ZVex pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Brian Johnston, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

Anyone use pedals from this company... very intuitive and interactive type pedals, but I have not tried them.

2. kush06

kush06 Member

Love em. Totally non-standard in the best way possible. The Super Hard On into my '66 Super Reverb was one of the single biggest tone improvements I've ever made in a single purchase. Really opens up the sound of pretty much every amp I use though.

3. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

Just bought a Box of Rock. Love it. I want more Zvex now, namely a Super Duper and a Super Hard On.

4. rich_chaffins

rich_chaffins Silver Supporting Member

Love my Box of Rock. Love love love. Also, great customer service. Knobs got knocked off and broken during a quick pack up after a gig, they sent me more, no charge, and fast. Nothing but love here.

5. Dumble's bewbs

Dumble's bewbs Member

Have a SHO, the Probe Wah should be coming in today. Good stuff.

6. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Member

I need to try an SHO then - my main amp is a '68 Super Reverb!

7. Dumble's bewbs

Dumble's bewbs Member

It does wonders. I have an old Ampeg VT-22 and it screams with the SHO.

8. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I think the company is very cool for coming up with its own designs, and Zach is one of the Grandfathers of the "new-boutique" movement. That said, the hand-painted models are very over-priced next to the competition IMO, the Vexter series is pretty overpriced considering they're made overseas, and all his fuzzes that I've tried were the worst radio-interferance pedals I've played. I have nothing but respect for Zach and his company, but I don't even even consider his pedals when I'm looking for something new anymore.

9. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Happily use a Vexter Box of Rock and a Distortron.

10. jpennington

jpennington Member

I've been using the Super Hard On for a few years. It's really a great go-to pedal for a solo boost, or even just a tone boost. Adds a lot more color to an overdrive and is even great for boosting a clean signal and controlling the breakup with the volume on the guitar. I love it!

11. pedalboy88

pedalboy88 Member

I have a fuzz factory, and would be keen for a few of the step seqencer pedals. Generally pretty original but not for the faint hearted. Maybe try before you buy if you have limited space or money.

12. magnus02

magnus02 Member

I love em but only buy used bc they arent cheap and I'm prone to flipping pedals

13. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

I ♥ Mastotron

14. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

BoR and a Fuzz Factory on my board, BoR has been my most used drive ever since I got it!

15. Keasley

Keasley Member

I own two:

Fuzz Factory. I love this pedal.

Super Duper 2 in 1. I like this pedal.

16. ParanoidAndroids

ParanoidAndroids Member

I started buying boutique pedals with ZVex (Wooly Mammoth, Fuzz Probe, and Ringtone) and now I only have one remaining (Wooly Mammoth). The prices are quite high if you're going to go the custom finish route, but honestly I'd just go Vexter at this point. He's finally rolling out some new circuits and designs, which is definitely a good thing, but there are tons of brands now which can offer similar, if not better, effects for less.

17. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Similar to some of the others, I use a BOR and a FF.
    I wouldn't replace them.

18. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I love Zachary's pedals. Their open format and general lack of constraints allows me to try new things and experiment, where more classically inspired pedals tend to be too safe for me. I currently own his Wooly Mammoth, Fuzz Factory and Machine pedals and they're capable of serious insanity. Very cool stuff.

19. calmepeter

calmepeter Member

just curious were you using a dc battery or plugged into a power supply?

20. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Tried both methods. I could move around the room and get varying radio signals. The Octane 3 was the worst, which is too bad as it was my favorite Octave fuzz I've played if I could ignore the radio.