• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Zvex Box of Rock - Bad on Vox amps??

mingo

Is it just me or does the Zvex Box of Rock sound amazing on Fender style amps and terrible on Vox style amps???

78deluxe

Is it just me or does the Zvex Box of Rock sound amazing on Fender style amps and terrible on Vox style amps???
Sounds amazing on Marshal amps. Fender amps can get pretty boomy with the BOR.

Agree with above post, Vox amps prefer certain drives. Vox amps have quite a bit of character/EQ stuff going on their own....adding another very colored drive to that isn't always going to yield pleasing results. They need a voice that works well with it

mingo

Sounds amazing on Marshal amps. Fender amps can get pretty boomy with the BOR.

Agree with above post, Vox amps prefer certain drives. Vox amps have quite a bit of character/EQ stuff going on their own....adding another very colored drive to that isn't always going to yield pleasing results. They need a voice that works well with it
What are some suggestions of pedals that go well with them??? My Klon seems to work ok with Vox style amps, but none of my others.

78deluxe

What are some suggestions of pedals that go well with them??? My Klon seems to work ok with Vox style amps, but none of my others.
Klon
Hotcake
Rat at low gain (ala Scofield)
Most "clean" boosts.

Other pedals such as a Timmy, KOT that are relatively EQ neutral work pretty well also.

Last edited:

mmcm4

Fulldrive2 (tubescreamer-ish), RAT, Klon, and EP-Booster have all worked great for me.

BluesHarp

Klon
Hotcake
Rat at low gain (ala Scofield)
Most "clean" boosts.

Other pedals such as a Timmy, KOT that are relatively EQ neutral work pretty well also.
:aok Good ones.

Also Analogman Beano ( simply divine into a Vox ) & the Throbak ODB.

petetherock

VOX amps, particular the vintage ones, where always tricky with pedals. As far as I remember (its a long time ago I owned a AC30 Top Boost) all low/medium gain pedals like Tubescreamers sounded well whereas all types of Fuzz sounded horrible.

alamere

I love the Box of Rock into a Vox amp personally... but I absolutely agree that Vox's are picky about dirtboxes. Seems pretty hit and miss and when I switched to playing mostly Vox I ended up re-doing my entire pedal board. In fact, I ended up playing about half as many pedals..

Sniper-V

I find the BoR a little bass heavy and scooped sounding.
Voxs tend to me really mid rangy with very limited.
I actually think it's a very good match and sonically works well with each other.

BoR through Fender circuits tend to be overly bass-y and too scooped sounding.

wsaraceni

i love the box of rock as a low volume alternative to a full blown marshall. but not as much as a boost or anything like that. i did like the hotcake in front of my bad cat (cub and hot cat) which i guess is somewhat vox like.

Trending Topics