Zvex SHO

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benbenben, Feb 18, 2009.

1. benbenben

benbenben Member

Hi TGPrs!

A bit interested by the SHO (and it looks cool) and what it actually does.

I know it's got REALLY high impedence, but what does that actually mean? I have a Fuzz Factory and a RMC Wah (w/ fuzz friendly technology) and a couple other pedals before my amp.

I'm using a strat with vintage style pickups. Can someone explain to me this whole "impedence" thing and what it actually does? I read about it all the time, but have no idea what it really means... is this along the lines of having a buffer in a full true bypass pedal setup? Or is that sometime completely different again?

Thanks guys!

Ben

2. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

The high impedence for the input is 1meg which means its going to like the front of an amp to what ever its infront of and won't "load" down your pickups if its first in the signal chain. It is true bypass, but only once its off- when it's on it acts like a buffer. It's a transistor-based boost that adds volume and a high-end sparkle, and as it is gradually turned up

3. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

I think the input impedence is actually more like 5 meg. Here's a quote from the ZVex website:

4. benbenben

benbenben Member

So do i have the pedal first or last in the chain?

5. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Supporting Member

The signal coming in runs through what is basically a voltage divider made of two 10M resistors. So yeah, the input impedance is hella-high.

6. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

I like running it before all my dirts (but after wah, vibe, compressor, and octave pedal). It makes everything sound a little fuller and more vibrant.

7. TheLemon

TheLemon Senior Member

Woah thats really high. Thanks for the correction

8. somedayrockstar

somedayrockstar Member

I had it first and it sounded awesome. Made my guitar sound fresh and new again. I tried it at the end and it made everything sparkle. I replaced it though with a super duper because I left it on all the time but still wanted a boost. It's LOUD!!!!

9. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

I put mine right after chorus and before delay.:AOK

10. benbenben

benbenben Member

So people just leave it on to add a bit more to their tone? I can use it as a clean boost as well right?

If I'm wanting it as a leave on all the time pedal to add to my clean where do it put it?

If I'm wanting it to be a volume boost to hit my amp a bit harder, for solos, etc, where should i put i?

This is my rig.

[​IMG]

11. aziltz

aziltz Member

i built one on a breadboard last night, very cool sound.

12. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...

Tell me more about the red pedal.

TheGrooveking

13. benbenben

benbenben Member

Just the RMC WOF Wah, but it's on this this wah pad which G-Lab sent to me to demo on youtube.

Such a handy little device. Basically, when you add a bit of pressure (coffee mug with coffeee is enough pressure) it activates the wah circuit. So it saves me having to press down hard on the pedal to turn it on and off, and i don't need to start the sweep with the pedal in toe down position which sometimes i find annoying.

Also, i can step on the corner and have a parked wah sound. It's true bypass as well so when im not stepping on it, it's fully bypassed. Very handy :)

14. Panacea

Panacea Member

Mine is last in line, on all the time.

15. Aldo

Aldo Member

Its a clean boost that adds that little high end sparkley goodness. Its a subtle thing. To quote my bass player "So you bought a pedal that does nothing?" Its not the meal. Its the pinch of salt.

In front of some pedals it may not play nice so I run mine at the end of the chain (always on) & avoid any clashes. It can be noisy. If there is a long pause between tunes I shut it off. The SHO is my favorite pedal I own.

16. benbenben

benbenben Member

Gotcha, I understand it's not really an "effect" as such right? Sorta like a compressor, it just adds to what you already have.

I've found one for fairly cheap... only about 120-130USD with the gold... He's got one in a green sparkle but it's more banged up and dinged for the same price so I'm not sure. I reckon it'd look mighty fine on my board with my fuzz factory.. :) LOVE Zvex.

17. somedayrockstar

somedayrockstar Member

You can't go wrong getting it. It was the pedal that I had been missing but didn't know it. I was getting bored with my sound and this totally brought life back into my stuff...