Zvex Box of Rock - how are you liking it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by john b, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Member

If anybody wants that Box Of Rock tone without the boost, but with selectable subs (to get rid of that low end boominess if wanted), and more gain on tap if wanted, I have a Zvex Distortron in perfect condition for sale. PM Me. :barf

Proton

2. lpfella

lpfella Member

I bought a box of rock yesterday. Tried it without the bands and it sounds good. The boost is really transparent and I can see me using it quite a bit. The distortion is not as transparent as my Menatone Fish Factory distortions but I kinda like that it isn't as transparent.

I understand what some people have reported about extra bass but I don't mind it, maybe even like it that way.

Wish I could push the boost more but find that the boost is way too loud compared to my amps settings so have been keeping the boost around 9-11 oclock. Anyone else notice this? Do you ever get the opportunity to really push the boost side?

Glad I got this pedal ad can see myself using it a bunch.

The boost will be used often with both the distortion side, clean and with my FF. Glad I kept the FF.

3. hangten

hangten Silver Supporting Member

the BOR works for me.
    in other words: I love it!!

tele or 335 into DRRI or 50 watt marshall 1987x OR silver face vibro champ.

this is one of my favorite pedals.
    nice work Zach - looking forward to that 2-enclosure monster you're working on...

4. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

The loose bottom of the pedal is pretty much spot on with a driven JTM45, which it was designed to emulate. I use mine with an AC30 for when I need old Marshall tone. I've had several people tell me that it sounds pretty darned spot on. If it can take an AC30 and make it Marshall-y... then it's good. Those two amps are pretty much polar opposites.

5. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

Hey,

We don't have a showroom for direct sales, so it's better for us to handle everything by mail or UPS even in town. The only direct sales we do are via the custom-paint store here at:

http://store.zvex.com

Presently, we are out of custom-painted BORs (although that could change any time).

Otherwise, Vexter BORs (cheaper, made in Taiwan, 2-year warranty) are available through any Guitar Center or Willie's American Guitars (St. Paul) and Twin Town Guitars (Minneapolis), or any of the dealers listed here:

http://www.zvex.com/dealers.html#Minnesota

The hand-painted US-made BOR (lifetime warranty, mine) is available through any of the mom-and-pop shops on that list. To my ear, the two types sound identical, but I read occasional reviews that indicate some disagreement about that. There's a famous video demo online that pits the very earliest version of the hand-painted unit against a Vexter (Taiwan) version, but it's an unfair comparison. The earliest hand-painted units had pots with different tapers from the Taiwan units. We were waiting for the audio-taper pots and used linears to get started on the first batch of hand-painted BORs, so the pot positions did not match on the two different models, and different positions were necessary to get the sounds to match. Each model was capable of identical tones, however, with some slight tweeking. Moral of the story: Don't use your eyes to adjust your pedals, folks... use your ears.

6. lpfella

lpfella Member

Played around for about 2.5 hours again this evening. I really love this pedal. I can see myself playing with it on most of the time in shape or form.

Glad I bought it.

7. tuna

tuna Member

I think I have seen the video Zachary Vex spoke of. I have been checking out a Vexster version and like it alot.

I have a D13 JRT 915 amp which has a lot of low end. I would probably get the handmade USA version, but wondering if the US version has more low end than the Vexster.

Any opinions regarding this?

Thanks

8. lpfella

lpfella Member

I just wanted to give a little review after having multiple opportunities to play my new BOR with the bands. In one band I have been using it here and there but using other dirt pedals as well.

However, the band I hoped to use it most in I am really loving how it is working out. the way I am using it is to have the distortion side on all the time but use my volume knobs to clean it up and get dirty when needed (kinda like the Zac's demo video shows). I am then using the boost for leads and parts I want to be louder and more rocking. After having used it with the band a number of times I think I will be leaving it on 100% of the time and that it will be the foundation of my sound (just wish I would have had it in the studio when we tracked our last full length). I feel like I don't need my other dirt pedals in that band now and that is such a liberating feeling.

