ZVEX SHO question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bufferz, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

Hoping some of you "techys" out there can clear these up for me:

Is the dual ouput a buffered or passive split? I a wondering if using the two outs a user would experiance a tone suck similiar to coomon tuner-out issues.

Also, I read that the input "draws" a lot more than most pedals.... does this mean it should be placed first in chain or does it not matter?

Been waitig for one of these to show up on the emporium.

Cheers!

2. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the output is passive split. I popped mine open to see about rehousing it and that's what I remember seeing.

I'm looking to trade my SHO for Box of Rock. If I find a box of rock, I'll sell my SHO.

3. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

FYI, theres a zvex box of rock on emporium for 125 ppl & shipped.

4. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

I have a SHO incoming as well. I've had a couple of clones, but I've always wanted to try the real deal.

5. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

Anyone else Re: original questions?

Thanks in advance

6. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Member

The outputs are not buffered. They are simply parallel connections. Not sure what you mean by the input drawing. The input impedance is on the order of 5-10 megohms - very high. It will not load down anything that it is connected to.

Tone suck using both outputs would depend on the input impedance of whatever you are connecting to it. Using both outputs probably will not sound the same as just using one because the output signal is divided between both outputs.

Hope that helps.

7. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I've always wondered about this too. I always assumed the 2 outputs were for using 2 amps, but it seems like if each output only got half the input, it might sound weak....

Has anyone actually used both outputs? Did it work as expected?

8. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Member

It all depends on the input impedance of the things connected to it. If they have a high enough input impedance, they will each get about the same amount of signal. It won't sound exactly the same as using one input though but close enough.

I'll try it when I get mine built - about a week or so. I'll be running it into inputs with an input impedance of 1 meg ohms.

9. pvlcassic30

pvlcassic30 Member

isn't the high input impedance what gives it the sound it has? Though i read somewhere that the high impedance is why even at its lowest value on the knob its still acting like a buffer. Not sure though

10. p.j.

p.j. Member

I don't think I've ever noticed a difference in sound using one vs. two outputs.

PJ

11. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Member

Sort of. The ckt. design and component values are what give it its sound. High input impedance is a char. of the design and determines how much load will be put on the circuit it's hooked to. Loading is what colors the tone (think EB vol. pedals = tone suck).