Zvex Disortron vs. DLS

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Schappy, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Schappy

Schappy Member

Anybody tried both of these pedals?

I cant decide on which one to buy.

2. Schappy

Schappy Member

3. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

4. Braunzo

Braunzo Member

Isn't the Distotron actually a fuzz effect? Or something a bit more hectic along the lines of a fuzz? I could be wrong but that's just what I remember. The DLS is more like Nick's spin on an awesome cranked midrangey British amp. I'd say it's a pretty night and day difference if my assumptions are correct.

5. NBarnes21

NBarnes21 Member

I've had a Box Of Rock (Distortron with a clean boost added) and a DLS. They are both great pedals and pretty similar. I like the tighter low end of the DLS and the high gain option (although the Distortron has the high gain), but miss the boost of the BOR. The DLS had the edge for me, but I did like how the BOR cleaned up with the guitar's volume knob better.

6. brucesinger

brucesinger Member

I had both the DLS and the Distortron. Still have the Distortron. I think both are similar. I don't hear any "fuzz" territory on the Distortron. I thought the DLS had a more "modern-sounding" high gain, while the Distortron has a more "classic" sound.

7. jimbo13

jimbo13 Supporting Member

Compared both today. The distortron seems to have a slight edge in my opinion. However, they are very similar. I dont use high gain so I cant comment on which does the best over the top gain thing but for moderate settings the Zvex is the keeper. Again, they are almost too close to call. The ability to adjust the low end of the distortron makes it more versatile I think.

8. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

The Mastotron is a fuzz. The Distortron is a distortion, but it sounds enough like an amp to some people that they treat it as the front end of a tube amp.

9. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I am about to pull the trigger on a Distorton. I've watched video demos, and read all the magazine reviews I could find. I have two questions:

1) How quiet is the pedal quiet (vs. hissy)?

2) I am interested in using it both into clean and low gain amps. Does it do both well?

Zachary, please feel free to answer. It's great getting input from the builder.

10. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

Mosfets have a bit more hiss than other transistors, but the trade is that they sound a lot more like tubes. On the low gain setting there's very little hiss with the Distortron. Since you'll probably want to put it last in your chain, you'll likely never hear any hiss at all. On the high gain setting there is some discernable hiss but it's not annoying.

I like it into clean amps. I've heard others say that with mildly dirty amps it sounds great too. I designed it with clean amps in mind.

11. sixstring531

sixstring531 Supporting Member

I've played the BOR and currently own the DLS. I prefer the DLS for turning my already overdriven el84 amps into Marshall monsters -- but the BOR is a great Marshelesque sounding pedal as well. The boost side of the BOR is absolutely fabulous.

But for me, the DLS provided the sound I was looking for.

12. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Thanks for the answer Zachary. It's about time I get my first Zvex pedal. When money is available, there are several of your pedals that really interest me.

13. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

My Distortron arrived last night. It's a great pedal and I liked it immediately. It is the best distortion pedal I've tried for the intended tones and gain levels straight into a clean amp. I like the simplicity, even with the extra features.

The pedal cleans up with your guitar volume extremely well -- especially in the Lo Gain mode.

Zachary: The pedal is noiseless in Lo Gain mode into a clean amp, and with the Drive level lower into a dirty amp it can be noise-free also.

Although you designed it for use with a clean amp, it can be used in other applications. I have found several ways to use this pedal by itself, in combination with other pedals, and into clean and dirty amps.

Congratulations on a winning design.

14. marvelboy_04

marvelboy_04 Member

well, i played a distortron and didnt dig it.

15. telejammer

telejammer Member

I have not tried the Distortron, but I do have the "Box of Rock" . I am returning it to GC this week, not impressed with it, my OCD seems so much more open without the bassy low end and a LPD-1 boost sounds better to me,just my opinion.

16. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

I'm with ya.

I really liked the D-tron at low volumes but it did not do it for me at gig volumes. It does have one feature that it does better than any other pedal I have ever tried. It cleans up fantastically. Last gig I left the d-tron on all night and just rolled the volume knob for my cleans.

17. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

So far I have tested my Distortron at low and medium volumes through EL34 Class AB and EL84 Class A amps with great results. I have not tried band volume levels yet.

I also tried the Distorton into my old Digitech 2101 rack unit, and got some great amp sounds for silent practice with headphones.

The ability to clean up the dirt with your guitar volume is excellent.

18. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

19. jgyn

jgyn Member

My Distortron gets some pretty good JTM45 sounds (of which I own a reissue.)

20. evets618

evets618 Senior Member

It's easier to control the amount of distortion with picking dynamics on the Distortron than the DLS. The ZVex cleans up really well, the DLS, not so much. The DLS sounds more like a modern Marshall, while the Disortron is closer to a vintage JTM-45. Much more bottom end available on the ZVex, which can be a good thing with Teles. The Catalinbread may sound tighter with humbuckers. The Distortron is darker and softer, like an older amp. The DLS is brighter and more aggressive. YMMV.