zvex sho vs. catlinbread chili

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by QOTSA, Jul 8, 2006.

1. QOTSA

QOTSA Senior Member

I've been using my Sho for boost for a while now and I like it a lot. I've been through the klon, RC booster and TIM as well but in the end settled on the SHO for clean boost for its sparkly tone. I just got a call from a friend that says his catlinbread chili booster will blow me away. Anyone compare it to the Sho side by side, and can you offer your opinion on the differences / plus minuses. Thanks

2. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I haven't tried a SHO(yet) but I do own and love my Super Chili Picoso. It seems these pedals are fairly similar. I will say that I prefer the SCP over the RC Boost. I sold the RC just a few weeks after A/Bing it with the SCP several times. The SCP sounds really nice in front of my OCD pedal too. It's won a long term spot on my board.

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I too love my SCP, it's a long time keeper. I also preferred it to the RC Booster!

Right now I'm using the SCP on my backing board and the SPP on my main board, but that's due to trimming down my board. I"m gonna have to revisit A/B-ing those two to see which one I prefer for my main board.

I'd also like to try out a SHO

4. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I have two of each pedal. They both are good pedals and each has it's own forte'. The dual outputs on the SHO work full time, on the Chili the dual outputs only work when the gain level is set to zero. I notice more of a treble boost from the Chili, versus the SHO which has a more neutral tone to it's boost. The Chili doesn't make noise when you adjust it, like on the SHO, but the SHO does have the word crackle okay, which lets you know what to expect. Both companies have excellent customer service.
    The Chili has a built in power jack, were as on the SHO you have to spend $20 to get a power plate. Depending on the rig will then dictate which pedal I use. If I am running through a few Marshall 50 watt heads ,I use the Chili, if I running into a Groove Tube Soul-o 45, I'll use the SHO because that amp will accenuate highs more easily because of it's clean nature.

TheGrooveking

5. Damon

Damon Member

The SHO adds its own neat kinda furr when that crackle OK knob is full clockwise... of course at that point it's totally punishing the input stage of your amp.

6. Medication

Medication Member

7. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Had both and kept the SHO (actually 2 in 1 but same thing). The SCP is considerably quiter though - the only shortfall of an all time great pedal IMO

8. sandman

sandman Member

hey Grooveking,

I'm using dual outputs on SCP to bridge channels on my Twin.But they DO work if you raise the gain.I somehow like it at noon but I'm afraid I might hurt something.Can I? (guess I should email Nick anyway)

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

get your buddies SCP and try it trough your rig. you may like one better than the other, or both!

10. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

Hey Frank!

I've been using the SCP for a good while now. I use it in conjunction with my OD for a volume boost when soloing. It does a fantastic job and it is one of the most neutral boosts I've heard. IMO, the SHO added way too much top end. I think the SCP is fantastic! Highly recommended.

11. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

can you use the dual output jacks on the SCP to drive two separate amps?

12. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

13. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

thanks. am I correct in assuming because "driving two separate amps" is not listed means it can't be done.

14. Franklin

Franklin Member

:dude

How you been brother!?!!!