1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

ZVEX Box Of Rock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bandofthieves™, Jan 13, 2008.

1. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Took the BOR out for a gig this weekend.I'm doing a House Gig for the Winter.WE cover everything from Allman Brothers to Led Zeppelin.
    My Rig is Simple.One HW Marshall KT66 Bluesbreaker and one Vox AC30 for this gig.Both are always on.
    [​IMG]

Pedalboard wise we have. RMC wah-CC2-Keeley Comp-FK1-KOT4-FD2-Fulltone DP or DS1-AMBD-AD9-H2O-RT20-AMPs split.
    [​IMG]

Guitar wise. Strats-ES335's-Les Paul's-SG-FR Strat-Tele.

First thing I noticed with the BOR was how easy it was to dial in a tone.That tone being something close to what I get when using this Rig.

[​IMG]

I was really amazed at how well the pedal cleaned up with the Volume control on all my guitars.I was also blown away by the way the pedal responded to the way I played.Very close to the way your amp does when cranked and played direct. The BOR is probably the only pedal I have been able to really use the Keeley or RMC comp with without all the extra woomp and noise usually associated with this combination.
    Next thing I noticed was how the sound of all the different guitars come through the mix.Again like playing straight in to the amp. The RMC wahs I was using(Picture,Wizard,RMC3;and Walsh model all became individually voiced wahs again. Truly amazing thing to experience with drive pedals.Every wah had it's own voice and there was no doubt when you used them.I was in Heaven.(Thanks Geoffrey Teese) Here I was in a medium size Venue playing at a relatively low volume and I felt like I was here.
    [​IMG]

or here
    [​IMG]

To be totally honest, Friday night I did use the other drive pedals on and off during the night for different textures but last night the BOR stayed on probably 90% of the time.Took me a bit to figure out exactly how to use the boost side and get it dialed in(I sing so can't be bending over every 30 seconds)once dialed in I found the combination of the two the ****.(I cheated and read the instruction insert ;) )Imagine if you will having a cranked Blackmore tone turning down the guitar volume hitting the comp and getting Free ride or Swingtown tones without HISSSSSSS!!!(Thanks Robert Keeley)..
    I got back everything I was looking for in a cranked Marshall tone the AC 30 adds something to the mix that you just have to experience.That RT20 leslie that sounds a bit sterile or with most drive pedal like mud,really worked well and I had everything from the Badge tone to Walsh's leslie tones with the guitar volume adjustment. Piece of cake.I really got inspired and pulled off some very convincing Gilmourish tones. Consistent tone,on call feedback and harmonics anytime and everytime . You know how you grab a note out of the air and let it sing and it starts to feedbackk with a harmonic and you can turn a little one way and change it? No guess work works everytime does not just give you that one note that stays the same even when you slide it down the neck...
    I will be building the new pro PT board up this week.All the drive pedals will remain on board with the BOR and BOM so I can have plenty of those background od and distortion textures when playing behind the other guitarist in the band(plenty of tones to cover in a cover band situation) But when I move back up to the louder rigs the BOR will remain on the board. If you need a lot of help from the BOR it is there if you just need a little to put things over the edge it is there.. Thanks ZVEX. You could never in a Million years have sold me on this pedal or the BOM in a forum or clip situation but now that they have been in the real World I am sold..Keep up the good work and thanks for the Tones. Keith
    PS excuse the spelin errors:)

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

BoR rules!

I really like the Boost side too.

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I'd be interested in your settings on the BOR.

4. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

dude, where are you playing a house gig and with who? I'll come out and hang out...I'm jealous, I haven't gigged once since losing the country gig...I'll see you this week at the normal place...will you be there Thursday? I have a few new toys I'd like to show you...bring the BOR :D

5. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Hey.I am not sure my setting would apply to your setup. You will have to do like I did and start with the recomended settings and go from there. My amps clean have some balls to them They are only 30 watters that clean up well with the guitar volume and are thick enough to pull off some straight blues/zep licks with a les paul. I mainly changed around the tone more than anything.Drive was between 1oclock and 3 oclock..Hope that helps. Keith

6. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

See you Thursday.I'll bring the BOR if I can remember..See ya.
    PS wish I would have picked up your DD3 I am really hating the H2O delay..Too much color to my tone.Very 80's sounding chorus in the worse way too..But I heard they fixed all that..

7. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

Nice review! I used mine tonight and it sounded huge! Love it!

8. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

1+ on the boost side!! I have a klon for a boost, but sometimes I miss....

9. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

+1000! The Box of Rock is my favorite box! Thanks Zach!

10. ford

ford Supporting Member

I really want to try a Box of Rock and a Carb...... thinking about selling my OCD v3 to fund a used BOR vexter edition.

rock

bford

11. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I've got the new AM delay, 600ms model...I'll bring it Thursday for you to check out

12. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I dig my BoR...but wish I could tame the slight bass hump.

13. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I think that bass hump is emulating the chunk you get out of a Marshall JTM-45. I have that in my Menatone WMB and I love it for certain things.

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Thanks, I have an AC30 but I've not tried the BOR with it yet. The bass was my concern. I think you answered my question though, apparently the BOR works with the AC30.

15. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Yep The AC30 is the secret weapon for me.It loves the BOR. The bass hump seems pretty easy to control for me with the guitar volume. Have fun. Keith

16. Mike T

Mike T Member

BOR into a Reverend Hellhound 40/60 for me. No complaints. Not 1. I put a Zendrive after the boost too, which can be way cool.... Have been using a Tele for years, recently got my Strat out though...

17. tenbender

tenbender Supporting Member

Recently played a gig with my '66 Tele through my Germino Club 40 using the boost of the BOR, nice thick Tele tones, totally ruled!

18. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Amen :cool:

19. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I see what you mean..... just tried the BOR and a Keeley comp in front of an AC30.

:cool:

20. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Great pedal with both my plexi and my AC-30.