Zvex SHO...where in your signal chain?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by granite, Jul 5, 2006.

1. granite

granite Member

I just bought a Zvex Super Hard On and I'm curious where other users are putting it on their pedal boards.

Do you put it at the beginning of your effects, middle, or at the end? I was thinking beginning due to its high input impedence.

My board from beginning to end: Peterson Strobostomp tuner, Analogman Juicer Compressor, Pedal Doctor 4 speed OD, Empress Trem, Maxon AD9 Delay, and plan to put my incoming BJF SBEQ at the end. Where should I put the SHO?

2. Austin AL

Austin AL Supporting Member

I have a Super Duper (2 SHO's in one) and put it right after my wah and before everything else, but that might just be me.

3. jockman

jockman Member

Same here, but no wah, so it is first, just seems better there.

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

I keep mine at the end, but I also keep it on all of the time. I use it to goose my Deluxe Reverb into earlier breakup, that's where I like to be when I play clean.

As a clean boost or solo boost, it is awesome as well. I used it like that for years. Now, I use the vol. knob whenever possible to go from rythmn to lead.

5. boomchickaboom

boomchickaboom Member

I use two of 'em.

One first, one last. That way I get all the benefits they have to offer.

d

6. Medication

Medication Member

I use the super duper last. Boosts all of my fuzz and drives the amp nicely.

7. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

guitar comp dirt dirt dirt SHO amp

8. KBN

KBN Member

I keep mine at the end. Set just a little bit above unity gain.

9. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I use my Super Duper at the end of my chain. It has the most boost that way. Awesome.

10. 1968

1968 Member

Super duper first in chain....

- the way its supposed to be ;)

11. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

When I had a SHO, I always had it dead last.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Can't get a consensus here :)

Personally, I use it absolutely first, because I want to take advantage of the extra high input impedance that will get the MOST signal out of my guitar pickups. I find it absolutely helps keep my tone intact, even on things like some of my "vibe" pedals that tend to thin out the tone...

I'm not saying it is the BEST to put it first, just for me it is. Other folks have had great success putting it last to beef up the signal into the amp.
    I tried both, and decided I wanted most to preserve my signal on the way in (my thinking is, like in ALL systems, the best thing is to get good input instead of trying to adjust for lack of signal later), so I ended up using it like that. I even wrote to Zachary, asking and he gave an answer that basically is what I'm saying...you CAN use it to make your pickups sound like they did new, OR you can use it later on in the path.

Really, the answer is to try it out in both and see if one shows itself to be vastly better than another position.

13. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Mine is cheating. My pedals are in a rack, and switched in and out by a GCX, so they're all bypassed until I want the effect. I got the SHO as a "Make-it-louder" pedal. When used for cleaner leads, it's usually the first pedal the guitar signal sees. Sometimes, the comp is on, too, and it comes first. First dirt is OCD, which also seems to like to come first. I like to stack it with Timmy which comes next if it's engaged, and I set them all so that there's not too much of a volume boost with OCD and Timmy on, but I set SHO high enough to brings it up to lead levels. That works for me.

14. MK.II

MK.II Member

I do the same thing. Works great!

15. Sebastian

Sebastian Supporting Member

I liked it both at the end at the beginning, but at the end it lost a bit of sparkle, so I've got mine first now.

I like the idea of having two.

16. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

+1. Killer.

17. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Can someone refresh my memory? There are two outputs on the "out" side of the pedal...are they just duplicates for running into two amps or???

18. granite

granite Member

Well I received the SHO today. Pretty cool pedal. I play through an Orange amp which is pretty dark sounding so the SHO really adds an extra sparkle that is missing without the SHO. I tried it at the end and at the beginning and really prefer it at the beginning. It's a keeper for sure.

19. Salokin

Salokin Member

Yeah!!! I' m waiting for the super duper and have a SHO! I think I' ll keep both and put one a the beginning probably the SD and the SHO at the end.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  20. echobaseone

echobaseone Member

I have to have mine at the end otherwise it clips both my DMM and my RC-20 Looper.