ZZ Top Cheap Sun Glasses ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by billdurham, Feb 23, 2009.

1. billdurham

billdurham Member

I don't have the album, cd or anything.. heard the tune on XM today and noticed something that I hadn't in the past. There is a piano doubling the rhythm track.. I think its one of the old Wurlitzers through a guitar amp.. and whom ever played it is dead on to the guitar. Does anybody know who played it? what it is exactly.. I'm curious

BD

2. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

I'm listening to it right now. I think I hear what you're talking about, but I don't think it's a piano. The Rev. said that he used a ring mod on the song. IMO, I think that's probably what you're hearing, it would also explain why it's to tight. If it is a piano, I'd guess, and this is a pure, out of the blue guess, that Frank played it.

3. jiml

jiml Member

That is some kinda guitar with some kinda effect playing along. Love that tune.

4. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

5. billdurham

billdurham Member

I"ve heard some guys that were really good on those old Wurlys that you would swear its a guitar.. especially through a Marshall or something..

6. billdurham

billdurham Member

Good point Eric.. maybe its a guitar through a Leslie or something.. but it sure sounds like a piano to me

7. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

Thought I read somewhere there was a Hammond something or another on that tune. Gettin old...memory ain't what it used to be.

8. Stike

Stike Member

I always assumed there was a Wurlitzer doubling the rhythm guitar on CS. Van Halen's "And The Cradle Will Rock" is a Wurlitzer into a Marshall.

9. HHB

HHB Member

I hear electric piano too

10. eoshreds

eoshreds Member

Always thought it was a rhodes.

11. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

it sounds like a piano of some sort, but I think it's a guitar. You can't really do those cool little half tone slide up bits with a piano and make them sound that smooth. plus you can hear him doing an occasional little muted pick strum in between the licks

12. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

100% no doubt about it lads; that's a Wurlitzer through an amp. I love that sound... more lo-fi than a Rhodes, with a funny upper mid range honk in it that makes it the ultimate rock & roll keyboard. I know it sounds like a guitar, but once you get used to Wurlies there's no mistaking the sound.

Check out Queen's song 'Best Friend' (or whatever the title is.. The chorus is "Ooh you're makin' me live"). Similar Wurli tone there, but not as distorted and/or modulated.

One of the cool things about 'Cheap Sunglasses' is that you only hear that sound once in awhile, on that low riff when everything drops out for 2 beats. But you can hear what it is better when it doubles the little jazzy guitar chords during the instrumental part. Too cool!

13. torgeot

torgeot Supporting Member

I thought it was a Rhodes, but I'm not all that up to speed on the difference in sound between a Rhodes and a Wurli.

That said, my old cover band had 2 guitars, and I had one of those Roland guitar synths and played it with a Rhodes sound, and really made the cover of it sound right on.

I got tired of lugging around more crap, stopped bringing the guitar synth, and just doubled the rhythm part on guitar and of course no one in the audience ever noticed the difference.

14. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

yep, weve been playing this song for years.. and no one has ever compained about that part in the audience...lol... people dont care, as long as your in tune... its cool... thats why I get a chuckle out of all this tone searching at times..

15. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

I've always thought it was a whirlie/leslie overdriven.

16. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

definitely sounds like a wurlitzer 200A. i picked one of those up cheap (40 bucks) at a garage sale and it is perfect for complimenting guitar tracks. no other instrument sounds quite like it.

17. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I thought it was an electric piano, but I wasn't sure.

The only thing I can tell between electic pianos is "maybe a Rhodes" or "probably not a Rhodes".

18. blueserv

blueserv Member

Sounds like a Wurly to me.

19. wichita

wichita Member

Bad Company "Burning Sky" sounds the way it does because a Wurly is doubling the guitar.

20. billdurham

billdurham Member

I'm glad my ears aren't totally shot!! I felt pretty sure it was a Wurly.. glad that some of you guys agree.. and how about the chops of the guy playing it.. as some body said.. its damn tricky doubling the Rev period.. much less on a piano. And to the guys that have a hard time telling the diff between a Wurly and a Rhodes.. the Rhodes as a lot more top end chime to the notes than a Wurly.
    Anyway, thanks for all of the responses

BD