ZVEX Box of Rocks Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bladestratford, Feb 2, 2008.

1. bladestratford

bladestratford Member

I'm interested in this pedal and have read all the reviews and watched the demos but the one question that I still have is how does the pedal sound with the drive level below noon? Everyone that demos the pedal instantly takes the drive level past noon to show off the cranked Marshall sound but how does the first half of it's drive level sound? This is the area where many OD/Dist pedal fall short but where I tend to set them. I like the idea of adding the Marshall sound to my board but I already know that I will not use the higher gain sounds as much as the lower.

2. Schwalbe

Schwalbe Member

3. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

FWIW, I never set the gain on mine past 12:00. Sounds great and cleans up really well.

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I feel it works best as a low to medium distortion/OD pedal... higher up it got a bit too saturated and muddy sounding. Great as a low gainer for sure though with nice warmth and clarity!

And it's "Box of Rock", not "Rocks". That should help in future searches on eBay or other forums ;)

5. beegmeister

beegmeister Member

There is a ton of colors below and above noon on the drive knob. I too enjoy it as a low-gain OD. Great range... Highly recommended...

Zvex has "recently" updated his demo vids on his website (at least he did for the BOR). If you haven't seen them for a while there is a moment that he turns the drive knob all the way down and back up. You may see/hear what you're wanting to know.

6. hamfist

hamfist Member

7. brianf

brianf Member

You got me thinking on this so I plugged in for you. With the gain down to 7:00 o clock there is still a nice little crunch going on. Hit the boost and it steps it up. This is a very useful tone. I had never traveled down to the left side of noon. This is great!!!!!

brianf

8. sega

sega Member

Hey Ben...I just took a look at your pedalboard, and that is what I really like, 2 rows, very nice pedals tone wise, and its very ''esthetique''.
    Congrats...

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

(thanks!) :eek:

10. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

Hi Ben!!:BEER

11. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

I think it works very well as a low gain OD, It's a very unique pedal and melds SO WELL with my amps, doesn't really sound like a pedal.. just sounds like the amp cranked up, if you know what I mean.

I agree it is best at low to mid gain... I spoke with Zachary (sp?) at the NAMM show and asked him if it would be possible to tweak the pedal to get it into JCM 800 territory, tighter bass at higher gain levels is what I'm thinking... anyways, it's a great little pedal.

12. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I kneel to you, TGIH...

:dude

13. bladestratford

bladestratford Member

Great info - thanks to all that replied! I look forward to trying this pedal out soon.

14. beegmeister

beegmeister Member

DUDE! What did he say??? Don't leave us hanging? I'd love to hear that pedal do that... You're killing me!

15. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

+1! :JAM

16. hamfist

hamfist Member

Hey dude, if you're getting extra crunch when you hit the boost, it's coming from your amp not the pedal. Remember the boost is after the OD side on the BoR.