1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

ZVex Fuzz Factory Video Demo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by michael patrick, Jan 15, 2008.

1. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Me and the singer/guitarist in my band have been cooking up an idea for online video pedal reviews. The series will be called "Pedal Pimp." We decided to start with the Fuzz Factory.

Caveats: This is a "proof of concept" test. We'll be making improvements as we go, like better lighting, tweaking the audio, and adding a second camera for a better view of the controls on the pedal.

So here, without further ado, is the world debut of "Michael Patrick: Pedal Pimp!"

Let me know what ya think...

Cheers,

MP

2. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Looks good Michael! Very informative. I would say the one thing thats missing is a better audio interface for recording the audio. Maybe throw an SM57 on your cab and put it through a firewire interface of sorts.

The biggest problem I have with audio and video demos is we never have a real reference point. So in the future maybe switch between a stock Boss pedal or something generic to contrast with the current review.

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I like the concept and the humor. Maybe show off more of the different sounds the pedals are capable of? For the Fuzz Factory: show how it cleans up on some settings, how it turns into a volume controlled theremin on others, the max gain, the minimum gain, etc. A pedal with five knobs is tough to demo!

Bryan

4. enocaster

enocaster Member

Great video! Not super useful as a demo, but very entertaining. You have a total John Goodman vibe, especially at 3:05 in the vid. Taking the delay off would make it more practical as a demo, but there are plenty of "straight" clips out there. Definitely looking forward to future installments!

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

+1 on these posts.

Entertaining though...

6. kevinsaari

kevinsaari Member

I had a lot of fun watching it, and I really hope you do more. But my critique is this: I'd like to hear more of what the pedal is capable. I personally have a fuzz factory, so I do know, but others might want to hear more settings and whatnot. :thu:

7. michael patrick

Thanks for the suggestions. All duly noted...

The Fuzz Factory demo is going to be different from other pedals we'll do. I basically only used it for spaceship noises, so I didn't have a range of cool fuzz settings to show off. We started the series off with the Fuzz Factory only because I'm trying to sell it, and we wanted to get it on tape before it was out the door...

8. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

agree with the others...very entertaining...would hope for more pedal capabilities demo with guitar playing.....and without any other effects. Would be nice to start with the clean setup for reference too.

i too will be watching for the next one :dude

props to the Jammy Bastard too!

the FF is probably a tough one to start with because it covers a lot of ground...even into the unthinkable!

9. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I liked the demo.Good job there.

But you need to show what the amp sounds like with the effect off and not use all the extra echo the whole time.

Maybe run the effect through the amp and then at the end of the clip add the other stuff to show how you sound with it as part of your whole rig etc..

Jeff

10. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Fun and funny, Michael; loved it.

11. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Fun video, I like your sense of humor..but...

1. Lose the gum
    2. You need to spend more time showing exactly what the pedal does. I can remember one instance where you were talking about what one knob did and reached up and adjusted two knobs to demo.

12. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

I enjoyed the vid. Super entertaining for sure, but I guess I would have liked a few more potential sounds that the pedal is capable of. I have a Fuzz Factory in the mail, and I can't wait to get it now!

13. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

thanks for the help guys.
    I agree with everything everyone has said.

I wasn't happy with the quality of the audio. I kept it pretty low, so you could hear Mike speak, but it lacks bite. We'll tweak that.

As for miking the cab, it's two mics in stereo, and then Mike's lavalier mic in the middle.
    SM57 on the grille --> to a Yamaha 01v mixer --> panned hard right --> XL1 camera
    ATM-25 on the grille --> to a Yamaha 01v mixer --> panned hard left --> XL1 camera

The next episode will be on Mike's signal chain, and then we'll move on to another pedal.

14. CALI68

CALI68 Member

I love it! Great info, funny as hell and the Britney shot during the gate test had me rolling!

Oh yea, the pedal sounds great too! :dude

-Chris

15. claffman

claffman Member

Great idea. I like your "presence." You can tell that you are having fun doing it. I agree that more playing and tweaking in a conventional fashion would highlight what the pedal it about. How it cleans up, different sounds you can craft. I like. I'd definitely like to see more.

16. claffman

claffman Member

The Britney shot during the gate test was pure excellence! Fixed. :)

17. radcliff

radcliff Member

The pedal sounded great....helps to have a good player doing the testing, and you guys have that.
    I think the audio and lighting are the two biggies that need help. The player is a funny guy, but I think more time on the pedal and less time on the rock-talking would be good....but don't take it out it's still adding charm.

18. r080

r080 Member

It might also be nice in further installments to hear the effects with different guitars and amps.

19. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

wow- he turned it ALL the way up!!!

20. michael patrick

Thanks for all of the observations. We've got our work cut out for us for the next episode....

Still haven't decided what pedal is going under the microscope next. We've got a lot to choose from...