ZVEX Box of Rock

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gtrfinder, Jun 20, 2008.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

Thanks Mr. Vex for a great pedal design!

This is one seriously cool little pedal. I bought one here on TGP (this place always has great gear for sale, you guys are like my pushers).

Anyways this little sucker is thick like a milkshake. I was looking for a boost pedal to put the output of my Telecaster near the output of my humbucker guitars, and was previously considering the SHO. I've also been trying to find a little pedal that would allow me to get a good base tone on gigs when it is impractical to bring my amp.
    Enter the Box of Rock: The boost side will allow me to match the pickup output of single coils to humbuckers, and the distortion side will serve as a good base tone feeding either a backline amp or the PA direct.

I've read some reviews here claiming that the bass or low frequencies were too much on the distortion side, but to me it sounds nice and warm, and the tone control can bring in plenty of edge if set past 12 o'clock.
    The boost side provides a nice clean boost, and the ability to chain the distortion and boost together is very useful.

I'd recommend this to anyone who does sessions or plays backline amps frequently. You can set the amp up clean and use this as a stepping off point.
    Hope this was helpful

2. d-b

d-b Member

agreed 1000% BOR is the foundation of my sound! I have several OD's to stack and be versatile with but the BOR is the starting place for me!

P.S. Love the low end...

3. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

I'm a big JTM45 fan, and since that is the inspiration for the BoR, it has my attention. I've got an FD2, OCD, and a treble booster clone. What would the BoR give me that those pedals don't? I've been thinking about the BoR as either a replacement for some of the aforementioned pedals, or as a compliment to them, but want to avoid unnecessary overlap.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  4. sqadan

sqadan Member

I just bought a BoR from another TGP'r and I have to say it's an awsome pedal... The boost alone is worth the price of admission... It is without a doubt one of the LOUDEST pedals I have ever heard. And it really does do the cranked JTM thing like a champ.

5. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

The BoR is my favorite OD evar....