ZVEX LO-FI Junky or something else...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by elationalways, Apr 21, 2016.

1. elationalways

elationalways Member

I'm looking for a pedal that delivers that warbly, detuned, old tape echo sound. Not sure I need another delay, but I'm open to it. I play mostly ambient, post-rock, atmospheric stuff. Lot's of delay and heavy reverb.

Stumbled onto the ZVEX LO-FI Junky and thought it was pretty awesome. Anyone use this pedal before and/or does anyone have a better suggestion? Right now, I'm running a MXR Carbon Copy (pretty much all of the time), BOSS DD-5, and a Eventide TF for delay. I thought about picking up a Strymon El Capistan as well.

What do you guys think? I'm pretty happy with my setup right now. Adding a new delay could be cool, but might be too much real estate. I like the small foot print of the LO-FI junky, but I also want to get the most intense old time analog warped record type sound. Gear setup as follows:

Tele -> TC Polytune - Diamond Comp - JHS Morning Glory - Cusack Tubescreamer - Boss BD-2 - MXR Phase 90 - EHX NANO CLONE - Diamond Trem - EBVP Jr. - MXR Carbon Copy - Boss DD-5 - Eventide TF - Strymon Blue Sky - Boss RV-5 -> Silverface Twin and VHT Special 6

2. JSteed

JSteed Member

I have not played it, but you're going to get a ton of Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl recommendations (and for good reason).

dickjonesify likes this.
  3. dickjonesify

dickjonesify Member

I have used the Instant Lofi Junky (don't forget the Instant part, that's important) and it is very cool. I'm definitely a fan. The square wave setting is kind of like a tape blip sound but I wish it was random and not in time.
    I've gotten trashier sounds with an El Capistan, though. And definitely look into the Warped Vinyl. Several options out there.

4. Astronome

Astronome Supporting Member

I have both the lo fi loop junky and warped vinyl, and they both cover similar ground but in different ways obviously since one is just a looper.
    The warped vinyl is awesome, and that's what I would recommend.

5. Ev O)))

Ev O))) Member

Warped Vinyl is amazing. Instant lo fi junky is very awesome in itself.
    Joel at Chase Bliss designed the ILFJ when he worked at Zvex, so while they are different pedals they are both from the same kinda stock.
    The Lo-fi Loop Junky is another thing entirely. I love that pedal so much.

I own a Wrped Vinyl Mk1 and adore it. You will not be dissapointed with any of these options though

6. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

I have tried them all. Warped Vinyl MKii is the best. The Boss ME-70 Vibrato setting is pretty nice as well.

7. Marshal28

Marshal28 Member

A vexter series instant lo-fi junky shouldn't run you too much. I love it. I also have a CBA Warped Vinyl 2.0, but they're both on my board.

In my opinion, you get three key tones with the Instant Lo-Fi Junky:
    1. Mega squash compressor
    2. Fantastic chorus
    3. Warbly, pitch bending vibrato

There's not a ton of tweakability for each of the sounds (or maybe I'm just stuck on three sounds I love), but it's a great investment. The Warped Vinyl is made for tweakin'. I believe the ILFJ is also a little bit noiser. It is definitely more compressed (which I love).

8. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Staff Member

Warped Vinyl is pretty damn amazing, and fits what you're describing. I was playing with mine last night and it gets addictive quickly.

9. EastHastings

EastHastings Member

The El Capistan should get a similar effect when the mix is 100% and the delay time set to minimum, set modulation to your taste. I asked Caspian on facebook how they get their warped tape sounds, and that's what they said.

derekeugene and dickjonesify like this.
  10. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

As others have said, the Warped Vinyl is what you are looking for. I remember when the lo-fi loop junky first came out, I inquired if it was possible to just get the warbly effect without the delay. If I'm not mistaken, Joel (Chase Bliss) designed, or at least had a hand in designing the lo-if junky.

11. deadlands

deadlands Member

This is confusing. You are asking about a delay, but neither the Instant Lo-Fi Junky nor the Lo-Fi Loop Junky are delays?

But if you want a delay, the Source Audio Nemesis is a fine choice for warped delay sounds. With the Neuro app you can setup both time modulation and wow & flutter on any delay model. This allows for some really interesting detunings and overall warpiness. It even has a few models that are based on getting those old warpy sounds, the Oil Can engine and the Warped Vinyl engine. It's a very tweakable pedal and could easily replace your Time Factor and DD-5.

12. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

The Instant Lo-fi is cool and gets pretty wonky, but was just way too compressed for me.

Warped Vinyl is really cool. Tons of options and parameters to tweak.

I've had better luck getting those subtle warble sounds from a good tape echo. The El Cap I think would be great; anything you can control the wow/flutter or tape degradation or modulation. But it does kind of depend what effect you're wanting. The Warped Vinyl is pretty incredible if you want more noticeable vibrato / chorus warble.

13. Boba7

Boba7 Member

If you can get your hands on a cheap Line 6 Echo Park, the tape mode is awesome, its modulation brilliant, and with mix at max and delay time at min, you can get a really excellent tape emulation!

14. p.j.

p.j. Member

I had one (Lo-fi Loop Junky) and loved it except for the fact that you can't overdub with it. Does the Catalinbread Adineko do warble? Anyone have one?

15. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I really like the El Capistan for this sound, grab a favorite switch and save your "destroyed tape" sound as the favorite.

16. Astronome

Astronome Supporting Member

Yeah I also had an el capistan a while back and I always experiment with 100% Mix with delay minimum for those crazy degraded sounds, I feel like analog delays work better for me for this purpose though

17. shanetram

shanetram Supporting Member

I had the instant lofi junky twice and I just couldn't get along with the noise which is inherent to the pedal. On my way to find something similar I had a midfi pitch pirate deluxe (harder to dial in for me), v1 warped vinyl (a bit too dark for me), and wound up with a v2 eqd sea machine for my weird Warbles. If I could have an instant lofi with zero noise I'd jump on it, but the sea machine has a ton of unique sounds in it. Good luck.

18. 9520575

9520575 Member

I mostly use the moog cluster flux for vibrato/chorus. Yet, I still really like my ILFJ. A compressor/chorus/vibrato. Great pedal. The compressor is always on and very squishy. It's a straight up lush chorus pedal or vibrato pedal if you keep the mix fully wet.

The nice part is the compression which has the ability to emphasize the pitch vibrato. I pair my empress compressor with the clusterflux, yet it still isn't as nice as the ILFJ. That compressor is where it's at. If you don't want a compressor look else where.

The mid fi deluxe pitch pirate can get longer delay times, as well as feedback/regen control. If you're looking for a delay pedal and a vibrato and a chorus it's really hard to beat.

I made this comparison a while ago:

19. 9520575

9520575 Member

Actually the instant lofi junky is a delay pedal. It is about 10ms delay pedal. The warped Vinyl is also a delay pedal. Just really short delay times.

It makes perfect sense to want both. You could just get a delay that has a powerful LFO to modulate the delay time and at least a 20ms minimum of delay time. It's the same effect. It's all about minimum time.

The problem is alot delays have either minimum time that is 40 to 50 ms. OR the modulation isn't strong enough to be noticeable at those fast times.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  20. deadlands

deadlands Member

Semantics. No one uses an Instant lofi junky as a delay because it's not really a delay pedal. Yes, delay is used for the effect, but the effect itself is not delay, so it's not really a delay pedal.

guille-tgp likes this.