Zvex: Great Customer Service and a Weird Question...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drbob1, Jun 15, 2008.

1. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

So, many years ago I bought a volume probe on the internet (before Ebay was much of an issue). As some of you may know, there's a chemical reaction between the wire and the gel that surrounded it that turns it into goo eventually. I'm getting ready to downsize, pull out my VP and discover that it's kind of a gelatin mess with the top membrane separate. I emailed Zack to find out what he suggested and he's asked me to return it, to be replaced by a new Tremelo Probe! What a class act!

Now the weird question: it turns out that there were less than 50 Volume Probes made and almost none left in the wild (he's replaced them all, many to the original owners). Should I keep this fine concept but useless in fact pedal because it's even rarer than a Clay Jones Overdrive? I'm thinking no...

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I would see if you can repair it yourself and sell it for more than a volume probe goes for.

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

id keep it, there has to be a way to replace said goo!?

it would rare as and quite a price in the not too distant future. not to mention that it already sounds cool.

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Once you're replaced the goo, it's no longer original, so a collector probably would want it in all it's useless glory. I suppose if you could come up with a way to replicate the pedal function differently, but I"m sure if that was possible, Zack would have already done it (he's a madman for experimentation). Tell you what, if anyone wants this "collector's item", PM me... Hope this isn't too much like spam.

Anyway, the main point is that Zvex is a very cool company!

5. Trauma Llama

Trauma Llama Supporting Member

Awesome customer service. Getting a response to an email is considered great customer service these days, let alone getting your pedal replaced with a new one. :AOK

6. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

isn't the trem probe reversed in function from the volume probe?

7. coreybox

coreybox Member

Yup.

8. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member