ZVex Box of Rock vs Homebrew Big D

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zacaoamargo, Jan 21, 2008.

1. zacaoamargo

zacaoamargo Member

Looking for a "Marshall in a Box"...
    Anything to say about this comparison?

Thanks from Brazil!

2. Crikey

Crikey Member

Oi!

I've tried quite a few "Marshall in a Box" pedals lately, and none of them really sound like a Marshall stack. Of course, there is always the issue of which Marshall you want to sound like. I like a lot of different Marshall sounds, but my favorite has to be the 1967-1969 plexi-panel JMP series.

I found the Box of Rock to be a good sounding pedal. It is said to be based on the JTM45 sound, and I found surprisingly much gain/distortion for a JTM45. I was reminded more of an early-1970s aluminum-panel JMP. The boost is a useful feature. I'm definitely keeping mine.

Some other really good pedals I've found are the Lovepedal Purple Plexi (there are a few different versions of this one; I like mine) and the Menatone King of the Britains.

I haven't heard the Big D pedal you mentioned, so we have reached the end of my ability to be helpful in your quest.

Tudo bom!

Crikey

3. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I really like my BoR. It shares OD duties with an OCD v4, a George Dennis The Tube, and a BM. You can't have too many dirt boxes!

4. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

I use the Big D (love it), and have wondered about the difference between these 2 pedals as well...I wanna get a BoR to compare. I'm a huge user of zvex as well...one of the best pedal dudes out there. hopefully somebody else can compare before I pull the trigger. i also am about to possibly do an OCD which supposedly is in that same ball-park. no help from me..sorry...but am equally interested!

5. ed_dale007

ed_dale007 Member

I have a Big D and can't sing its praises enough. For some reason I think that maybe my OCD, Klon or TS 808 reissue are going to sound better but I always come back to the Big D as my main overdrive. It just sounds Incredible.

6. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

How you guys think that the Zvex BOR will do with an Marshall 2205 amp?