Zvex... Damn This Addiction!!!

axpro

JUst got my first 2 zvex effects, a trem probe and a super duper 2 in 1, and I can see this becoming a nasty side addiction to go with my PRS guitars!

MAN i love these things, gritty nasty angry effects, that don't sound over "polished"

Dave Mc

E-Rock

Man, your tellin' me!!!
I currently have a 2in1, SeekTrem,Wah Probe, FuzzFactory, NanoAmp, and a new ImpAmp.
The ZVex stuff has so much more character than other pedals.

trumpus

Silver Supporting Member
I know nothing about Zvex effects, but recently have become very interested.

How do you use (ie. what type of effect) is the Super duper (from the info on the site, i really can't tell - how would i use a preamp in my chain of effects?)

I really would love to pick up a seek wah or ooh wah (whats the difference) or a seek trem or wah probe or...well...all of them!!!!

Brian

E-Rock

The Super Duper is 2 gain boosts in one pedal.
It works best in front of a good tube amp, to kick the front end harder.
If I understand correctly, the impedence of the SD is very high, so if you put it 1st in your chain (straight from your guitar) it will give you more "sparkle". However, it can overdrive your other FX, so be careful.
I put mine last, and leave channel one on all the time. Then I kick on channel 2 if I need more boost for something. Going into my old Bassman this way sounds GREAT!!!

Brakhage

I've been really wanting to try a Super Duper for my Tweed Deluxe but I've heard too many stories of it being a little on the noisey side. Any noise issues?

trumpus

Silver Supporting Member
What is the difference, exactly, between the Seek-Wah and the Ooh-Wah??

Brian

axpro

Brakhage said:
I've been really wanting to try a Super Duper for my Tweed Deluxe but I've heard too many stories of it being a little on the noisey side. Any noise issues?

I've found with the super duper, if you crank it really high (like past 3 o'clock) you end upw ith some noise, if you are cascading the 2 stages, then you get 2 noise sources.... that being said, that is a LOT of boost, i find by backing off a bit, i get great push, and only lose a little volume overall.

Dave Mc

Jumblefingers

Silver Supporting Member
Seek Wah = one footswitch no "random mode"
Ohh Wah = two footswitch, "random mode"

Cusak now makes what looks like a KILLER mod for these that adds tap tempo, the ability to select ANY number of steps from 2 to 8, reset etc. Cost $100 but seems like a resonable price as it adds a whole new circuit board. Wating to get my ooh wah from a TGM member, have a Lo-Fi Loop Junky (great!), Fuzz Factory (great/weird) and Octane (heavy). :rolleyes:

fyler

i'm there with you. i own, or have owned: a SUper Hard On, a Fuzz Factory, an Ooh-Wah 2, A Fuzz Probe, and a LoFi Loop Junky.
i really want to try a seek trem and a johnny octave.

axpro

fyler said:
i'm there with you. i own, or have owned: a SUper Hard On, a Fuzz Factory, an Ooh-Wah 2, A Fuzz Probe, and a LoFi Loop Junky.
i really want to try a seek trem and a johnny octave.
I really like this trem probe, but I am thinking i just might need a seek trem to go with it... and a mammoth fuzz, and maybe a fuzz probe....

I don't see the holidays ending with me in a positive financial position :)

Dave Mc

MarkWorth

Brakhage said:

nope. as quite as your signal chain.

Now, use crappy cables and noisy pickups and that's your own bloody fault.:Spank

Unburst

I've had the SHO, Machine, Fuzz Factory and Ooh Wah.

I've narrowed it down to the SHO and FF but I see a Fuzz Probe, LoFi Loop Junky and Nano in my future.

jordanL

"Sick pedals for rich people" was an unofficial motto for Z's stuff.

I have an early Fuzz factory, an octane 3, an SHO, a ooh wah and a loop junky. I'd like to try out his Wah probe one of these days.

NuSkoolTone

Jumblefingers said:
Seek Wah = one footswitch no "random mode"
Ohh Wah = two footswitch, "random mode"

Cusak now makes what looks like a KILLER mod for these that adds tap tempo, the ability to select ANY number of steps from 2 to 8, reset etc. Cost $100 but seems like a resonable price as it adds a whole new circuit board. Wating to get my ooh wah from a TGM member, have a Lo-Fi Loop Junky (great!), Fuzz Factory (great/weird) and Octane (heavy). :rolleyes:
Wow, I may have to check that out down the road! The fixed tempo is why I dumped my seek wah. I could never use it! Great effect though.

I find the Zvex stuff is sort of a niche product it either works REALLY well, or not at ALL in the context of the music. I have the wooly mammoth, and it's not on my (bass) board because it's also niche (to me) but it is great and I keep it around. Besides, it's so chipped and beat up from gigging I would get raped trying to sell it!

One day I 'll revisit Zvex, right now other gear purchases are just higher up in priority for me...

Trending Topics