Zvex Box of Rock - How to get the Most Gain out of it?!?!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by impactblue, Mar 18, 2008.

1. impactblue

impactblue Member

2. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Zachary Vex says this pedal should be treated just like an amp, and I agree.

Boosting it works, hitting it with another OD does, and so does hitting the front end with a fuzz.

3. coreybox

coreybox Member

I think the BOR has more gain by itself than that clip.

4. impactblue

impactblue Member

Hmm....do you guys feel the BoR doesnt have enough gain to play heavy rock???

5. cube

cube Member

i get decent crunch outta my BoR

6. impactblue

impactblue Member

Hmmm...anyone tried doing some Velvet Revolver with the BoR?

7. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

With Lp/Sg into Box into Marshall, there is some great crunch. Strat/Tele into Vox/Fender, not as much. That hasn't kept me from keeping mine on my board, and i'm Tele into a Maz 18. But it's not a huge Distortion with a capital D type pedal with this or a similar setup.

One thing that it's completely underrated for on a setup like mine: Singing, fat, lead passages.
    I tend to like real transparent low gain od's for chord stuff, and that's 90% of my playing. But for a FAT contrasting tone, the Box rules. That's where all of that insane amount of output on the volume knob comes in handy, and also where the "bassy" quality shines. Fattens a Tele up really nice.

Also, if you want more gain, experiment with keeping the boost side on all of the time. Good stuff there.

cheers
    aaron

8. impactblue

impactblue Member

Hey has any one used a boost/OD in front of the BoR to kick it into JCM800 territory????

9. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

I run a BoR through a Fender Pro Junior in rehersal and it's louder than the bass, drums, and the guitarist across from me who's got a JTM45 clone and a 4x12.

If I really, really want to kick it I have a TS-9 in front of it but then it's feedback city once I stop playing.

10. jgyn

jgyn Member

I'd say its strengths are in its 60s-70s classic rock tone. To me, it's reminiscent of a non master volume Marshall (JTM45, to be exact) on 7 or 8.

11. Greenbacker

Greenbacker Member

Yeah. What guitar/pickups are you running? Why not trow anice linear boost infront of it to see what happens. SHO!

12. impactblue

impactblue Member

Yeah will do soon! Damn man..i only just got the BoR now I'm GASin for the Crunch Box for the higher gain stuff!!!

The BoR is the awesome for what its meant to do though :D

13. impactblue

impactblue Member

Ugh...ok I don't think the BoR works too well through the AC15...it lacks crunch...!its as if theres only half the pedla...=/

14. Ohzoso

Ohzoso Member

The BoR was meant to be a JTM45 in a box and that`s exactly what it does (gainchannel), glassy, slightly midscooped and a smooth grain in the crunch/drive.

The JTM45 in the clip however was Bray-modded and although the sound quality in the clip isn`t that marvelous, i think i hear more of a 1959 or 1987 circuit (raw grain in the crunch).

So if you want a more raw grain (more aggressive tone) you are better of with a Crunchbox, Plexidrive, PlexiTone, COT50 or something like that.

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

IMO, compressors work best boosting the gain on lower or mid gain OD's such as the BOR. Using a boost pedal, just seems to add too much of something... but the compressor helps with sustain and gain. JMO.

Oh yeah, I prefer a good Ross compressor like the BYOC Clone or Keeley. Maxon CP101 works great too (on my home board).

16. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

:rotflmao

17. bradw

bradw Member

I got a BoR a couple of weeks ago and are still dialing-in to find my sweet spot. It's there somewhere although it might end up NOT being my higher gain pedal.

I'm currently working combinations of a Bad Monkey, OCD and BoR trying to find the best two or three "on all time" tones. I expect to switch between pedal combos during a set but really don't want to have to adjust knobs in the middle of a gig for a specific song.

BTW, I currently use a Gibby LP Standard through a DRRI.

Any and all feedback is welcome.

18. impactblue

impactblue Member

I think I might get the crunchbox..that way I can cover both Jtm45 and JCM800 marshall territory..and I can makeuse of the boost on the BoR =)