ZVEX SHO - Know them well?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SeanKangataran, Feb 26, 2012.

1. SeanKangataran

SeanKangataran Member

There seems to be dozens of different versions of this pedal, besides the addition of the protection circuit to prevent it blowing up and the move from hand painted to silk screened finishes, what is there to know about them? Every time one appears for sale the price varies wildly!

Is it worth getting an older one over a brand new vexter? Does it matter?

2. jpennington

jpennington Member

Bought mine a few years back from ebay. Hand painted version but my friends have also had the super duper and the SHO silk screened version. I don't believe there are any differences, at least to my ears.
    I prefer the hand painted personally due to the cute little bumble bee. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  3. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

I've got an old one from NAMM '06. It's hand painted. I figure they're all great. The hand painted ones definitely look way cooler, internal differences? Who knows. I do know they all sound good though! This1smyne also makes a clone for a lot less money. It's a fantastic little pedal.

4. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

Well, isn't it a pretty simple, straight-forward little circuit? With Zvex, the difference in price is whether or not you paid a guy to paint it or not. With clones, it's people saying, "Hey, I can build that easily for way less money!" I had the Zvex Vexter, I liked it (sold it to get the BoR, which also has the circuit)

That leads to me to a different mini-rant. Why get the Zvex SHO when you could get the BoR? They both have the same boost circuit in it and they are the exact same size, and relatively closely priced in the used market..seems like you might as well get the distortron circuit put in there too. Especially considering the boost side of the BoR is completely independent..

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There aren't really any mojo parts in the SHO, no germanium for example, so all versions should sound pretty similar. Get whatever your eye and heart desires...

6. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Copied from the usual post when this comes up: The SHO and the boost in the Box Of Rock are not exactly the same. If they were, that would be a commercial suicide for the SHO since nobody would buy it... They differ in the transistor's two input bias resistors, which are 2.2M each instead of 10M each in the SHO. That also creates a difference in sound (more "glassy" and more "alive" in the SHO's upper mids).

7. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

The SHO is a bit brighter than the BOR's booster.

8. chrisross

Ok, didn't know if that was going to get brought up. They aren't the EXACT same circuit, but really close. My ears don't really hear a huge difference at all, I mean there's a little bit, but nothing that would make the audience go, "Wow, I think he changed boosts!" I actually like the BoR's boost better (it came in the mail today), sounds smoother.

9. chrisross

And this is because I don't like having 666 posts..

10. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

With the hand-painted versions you're also getting a no questions asked, unconditional lifetime warranty, not just a pretty paintjob. Something to think about...

11. chrisross

Didn't know that - that is something to think about...

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

For some pedals that's a real consideration. Not sure if the SHO is one of them. You could fix it for less than the shipping...

13. SeanKangataran

SeanKangataran Member

I saw a post on the ZVEX forum where Zachary Vex himself got pissed with people for saying there was a difference between the boosts on the SHO, SD, and BOR, when apparently it's the exact same components... His words, not mine.. I'm leaning more towards the Super Duper now, but it's tricky to find one that's not a Vexter and insanely expensive. Might have to just make do with the EP Booster for now.

14. Frankenstrat86

Frankenstrat86 Supporting Member

I hate marshalls in a box that's one reason not to get a BOR for me. Didn't like it at all. Enjoying my 2 in 1 way more

15. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks Member

I actually read different.

From his website - "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Box of Rock also contains an extremely high-headroom, unity-to-50X gain booster with nominal input impedance and low hiss. It is very similar to the SHO boost circuit, with refinements to make it sound more like a standard amp input and less glassy."

I own both. They are similar, but definitely different. I find the boost on the BOR more neutral sounding. The SHO is more glassy and has more sheen. I actually don't like the SHO with my strat because it makes my tone too bright. The BOR boost is better with my strat.

I believe the input
    [/FONT]impedance is 5 Megohms/SHO and 1.1 Megohms/BOR.
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    I really like both of them and find they both work well in certain situations.

[/FONT]

16. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

early shos had 500k input impedance (that's the langraff clean boost), newer have 5 meg ohms, theoretially... Newer ones have a millenium bypass, schould pop less when switching.

The boost in the box of rock does have a different input impedance, with a very old single coil guitar a might make a difference, the super duper is two shos, even the same pcb...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  17. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

Well, in case of doubt you might want to read his actual words (which contain the exact same info I wrote above). Here they are from an old TGP thread:

18. p.j.

p.j. Member

Mine looks just like yours except it's Myrold 12-03. Bumble bees have the most sublime tones.

PJ

19. New_Guy

New_Guy Member

The SHO has an Inputimpedance of 5 meg ohm in theory. In reality the impedance drops with introduced gain down to about 140.000 Ohms. Just to quote somebody out of the diy world called "Estragon" who analyzed the circuit further:

Changing the resistors from 10meg to 2.2meg ohms brings down the input impedance big time, as you can imagine. So the BOR Boost could color the tone by loading your guitar, even faster with single coils...

There IS a difference, altering parts alters the tone...

20. lux_interior

lux_interior Member

That's what I am also saying, that there IS a difference... As for what changes and when, it's completely natural. It's the same thing with the impedance of a speaker: they are usually rated at 4, 8 or 16Ω but in reality they can be very different according to what's happening when they are working. It's only a nominal reading.