I keep telling people who ask me about it that the Box of Rock really does live up to its name. I think it does the marshall thing very very well. I am so glad someone recommended me this pedal and that I did not hesitate to pick one up. It has been one of those pieces of gear that makes me want to play more and inspires me to try new things and I can seemingly pull off things I struggled to pull off in the past. Not enough can be said for a piece of gear that inspires.

THANKS ZAC!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  9. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

You're very welcome!

Rock on!

Zack

10. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

how do you think the BOR will sound going into a super clean amp (Twinish)?

11. thatstoneboy

thatstoneboy Member

I think it sounds great between a strat and my BF Pro Reverb and Super Reverb - and I definitely don't run those dirty.

12. BobbyRay

BobbyRay Supporting Member

I've had a couple of ZVex pedals myself, and have always come away feeling like I got something more from them than I was expecting. Fantastic pedals, cool finishes, even cooler builder. Can't say enough good things about my experience with Zach's stuff. Built like tanks and work the way they are supposed to.

I've been absolutely putting off the Box of Rock for way too long. I must get one.

13. Bensen

Bensen Member

Love the BoR, it's my main distortion since I got it about a year ago. before that I was using my Oranges distortion, cause I didn't find a dist-box that sounded right to me. The amp sounded great but I couldn't really use my delay how I like. Now I have the amp on the edge of breakup and the delay after the BoR and couldn't be happier. The BoR blends nicely with the AD30

14. matthornet

matthornet Member

I'm surprised that there's such a big love-hate relationship with the BOR out there. The first time I heard the demo video by PGS, I thought who could ever hate this box? unless you really hate the JTM45 kind of tone.

Acquired it lately thanks to Saul, plugged it into my amp & I'm really for it! Ok, the drive section isn't all that heavy for metal stuff & all but I'm really impressed how amp-like it sounds. I agree with what a user posted previously that the flabby bass is pretty spot on to a dimed JTM45. So far loving it as a distortion box & needless to say the boost is really good...

Can't really describe how the boost sounds but just adds such texture to my tone. I leave it on alot now.

15. Classic09

Classic09 Member

Recetly sold my Box of Rock because it never got used. It is a good sounding distortion but the bottom end got in the way and I foung the DLS much better for my needs. The only reason I kept it was for the clean boost. Sold that and bought the MXR MC-401 which will be arriving soon.

To me the Box of Rock sounded thin and not a lot of body.

16. Octafuzz40

Octafuzz40 Member

I loved the boost side of the BoR, but did not take to the sound on the gain side. As many people have noted, there's too much lower end for my tastes--ends up sounding murky. If that's what the original Marshalls sounded like, well, I suppose I wouldn't have much cared for them either. The pedal did clean up remarkably well w/ the guitar's volume knob, which was very cool.

I also tried the Distortron, hoping that the subs switch would fix the lower end problem of the BoR, but it still was too muffled for my tastes. I really thought the BoR was going to replace my OCD for grit and grind, but the OCD's still on the board.

17. silvertone

silvertone Member

Just got a Box Of Rock and love it. For everyone who feels there's too much bottom - you might want to try kicking in the boost (at about 9:00) with the distortion. This seems to tighten it up and focus it a little more. (although I dig just the distortion w/o boost as well)

18. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

WOw, seems like people either love this pedal or hate it. I've always wanted to try one, they seemed to be abundant in the emporium, but now that I'm looking........they're gone. Just my luck :)

19. 909one

909one Member

I had one, it was great at first. Then it fell into the wayside like all other distortion pedals I have owned; something just didn't sound right and I couldn't put my finger on it. I sold it and bought a barber half gainer. That pedal has been absolutely perfect for me. It has stopped my desire to look for another disto pedal. Now i am onto finding a good fuzz. Ironically the Fuzz Factory hasn't been doing it for me either. I just sold that.

20. floydfanatic

floydfanatic Member

I found the Zvex BOR did a better impression of a Marshall than my CAtalinbread DLS. And Im buying a BOR today! For the second time! YAY!!! Lovely pedal. Great stacker and perfect for those who like to use the vol knob.