one mentioned a few times. In researching it though, it seems v3 has a bass boost and it can also suffer from being lost in the mix. Just curious if you're using this one live and how many other guitarists are in the mix?

Thanks,

Matt

16. cameron

cameron Member

I've been using the OCD as long as they've been available. I have a v1 and a v2, no v3. I've never have any issues about it getting lost in the mix. When I was using the v1 pedal, I was in a band with two guitars and keys. Since switching to the v2 pedal (which I prefer - though I still think v1 is a cool pedal, haven't sold it yet) I'm in a band with only the one guitar, but with a very heavy and busy keys player.

I run my pedals into a Traynor YBA-1 which is set entirely clean.

I use the OCD as my basic crunch sound, and I use an RC booster after it for leads. Works very well. For a while I was using the Catalinbread Teaser Stallion as the crunch sound, and at that time I had the Hellbilly as my lead boost. When I switched back to the OCD I found it didn't work well with the Hellbilly. The OCD/RC combo is really nice.

17. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

+1 for the King of the Britains.

I know that the Workingman's Blue and BoR are both supposed to be JTM45s, but I found in side by side tests with my particular setup that the the BoR was closer to the KOTB than the WMB. The BoR was kinda like a KOTB with fewer controls and a large amount of bass added.

The great kerrang-y AC/DC tones I could get with the BoR I could easily get from the KOTB, but not so much from the WMB, which in my opinion worked better for low gain apps.

The Indyguitarist stuff looks pretty cool, too, but I haven't played one yet (plexidrive and plextortion).

Good luck,
    BAN

I personally

18. mtmartin71

I thought the KOTB would be more like the Crunch Box but with maybe a lot more flexibility? I guess if I were willing to twiddle a little bit for different tunes, the KOTB could take the place of both pedals perhaps.

Matt

19. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

No, not at all. The CB and KOTB are not interchangeable.

I think the KOTB excels at everything from Jimi-style dirty cleans to Back in Black era AC/DC and a little beyond that.

You CAN get more gain (a lot more, actually) when you have the regular side set to high gain and then give it a healthy kick with the boost side, but it starts to get pretty noisy and unwieldy in my opinion (though still good for solos).

I like the CB for VH/80s rock and that sort of thing. In other words, I like the CB for high gain and the KOTB for low to medium high gain.

BAN

20. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

The OCD is fantastic in the mix. I play with another guitarist and never have a problem getting my cut with a tele into a HRDX head on a cab. The V3 has less bass than either of the previous versions, I have all 3.
    Granted, I replaced all the input caps with a .068

V3 has a great voice when you set the gain to 1:00 that niether the 2 or 1 can cop. Hot and smokey. Also the LP setting is useable on the V3. Not so on the 1 or 2 for me.