zvex machine settings?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by andy888, Feb 25, 2009.

1. andy888

andy888 Member

could use some help with machine settings......having trouble balancing volume drop offs and flat out craziness vs. weird fuzz.

any settings would help
    thanks!

2. thunderpuppy

thunderpuppy Member

Well, I think a lot of things change depending on what's running before or after the Machine.

I like running mine before a muff-style fuzz... that gives what is normally a smooth fuzz a lot of presence and bite... and for that I have the gain around 2:00 and I have the output volume between 9:00 and maxed out.

Playing into something slightly dirty, any sort of a crunch tone, I put the gain around 3:00 and try and set the volume for a little boost beyond unity.

One of my favorite sounds out of the Machine is to crank the gain to the Max and have the volume at a respectable boost, and feed it volume swells. People will generally ask you how you get your synth sounds, if you break that trick out live.

I generally leave the Limit knob at noon (roughly) when I use the Machine, but I've never had any trouble with volume drop offs. At lower gain, it'll sputter like an old radio getting a weak signal, but I usually feed it single note lines (it hates chords) with some decent gain dialed in... though the difference between cranking the gain and leaving the "in" knob just short of maxed out... the difference is huge.

3. andy888

andy888 Member

Thanks for the info.
    DO you mean the gain knob on your OD pedal?

I run a ZVEX BOR and FF before the machine. I LOVE love love it with the FF. makes it sound insane. Over the BOR though, it tends towards fuzz before it tends towards regular high gain. the IN knob is amazingly sensitive to these differences. Usually I have the IN knob around 1/4 of the way up and tweak from there. Limit is usually at noon but honestly Im not sure what this knob even does. I agree the Machine is better with notes. It really makes the FF go nuts though, its great.

4. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

The problem with putting distortion pedals or fuzz pedals of any kind before the machine is that the wave shape becomes too vertical, and the machine can't do it's thing with a vertical wave. I always suggest that the machine should come before distortions and fuzzes for the most dramatic effect. (by before, I mean between the guitar and distortions/fuzzes.)

Adjust the input to maximum and play a sustained chord or note. Back down the input level until the "sweep" of the machine kicks in at a timely moment.

5. andy888

andy888 Member

Great thanks Zach
    I am going to try this later tonight.
    The thing I love about this pedal (and the FF for that matter) is the amount of experimentation you can do to get crazy sounds.
    Love the Mahine. (painter forgot the C!)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

7. thunderpuppy

thunderpuppy Member

Sorry... when I say "gain" I mean the In knob and when I say "volume", I mean the Out. It's not what it says on the pedal... it's just how I think of the knobs.

But I agree totally with mr. Vex about running this thing before any other drive pedals. It's right before my distortion switcher, so I'm usually running Machine-->Rat or Machine-->Muff. The things it does being fed into a Big Muff style pedal are amazing.