ZVEX Double Rock: anybody stacked two Box of Rocks/Distortrons?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MikeSelmer, Jan 30, 2012.

1. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Hi all,

has anybody here tried to stack two ZVEX Box of Rocks or Distortrons? Basically, I'd like to know how the BoR + BoR function on the upcoming Double Rock might sound? Any info or educated quesses?

Cheers!

2. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Two stacked BORs is a boomy muddy mess.

But since the DR has the switchable subs I'm sure it won't be.

You can also look for opinions on the Super Duper 2 in 1, as the Double boost option should be rather similar.

The real key is having the switchable subs AND the boost. That should make a great pedal.

However at the suggested price of $350-400, no way I'll be getting one.

3. MikeSelmer

MikeSelmer Member

Okay, let's re-ask: experiences of Distortron + Distortron combination?

4. Kevin_28

Kevin_28 Member

Well from the little demo videos on youtube right now, it looks like there is no "box of rock" circuit in there. You have the options for either the distortron or the SHO. Granted the distortron at lo gain switch is supposed to sound the same as the box of rock, but it doesn't have that option on the double rock I believe. *shrug* Is that right?

5. ToneBum

ToneBum Silver Supporting Member

I was under the impression that the BOR is the exact circuit as the Distortron but just with an added boost?

6. Kevin_28

Kevin_28 Member

Under the lo-gain switch on the distortron I hear it's supposed to be. Hi gain is different though. So it's sort of confusing

7. wesc

wesc Member

I played a distortron the other day, and I honestly didnt notice hardly anything happen when i flipped the switch. It sounded exactly like the BoR distortion. I wouldnt really buy any of them because I can make a BSIAB pedal for about $30 and the BoR distortion is just a modified version of that.

8. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I have a Distortron and with my setup, there is a clearly audible difference in settings using the sub switch.

The BoR/Distortron circuit isn't at all similar to the BSIAB, however similar they may sound.

9. wesc

wesc Member

I was referring to the HI/LO switch. I didnt mess with the sub switch. I'm no expert at this by any means, but the schematics look similar to me. Both use FET based clipping and have a similar number of gain stages. They do have a different layout for their gain stages, but the BoR looks like a bsiabII with the gain stages cascading.

10. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Yeah, the gain switch doesn't make that drastic of a difference.

11. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Another obscure acronym... what's a bsiabII?

12. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Brown Sound In A Box 2, which is available from GGG as a kit or pcb. The bsiab2 circuit is a couple of stages similar in their topology to the Mini Booster circuit from AMZ, followed by a single jfet stage. If I am not mistaken, the BOR/Distortron are made of multiple SHO type stages.

13. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I stack a Distortron into a Box of Rock and it works very well!

The bass of a Box of Rock works fine in some setups, but not others. Works fine in mine. I've thought about getting another Box of Rock to swap for the Distortron, so I'd have 2 BOR into each other. Be nice to have the two cleans boost too..one to boost overdrive, the other to boost output/volume.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  14. the_sqautch

the_sqautch Member

Just bought the double rock and it is very different from the BOR and the distortron circuit. Upon opening the pedal up you notice that the components are all alot smaller that the components in a BOR. Actually looking at the PCB it almost looks like a really intricate computer circuit, and the craftsman ship is very evident here, if this this is hand wired then it is THE BEST hand soldering i have ever seen. Now on to the sound. It is so much more creamy and silky than any of the other ZVEX distortions. It really has what you really want in a overdrive. The boost circuit also has the drive and tone knobs available for even more control of the boost, instead of just one level knob. You can set the boost with a low drive and volume at unity and get a amazing clean tone, as you add the subs on boost your guitar becomes way more full and powerful, really amazing. The distortron circuit is also amazing as well, has the best ability to clean up with volume down or picking lightly. In one riff without messing with the pedal if you pick light to heavy it will sound like it morphed from clean to overdrive. I absolutely love it. I have all the other hand painted zvex distortions and this by far sounds the best and has the most amazing craftsmanship, and who can forget zvex's forever warranty on the handpainted, even if a switch goes bad from over use they will replace it for free. I hate when people say they are not worth the money and they can build their own, I guarantee it will not have the full amazing tone of this pedal. I love Zvex pedals, but they have absolutely outdone their selves with this one