Zzounds as a reliable online company?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Drewchav, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Drewchav

Drewchav Member

So! Possibly one of the most appealing slogans a music business could have! "PAY AS YOU PLAY" so apparently you can order gear, get it sent to you, and make payments! This is sick. Anybody have experience? And can you tell me how it works as far as the agreements and stuff. I'm thinking of buying maybe an orange cabinet or a les paul or maybe just a few pedals. Also, will this help build credit?

2. whitepapagold

whitepapagold Member

GC, Sweetwater, etc ALL offer financing. And have for 20 years or more...

You are just proving why they pay AD people for slick slogans.

3. Drewchav

Drewchav Member

GC *AND* sweetwater *both*.

Well, it's also a question. So I'm asking for information not your opinion on why businesses need slogans. Like how it works, is it the same thing is applying for a credit card at guitar center or sweetwater?

4. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

Yes, it's unsecured credit and a good way to pay more than you need to.

5. partytrain

partytrain Member

It's basically a store credit card.

I suppose it would be a way for you to build credit if you need. Personally I'm wary of buying gear I can't afford to pay all at once, but to each their own.

6. Drewchav

Drewchav Member

Okay thanks guys. That's what I needed to know! I have zero credit and lately I've been hearing a lot about it and how I "need" it if I'm going to survive. I've applied to GC and got declined so I doubt I'll be approved by this place!

7. Drewchav

Drewchav Member

I'm the same way. But I can't help but to envy a buddy of mine who foolishly uses his cards to get brand new PRS's and deluxe reverbs. I buy all of my gear used. Never bought new. Not since I've started working and had finer taste than a brand new cheapy

8. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    I was mistaken. After reading through it, Pay As You Play with Zzounds is actually not credit/financing. You have to already have an established credit card for them to charge installments to.

http://www.zzounds.com/payplan

9. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

You might try financing for a smaller amount to establish credit. Maybe find something smaller you can buy on the three payment plans these places are offering?

I've bought a few things from Zzounds and been quite happy with the interactions and transactions.

10. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    See my other post, #8. Its just an installment plan, charged to existing credit card.

I'm assuming you're younger? I had the same issue establishing credit when I was in my early 20's. Its a catch 22. You have no credit history, but without any, its hard to find a creditor who will approve you in order to establish any.

11. ixnay

ixnay Member

Their plan charges you a fee for the privilege, which is why I will never use it. Other people have no problem throwing away money and think it is a good thing.

Most other companies have financing that is actually free, and most allow you to pay it off over a longer period of time (usually 12 months or more) if you wish.

Edit: I just saw you have no credit and that you already got shot down by GC, so either plan really isn't going to work for you. You need a credit card for zzounds or an account with GC (or other retailer with a free plan).

12. rotlung

rotlung Member

Zzounds is great for people with less than perfect credit. He requirements aren't as strict as GC, Sweetwster, etc.

13. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

Zzounds is great, big chunk of my PA gear has come through PAYP. They bill without hidden fees, ship fast, have reasonable return policies, you can get ahold of a real person to deal with issues, etc.

14. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

What do the asterisks mean?

15. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

Do you have a debit card? You can use a debit card to pay at Zzounds or AMS, and they will charge a portion of the sale to the card in monthly installments. If a payment is declined, you could be in some trouble though. And no, this won't help you build your credit.

16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

The fee is only like $5. The kicker is they probably won't work any deal with you price wise if you choose this path so that small fee is actually not as big of an issue as missing out on a 15% discount or similar.

Payment plans with no interest or 12 month same as cash deals are actually way smarter than paying up front (assuming that you get the item for the same amount) because the money you would earn in interests or investments with that cash in hand is higher than the zero percent interest charged by the creditor. Even if I have the money in hand I will take a no interest payment option and keep my money somewhere it's making me some money until the time comes to part with it.

17. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

The $5 fee to use the installment plan is a better option than the hit on your credit score to open a revolving charge account at GC/MF/etc, IMO.

18. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

Yeah, you can't get scratch n dent or returned items on PAYP either. Makes sense though, if they're gonna split the payments up, they want it to be on full-fare, new items.

The fees are really pretty minimal and its a good way to go for people who don't have or like to use credit cards. Its pretty amazing how many people are bagging on it. If I didn't know better I'd almost think some folks were using it as an excuse to backdoor brag about their vast credit resources, but I'm sure that's not it.

19. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Member

Perhaps you should ask them?

20. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Zzounds is a great company and I have used the monthly payment plan without a hitch.