• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

ZZ Top box set

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
ZZ was on Stern today and I thought they tore the palce up with a very cool version of La Grange and Chartrouse.They talked about the box set to be released next month. First Album, Rio Grande Mud and Tejas are finally gonna be released with their orignal mixes . Nothing new but looks pretty cool

Hammered

Silver Supporting Member
Someone here posted mp3s for all the original ZZ recordings that were ruined when the cds came out. I will always be grateful for that but it`s gonna be really nice to a silver disc of First Album and Rio Grande Mud sounding they way they were meant to.

drewl

Yeah that was great today, Rod stewart yesterday.
Those awful mixes with the heavy gating and echo on the drums from years ago were soooooo bad.

they

Silver Supporting Member
I'm in for one.

Here's the link to the unmolested mixes. There is no comparison - the original mixes are incredible - and the difference is VERY apparent. It's not just a corksniffer debate.

http://deege.free.fr/zztop/

SteveGaines

Don't know but this is the story I heard on the RE-MIXES...Seems The Boy's owed Warner Brothers and Bill Ham such and such many albums to be done with their contract. So for every album that was remixed...that counted against the albums they owed Warner Brothers and Ham to get out of their contract.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason behind the re-mixes.

Tone_Boss

The mp3 of Tejas on amazon sounds a lot better than the cd, I wonder if that could be the original? Sounds like the linked version.

loudboy

Don't know but this is the story I heard on the RE-MIXES...Seems The Boy's owed Warner Brothers and Bill Ham such and such many albums to be done with their contract. So for every album that was remixed...that counted against the albums they owed Warner Brothers and Ham to get out of their contract.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason behind the re-mixes.
Possibly, but more likely it was Ham/record company's attempt to cash in on the Eliminator frenzy...

27sauce

It's not so much of a greed/cash in scenario, that it was anyone with a catalog of albums was remastering, rereleasing their old material on CD.

And the Boys(Gibbons) were behind the "modernization" of the remasters. The technology was there, and they thought the old mixes sounded...old.

mifar55

Damn, I just broke down last month and bought that off itunes. It had the new mixes on there :(
Hear is what Wiki has to say about Chrome, Smoke & BBQ

Chrome, Smoke & BBQ is a box set by American blues-rock band ZZ Top, released in 2003. This box set is notable for using the original mixes for all of the tracks from the band's first five albums for the first time on the CD format. This box set, and the companion release Rancho Texicano, are the only two CD releases which feature original mixes from ZZ Top's First Album, Rio Grande Mud, and Tejas, aside from 1977's The Best of ZZ Top which features two tracks from Rio Grande Mud and one track from First Album. Tres Hombres and Fandango! were reissued in their original mixes in 2006

Trending Topics

Top Bottom