Zvex Box of Rock or MI Audio Blues Pro??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by smogfalls, May 7, 2008.

1. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

Hi,
    As the title implies, I have a decision to make, and a difficult one at that! I'm looking for a really organic sounding, tube-like overdrive/distortion pedal. I find the OCD to be a little too brittle sounding when used as a really low gain overdrive so I'm looking for something a little smoother.
    Anyways, the sort of sound I'm after, (roughly), would be that soaring, really dynamic, pick-sensitive Lynyrd Skynyrd lead sound!
    My only fear about the Blues Pro is that I've gotten the impression it's kinda Tubescreamer-esque, and I'm not really into that SRV sound... I might be wrong, it may well be nothing like the tubescreamer so if anyone could chime in on that I'd be grateful.
    Any suggestions would be a great help.
    Thanks very much,
    Xan

2. erikm5150

erikm5150 Member

The Blues Pro is definitely a TS-type thing. In fact, it's a modded TS.

The box of rock is like an old cranked marshall in a pedal, so that may be closer to what you are lookiong for...
    it's very tube-like, dynamic and pick sensitive... i wouldn't call it smooth, though.

3. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

hmmm, thats what I thought. Well thanks for clarifying that. Having listened to the clips of the Blues Pro it does sound alot nicer than a TS. Is it a fairly versatile pedal?

4. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

im leaning more toward the box of rock.... more versatile IMO