1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

ZZ Top/Skynryd

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Clickjack, May 16, 2011.

1. Clickjack

Clickjack Member

Saw both bands last night. ZZ Top made Skynryd sound like a garage band. I had pretty good seats, right by the sound board. Skynryd was an echoey mess (as most every band is in an arena) But ZZ top was so clean you could eat off it. Album clean, perfect tone. Even his string noise sounded perfect.

Anyone know how these guys set up and maintain that kind of sound in huge rooms? I'd love to see photos of his rig & Isolation room.

2. Blessed Tone

Blessed Tone Member

How did Skynryd's drums sound...? I have a friend who just joined their road crew and is now their drum tech... this is his first tour with them...they are touring together all month(ZZ & LS )... he may gain some insight in the mysteries of Billy's live tone...lol !

3. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

I've seen his rig. Just a rack & and a single iso cabinet mic'd to the PA.

4. Clickjack

Clickjack Member

What's he using for an amp? It nails that '68 Superlead dimed.

5. Clickjack

Clickjack Member

I can't recall really. Skynryd sounded like Skynryd. Songs all sounded right and the drums were clear and bright. The guitars were anemic, little messy all treble. But mainly they sounded like a big band with a lot of amps in a big echoey room.

Last edited: May 16, 2011