Zvex Lo-Fi Loop Junkie?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hw2nw, Mar 18, 2008.

1. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Anyone using one of these? Opinions?

I saw the demos on the web...it looks fantastic. As a huge proponent of delays, echos, reverbs, and loops, it seems like a natural next purchase for me to make more noise!

Just wanted to get a roll call and see who was using them, for what, and if they had any tips/tricks!

Thanks!

2. thezeng

thezeng Member

its great but not $369 great.

3. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I'm picky about noise but it was really, really hissy. I know the whole lo-fi is its appeal but it was just way too much for me. That being said it can sound very cool in the right context.

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

kind of a let down that you can only record one loop at a time.

Considering you can get a similar effect by using multiple pedals...

off the top of my head i'm thinking a looper, a low gain OD or fuzz (maybe), and a chorus/vibrato channel.

6. dad gad

dad gad Member

I've had it about a year now and it rocks! I put simple A or E chords on it and solo myself stupid. It has helped me learn possibilities. For that alone worth the price of admission. I dig the warble and scratch so much I've tracked with it and it sounds freakin unreal. Old '30s scratchy record perfect.

7. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

It's a very cool and, in my opinion, inspiring pedal. But it is freaking expensive---especially if you don't use batteries and then have to pony up for the 30 dollar baseplate.

Please, someone, sometime soon, come out with a cheap (below $150) pedal that is true bypass, has 30 seconds or so loop time and nothing else. Done. A simple, no frills, true bypass looper. Sign me up.

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

wow...so many responses in mere hours. gotta love TGP.

I agree it's pretty freaking expensive...I was going to try and pick up a used one if I did. Funny thing is, not many used ones I could find out there. The lo-fi, dirty looping sounds like a lot of fun and I'd love to try one out.

9. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

I was looking for a looper for ages but always like those pedals that are a bit left of center, which the Lo-Fi certainly is. Yes it's noisy and only records one loop at a time(no over dubs), but it's also inspiring. Record a phrase, modulate it, then double up and play the same thing over the top and it just sounds freakin awesome. It is what is is, unashamedly, and I for one think it's great. If you want hi quality audio looping with all the bells and whistles, look elsewhere, but if it ticks your boxes, you'll love it.

10. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

A while back I bought one used at a good price and it was in excellent condition. I liked it. It was useful but in many ways I was kind of disappointed with it, so I sold it. Now that time has passed I find myself wishing I hadn't. Looking back, it's a really unique pedal and a great writing tool and jam buddy. I'll probably end up buying another one... It is noisy, hissy, and limited. It doesn't claim not to be. If you have issues with noise or need more looping time, there are plenty others to choose from.

11. EuroCool

EuroCool Member

Buy used, it's a great pedal...

12. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

It is about as easy to use a looper as exists and the modulation/lo fi sounds are very nice...something other-worldy about it. It is simple and "fun". I've had two and sold them but I might get another. There is a "cool" factor that is not matched in mass produced pedals but is is pretty expensive. A Boss small looper might do just as well for a lot less...but is is not "cool".

13. shikawkee

shikawkee Mad King Edmund Gold Supporting Member

I love it. It's simple and doesn't sound like anything else.
    I use it for percussion loops created on my guitar or for
    ambient loops and it's superb for that. For jamming at a gig
    over repetitive chords I'd probably get a Boomerang
    or similar unit if you want higher fidelity.

14. coreybox

coreybox Member

My experience too. Not very good for laying down rhythm tracks. It also rolls of ALOT of high-end... so the loops always sound clean.

Great for moody, ambient stuff.

15. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I'm more of an ambient/texture player. I live for Fuzz Factory and Memory Man oscillation! I'm not looking for a straight looper, really, just something to make some great texture especially for live work.

16. drolling

drolling Member

I've got tons of loopers, but nothing else quite like the LFLJ! With all the cheap digital samplers from BOSS, DigiTech, Line6, etc, it's definitely not the choice for someone who only wants/needs one looper.

I call it "Bill Frisell-in-a-box" - the modulation/vibrato is as gnarly & organic sounding as anyone could wish for. IIRC, Zak says it incorporates stone-age analog telephone answering technology & it's as easy to operate as my old, dead DL-4. You'll be up & looping in seconds.

Unlike the PDS-8000, DL-4, Lexicon JamMan, Akai Headrush & most other early loopers, you don't lose your loop when you power down, and a 9 volt battery lasts forever and ever.

Very, very cool pedal..

17. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

If that's what your looking for the the LFLJ is for you! :JAM

18. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I've had mine (traded for it on here) for over a month now, and I don't think I could play without one! It's a *very* cool little box, and it makes everything sound like an old vinyl :) Also, the modulation on it is GREAT and can be very subtle or very harsh and full on... or in between. While it is quite noisey and hissy, I can easily overlook that for its other features, which I love. That said, I've got a Maneco custom Filter Eko II (several added on features over the "standard") that should be here any day and I think that might replace the lo-fi, in terms of sound quality and features, but I'm still keeping the lo-fi... Awsome pedal.

19. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

It sounds like the perfect ticket for you hw2nw. I had one for about 6 months & really liked it alot. Super cool lo-fi & vibey. If you turn up the tone control, its much closer to a standard looper tone. The modulation on the LFLJ makes it the special box that is joyous to use. I bought mine used - for under $200. Check the 'bay . . . or TGP Emporium. Great pedal. I simply didn't have a practical use for it my band(s) - but that's not really true, is it?!?

20. Panacea

Panacea Member

I love mine alot. I have had 3 different versions over the years, can't live without it. I got my silver metalflake for $225.00 shipped/W the powerplate. Look around, you can get some good deals on used ones. Zach has a 'Lifetime' warranty on the handpainted ones, so no prob buying used. Jeff [​IMG]